Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nice Daytona USA mod  (Read 5992 times)

negative1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Nice Daytona USA mod
« on: May 15, 2020, 01:06:45 pm »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Re: Nice Daytona USA mod
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 02:01:20 pm »
Thanks for sharing this man! I'd so buy one of those if Arcade1up made an official version (God knows where I'd put it though). I saw another very nice Barcade style mini driving cabinet on Twitter created by a guy called Circuitbeard (who I thiiink is actually a member here). It's a great design, because he's made it look a bit like a scaled down version of the Deluxe Outrun cabinet, rather than a traditional upright.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 07:21:30 pm »
I don't know if they could put out a Daytona due to licensing.

It would have to be Sega Racing i would think.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of pricepoint they would have to
make it. $599 maybe?  Or maybe just for a standup version,
and $650 for a sitdown. I don't know.

I do know that people gripe about anything over $399, and even
then.

Also, would they be able to add the sequels and other games,
as most of their cabinets have multiple games.

I loved Daytona, but I don't care for any of the sequels, and I don't
feel the sequels were any better than the original.

Now granted, I have played pretty much every Sega racing game ever
released. But in the arcades, I only cared about Virtua Racing, Daytona,
Sega Rally and Indy 500. The rest I've played on home ports, and emulators.

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 10:03:37 am »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 01:58:54 pm »

I just had a little check on the PlayStation Store and you can still buy Daytona USA for PS3, so as far as Sega'a concerned I don't think licensing would be an issue. How that would work with a third party making the hardware I've no idea (obviously hasn't been an issue for stuff like Marvel Super Heroes and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles though). If they added in Daytona USA 2 and some of their other racers, that wouldn't present licensing issues, I'd be sold. Virtua Racing should be fine I'd have thought (unless the recent Sega AGES Switch game ties it up). They could add the version of Outrun that's had the Ferrari changed and Outrunners, although TBH, I'd almost rather see those in a dedicated Outrun cabinet. Indy 500 should be fair game (I think). They could even add in stuff like Super Hang-On or more obscure stuff like AB Cop. I would be happy paying big bucks for one of those.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 04:04:54 pm »

I just had a little check on the PlayStation Store and you can still buy Daytona USA for PS3, so as far as Sega'a concerned I don't think licensing would be an issue. How that would work with a third party making the hardware I've no idea (obviously hasn't been an issue for stuff like Marvel Super Heroes and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles though). If they added in Daytona USA 2 and some of their other racers, that wouldn't present licensing issues, I'd be sold. Virtua Racing should be fine I'd have thought (unless the recent Sega AGES Switch game ties it up). They could add the version of Outrun that's had the Ferrari changed and Outrunners, although TBH, I'd almost rather see those in a dedicated Outrun cabinet. Indy 500 should be fair game (I think). They could even add in stuff like Super Hang-On or more obscure stuff like AB Cop. I would be happy paying big bucks for one of those.

Those are all excellent points.

However, I do think making hardware falls under a completely different license though.
Also Daytona is available on the XBOX network also.

But those were HD Remakes, and done awhile ago, and Sega Racing is more current for Hardware,
which is why I think they would still have to go down that route.
Yes, there would have to be changes for most of the racing games from Sega, but hopefully, they can
figure something out.

later

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 09:07:18 pm »
Sorry -1 you are dead wrong.  I assure you getting the license for the Daytona speedway is far cheaper than getting the license for tmnt or marvel.  I mean it's so cheap that sega recently renewed it to release the Daytona remake in arcades and sega's so poor they are barely in the industry at this point. 

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 02:17:37 pm »
Sorry -1 you are dead wrong.  I assure you getting the license for the Daytona speedway is far cheaper than getting the license for tmnt or marvel.  I mean it's so cheap that sega recently renewed it to release the Daytona remake in arcades and sega's so poor they are barely in the industry at this point.

I do remember the whole Daytona 3/Daytona Championship USA arcade release, so yes, things did change.
https://www.segaarcade.us.com/games/daytona-3-usa-championship.html

later
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 02:20:11 pm by negative1 »

wezfunlab

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2023, 12:13:51 pm
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 09:59:02 pm »
thanks for sharing my Daytona build. Happy to answer any questions about it

After this build I've been working on a racing mod kit. This means that I can provide people who want to build their own custom racing mod the Dash mold (the part that sits over the steering wheel, and the gear stick enclosure and inner parts. The seat parts I have been looking into also but that comes second.

I have however ran into some stumbling blocks getting my original parts replicated, let alone getting the custom seat part replicated. The costs are huge! I got several quotes from part manufacturers in China and just the dash alone is $130 to replicate. I however since been able to figure out a home replication system, but it's not mass scale. I can just replicate with a mold and do one at a time which is a lot cheaper believe it or not.
 This is why you will see with the Arcade 1up star wars machine that it is mostly wooden parts without much injection molding or vacuum forming plastic parts. Also the seat in the starwars 1up is a simple cushion pad, for good reason, this keeps the cost down by a massive amount. The steering wheel of the star wars cab also has no force feedback, imo this is essential for Daytona. The Logitech steering wheel that I use is a huge cost, pedals, wheel and stick you are looking at $300 on ebay, brand new over $400...

I see a lot of people wanting a racing cabinet by Arcade1Up, it's possible but I do wonder about the quality and detail they will be able to put into it. A force feedback steering wheel, pedals, gear stick, the licensing of the games, link up support for multiple systems, is there a seat? .... the cost would have to be in the 700 to 800 hundred range.. and this is too much.  To me this is the real challenge for tastemakers, how to do it for cheap.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 11:14:48 am »
You can buy a basic seat from a place like summit racing for like 50 bucks. You can probably find them cheaper if you really look.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 11:21:35 am »
It also seems to me like you went through a lot of trouble to keep like 3 pieces of particle board that make up the original cab. Why not just build a new cab and then the computer doesn't have to sit on the floor behind the cab? I don't understand why you would bother with the 1up in the first place. This isn't a mod. It is a new cabinet.

wezfunlab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 12:10:33 pm »
That’s exactly what I’m doing next, for my next cab, I’ve made the cnc design to build my own side panels and replica arcade 1up. The cost goes way down as I don’t need to buy a arcade 1up.
 As for the seat, buying a seat defeats the whole purpose of being true to the original, you will see that I’ve replicated the seat from the original but down scaled it 79%. A real size seat doesn’t look good or match the small scale of the 1up cabinet. This comes down to visual taste, for me using a real seat is cheaper yes but just looks tacky and looks cheap. To each and their own, other people can do that if they want.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 01:20:54 pm »
Why in the hell would you intentionally use the a1up design?  You'll spend a lot of money to make your hand built cab look like a cheap piece of particleboard crap. 

People public service announcement:

If your excuse for not building a full sized machine is that you don't have the room then go to jakobud.com, download some good, authentic arcade plans and just use them at 1/2 or 3/4 scale.  There's no excuse for mimicking that uninspired a1up profile once you start scratch building.

wezfunlab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 02:52:30 pm »
wow some feisty people on these boards. I like the Arcade 1Up design, I get your point but I think you have missed the point of this build.

The decision to use the arcade 1up design firstly was to inspire people to mod their arcade 1up to be a racing cabinet. Not everyone has access to a cnc machine or a machine to do elaborate cuts. If someone can buy a dash, shifter and a racing wheel, some vinyl artwork then they can convert their arcade 1up. that is the whole point we are talking about here. Over time I will change the design to be less Arcade 1up and more true to the original cabinet but the 1up design is a good starting point and allows others to copy what I have done with little to no skill. Myself, for my personal cabinets, in future I will do a very custom build, but I want to your general jo shmo to realize their driving cabinet dreams at a small scale and affordable price.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 03:36:42 pm by wezfunlab »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 04:28:23 pm »
The profile is fine. I heavily modified my arcade1up to build my Gorf. It looks great. This is also a great mod.

Feisty people? Here? Nahhhhh! ;)

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 04:29:17 pm »
With 1,000,000 cabinets sold. I think there is a huge audience for arcade 1up mods,
even if it is less than 1% of those.

Sticking with the arcade 1up form factor, opens a lot more opportunity to people.

Especially those that are getting clearance cabinets at $1, $50, $75 and even $100.

I would do it, if I felt so inclined. It's not like he's trying to recreate the original cabinet or shape,
so why not.

---------------
I would argue its better to go with the Arcade 1up cabinet shape and form factor,
since you have access to many 3rd party options for Lighted marquees, vinyl for the sides,
artwork, etc.

later
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 03:09:18 am by negative1 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 06:36:22 pm »
Not for a racing cabinet because you have to actually fit in the dang thing.  a1up is too small. 

wezfunlab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 06:41:28 pm »
did you watch the video? I am 6 foot and it's fine

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 03:10:08 am »
I sure did.  You are scrunched in and barely have room to breathe.  Keep telling yourself you are fine though.   :cheers: