Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Computer Hardware Recommendations?  (Read 1599 times)

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:56:47 am
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Computer Hardware Recommendations?
« on: May 19, 2020, 01:36:17 pm »
I'm looking to convert a SF Rush the rock into a multi-game driving cabinet.  I've already found the l2happ board and purchased a driving force wheel that I'll be using to wire up the controls. 

I'm looking for recommendations on a CPU / Graphics Card combo that'll handle the games I want to run.

I want to be able to run outrun2/sp, Mario Kart GP DX, and GP1/2 (Triforce) with at least a 2x upscale in dolphin, and any other racing games you guys think are worth it as far as the top-end.   I'm pretty sure i don't need to go overkill with this-- but I have no idea what to buy.

If anyone has recommendations/budget or (even better) can point me to something specific to pick up I'm all ears.   I'll eventually be replacing the NT2701 in the machine with a LCD of some kind.  I'm less concerned about "CRT Purity" with driving games, as most of The ones I want to run were med res / higher anyways and look pretty good on an LCD -- but it would be nice to have a powerful enough GPU to run some CRT shaders on some of the older ones..

Thanks in advance for any help.
--

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Computer Hardware Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 09:21:28 pm »
I'm running an actual CRT, but based on that, i would guess:

I5 2500K or newer
8GM DDR3 RAM or newer
Radeon 7990 or newer

MotownC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:54:06 pm
  • Reliving my youth, one lap at a time
Re: Computer Hardware Recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 09:54:48 am »
I am able to play the games you listed above (MAME, TP, M2, SuperModel, Demul, Dolphin, PCSX2) with the following:

i5 8400 @ 2.8 GHz
4 GB Ram
NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti

Nothing fancy but seems to work well. Struggles a bit with some RPCS3 titles that seems to require a faster processor.