Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Finance Article - 1 Million cabinets sold, Sales rising [UPDATE :2 million sold]  (Read 5984 times)

negative1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Yahoo Financials report:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/arcade-1-up-sales-surge-during-coronavirus-pandemic-122020305.html

Arcade1Up, the company that sells officially licensed arcade cabinets of popular games, exclusively told Yahoo Finance that it met two monumental sales goals.

In less than two years, the company sold its 1 millionth cabinet (which can range in price from $300 - $500)

Sales have surged 96% week-over-week since March.

later
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 02:12:39 pm by negative1 »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
Re: Finance Article - 1 Million cabinets sold, Sales rising
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 05:32:58 pm »
Lots of A1up fans out there. I suspect lots of them will be at yard sales and what not. I have debated if I'd buy one for a few bucks, or accept one for free if offered and I think I'm tapped out. All my arcade needs are being met.

Hopefully they push out some more decent games like Star Wars. A gun game or driving game would be nice.

negative1

• Offline Offline
PR Interview - David Mcintosh - Nearing 2 million units sold
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 02:11:18 pm »
Pr interview:

later

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
Cannot find them on CES exhibitor list next year.  I won't be missing the CES flu either.

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:52:39 pm
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
Give it another 6 months to a year and you'll see a gigantic influx of people coming in on reddit or even here wanting to mod them. I say they should be smarter about it and come out with a DLC type A1U. Not right now though, more money to be made putting the physical cabs out there. But later on, offer a new logic board upgrade or something that can be connected to Wi-Fi for DLC games and charge for those by the game.

negative1

• Offline Offline
Give it another 6 months to a year and you'll see a gigantic influx of people coming in on reddit or even here wanting to mod them. I say they should be smarter about it and come out with a DLC type A1U. Not right now though, more money to be made putting the physical cabs out there. But later on, offer a new logic board upgrade or something that can be connected to Wi-Fi for DLC games and charge for those by the game.

the number of people modding will always be very low compared to people that just buy
them and plug them in.

in fact, a lot of people don't even play the games more than a few times.

its basically just to build up peoples mancaves, mini arcades to have them.

arcade 1up will always be offering limited cabinets, and small numbers of games,
there's plenty of other people like atgames, and iircade that are doing the multicades,
so there's no need for them to do that.

especially when they can profit a lot more on people that buy specific cabinets, as opposed
for those that just want more games.

anybody that wants more games can easily mod it if they are so inclined.

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
arcade 1up sales did incredibly well last year:

Mat Piscatella
@MatPiscatella
Arcade Cabinets were one of the better Hardware performers in US Video Games during Q4. Double digit growth, ranking 4th in hardware dollars, trailing only Switch, PS4 and Xbox One. The Plug N Play segment, on the other hand, experienced sharp declines.

[Executive Director & Video Game Industry Advisor, The NPD Group. Formerly of WB Games & Activision. MBA-SDSU Aztec for Life. Go Padres. Tom Nook is good. He/Him]

later
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 04:04:08 pm by negative1 »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
Time to take a trip down memory lane!

At this point the jury is pretty much out with this product. There was a lot of initial excitement and buzz but poor implementation seems to have killed off any enthusiasm. Now they are relegated to the bargain bins of history...

It would be easy to conclude "there was no real market for it" but I can't help thinking that, in the hands of a real gamer, it had potential.

For me, the problem started with poor game choice. We could all play better versions of pacman and SF2 in mame for free. But... if they can secure licenses for SF2 and Pacman, surely they could have gotten Ridge Racer, Daytona, Star Wars Trilogy, T2 and other dedicated arcades. Ones where they could have added value with decent controls. Value above and beyond mame.

I might have been persuaded to part with cash for a pair of 3/4 or 2/3 size Daytona cabs that could be linked for head to head play... Or some Star Wars cabs with a real analog yoke wheel stick thingy.

What do you guys think? Potential for the idea or was it always doomed to fail?

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Time to take a trip down memory lane!

At this point the jury is pretty much out with this product. There was a lot of initial excitement and buzz but poor implementation seems to have killed off any enthusiasm. Now they are relegated to the bargain bins of history...

It would be easy to conclude "there was no real market for it" but I can't help thinking that, in the hands of a real gamer, it had potential.

For me, the problem started with poor game choice. We could all play better versions of pacman and SF2 in mame for free. But... if they can secure licenses for SF2 and Pacman, surely they could have gotten Ridge Racer, Daytona, Star Wars Trilogy, T2 and other dedicated arcades. Ones where they could have added value with decent controls. Value above and beyond mame.

I might have been persuaded to part with cash for a pair of 3/4 or 2/3 size Daytona cabs that could be linked for head to head play... Or some Star Wars cabs with a real analog yoke wheel stick thingy.

What do you guys think? Potential for the idea or was it always doomed to fail?
That color doesn’t look good on you.

I heard 90% of the purchases were wives and moms who bought them as gifts because “I know you liked the Atari games when you were little.”

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
It would be a bit shortsighted not to see the writing on the wall, They are selling machines in a climate where few are stepping up to the challenge and geared toward kids it is the perfect storm...Soooo as for the writing on that wall it says..."For a good time call Jennifer" 😬

negative1

• Offline Offline
From the forums, most of the buyers, are dads, buying them for the memories,
making mancaves, and learning how to mod.

some even see it as an entry to getting into full sized arcade machines (retroralph)

some buy it so their kids can see what old games were like.

i gave a centipede countercade and partycade to a friend as gifts.
they used to own a fullsize centipede and galaxian, and got rid of
them, because they were to unwieldy to move, and maintain.

they love the smaller size, ease of use, and convenience now.

they have a teenage daughter who is now hooked on centipede.

so yeah, there's something about making them more accessible
to adults, and kids.

later

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
Well you are not wrong, People do get rid of thier full size cabs...I been keeping a selection of 1ups (in box) by the door of my shop as bait, and when people see them Jenn is usually getting a new (old) cab out of the deal...They are pretty much for the kids however, small,cute, teach them to build someting, I would imagine it is comparable to the Barbie dreamhouse, A big toy, whatever it is the box is the best part, it sells itself...My collection doubled as result, and after selling off around 100 full size cabs, Well let's just say I like the 1up...Alot.😏.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 09:52:33 pm by jennifer »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
Oh, the writing is definitely on the wall. It’s a business model built on a fad. I suspect we will see these things on the side of the road eventually. But then again, I thought they didn’t have much time left after their first generation release.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
Oh, the writing is definitely on the wall. It’s a business model built on a fad. I suspect we will see these things on the side of the road eventually. But then again, I thought they didn’t have much time left after their first generation release.

Well MameDevs did not sue them so they dodged that bullet, so the sky is the limit apparently.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
I believe I predicted the clearance prices were going to destroy the value of their cabinets. I was wrong on that.

I also didn't think they cared enough about quality to make improvements.