Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Universal Replacement Monitor Chassis for Wells-Gardner 25K7191  (Read 4578 times)

matth2812

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2020, 01:03:45 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hey everyone - I have a Wells-Gardner 25K7191 which I should do a cap kit replacement on, but am looking at the following replacement chassis instead:
https://www.diyretroarcade.com/products/universal-replacement-arcade-monitor-chassis-25-27-29-crt
Does anyone know if this is compatible? Also is it a simple plug and play? Where do my jamma controls plug into this board? Any help at all would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:14:17 pm by matth2812 »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Universal Replacement Monitor Chassis for Wells-Gardner 25K7191
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 04:58:31 am »
The chassis you have will work better and last longer than one of those ---smurfy--- chassis. The no return policy should give you a clue. A zero day warranty on a new item is a giant red flag.

matth2812

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 04:20:55 pm »
Yeah I’m sure but I’ve never attempted a cap kit replacement before so didn’t really feel I had any
other options...

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:23:31 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 05:09:36 pm »
If you have a soldering iron, some solder, and some good solder wick you can do it pretty easily.  I did my first one a few months ago and while the first few caps took a little getting used to, I flew through the rest of them.  Just make sure you remove all of the existing solder with the wick, and make sure you heat the pad AND the leg of the component at the same time when applying solder-- and apply it directly to the pad/leg, not the tip of the iron.  Otherwise you'll end up with cold solder joints.  If after you apply the solder it looks like a volcano (dips in the center by the capacitor leg) its a cold joint.  Heat them both up together and the solder should flow and connect the pad to the leg.

I recommend www.arcadepartsandrepair.com for their "mega-deluxe" cap kits.

There are tons of videos on youtube re: recapping a chassis  It's really not as bad as you might think.  Go for it.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 07:27:47 pm »
You can also ship the chassis to someone who can fix it for you. Go ask at KLOV.com.

MKFan4Life

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 08:18:00 am
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 12:22:38 am »
Like nipsmg said, you can do it yourself man. I was really afraid over 10 years ago when I did my first one (and to a Hantarex Polo chassis, which people said were a nightmare). I was just careful, did the caps one at a time, and made sure the polarity was correct. Your chassis is one of the best models, and they don't really have as many capacitors as a lot I have seen.

Just buy a good cap kit, and the supplies nipsmg listed, and you can definitely do it. When you come to a problem cap, just chime in here for some help. People here can help you determine if you're using the right value cap, have to perform or rework a repair (for a bad trace, etc.), or just any question you have during the process.

The only other thing to know about really, is how to unhook the wiring and discharge the CRT (which you can learn about on YouTube, too). Except for the 2nd anode (suction cup on CRT), you really just unplug wires and make sure to plug them back up in the exact same way.

Nothing better than that first time you do a successful cap kit and see the great results!

:cheers:

matth2812

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 04:11:28 pm »
You guys have convinced me to give it a try! Thanks for the encouragement!
The only other problem I have is that I successfully discharged my monitor and removed the chassis, ands every plug came out except for one which would not budge and the wires came out of the plug itself. So mad at myself. Is this is easy fix? (picture attached)

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:23:31 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 05:44:31 pm »
Oof..  now that sucks.

Easiest way would probably be to try to strip those wires and get a solder tack to those pins, but you really should get a new connector and pins and recrimp them.

princess prin prin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:12:17 pm
  • intrinsically safe
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 03:38:32 am »
Those wires are disconnectable on the neckboard but not on the mainboard. The other group of wires is disconnectable on the mainboard but not on the neckboard. They did this so they cannot be mismatched as they are the same connector type. You could use a disconnectable connector of your choice with a 2.5/2.54mm pitch that will not fit the header next to it or even a non-disconnectable one like JST SCN series.

BTW, that's a K7000A chassis (the one made by Zenith). On some of these the polarity of C20 is silk screened incorrectly.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 03:45:32 am by princess prin prin »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 09:07:18 am »
That seems bad, but probably good it happend, judging from that tease pic that board looks tough and is going to need more than just a cap kit...You are going to need parts, headers, connectors, pins, and a crimper (so far) it is all cheap stuff, although the crimpers can be all over the map, I personally would buy moderate quality and would refrain from cheap on the tooling...And a bath wouldn't hurt that board, water, simple green, nylon brush (Toothbrush) and after you are done soldering everything, an alcohol bath to remove Flux residue...Those universal boards you started this thread with are not as bad as most people think, the biggest issue being cap qualities and the difficulty of adjustments, But They do work as advertised. I buy them by the case for television tubes.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 09:10:53 am by jennifer »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 12:04:16 pm »
I buy them by the case for television tubes.
What could you possibly be doing with that many CRTs?

arfink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:55:57 pm
  • Narf!
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2020, 01:26:13 pm »
Those universal boards you started this thread with are not as bad as most people think, the biggest issue being cap qualities and the difficulty of adjustments, But They do work as advertised. I buy them by the case for television tubes.

Wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts about that use application. I have a few TVs which won't be good candidates for RGB modding but have CR23 tubes and yokes with impedance not too far off the mark from similarly sized arcade monitors, and buying replacement chassis boards gets expensive if you want "real" ones.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2020, 01:40:42 pm »
Well...First Mike, I been collecting Tvs long before it was cool, they are perfect in the sense they don't have any burn, And in the real world you know as I do, lowball offers are a real thing.. Soooo, get cheap with Jenn, and you get what you pay for, A hacked receiver, a universal, or the real deal....Now Arfink, Those boards were actually quite popular on 8 liners, but secretly they have kind of a washed out appearance and have quite limited adjustments in comparison making it difficult to dial it in, although they usually get there, A real board and LCR yoke mods are a far better soulution.(IMO)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 01:46:10 pm by jennifer »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2020, 02:22:51 pm »
You sell dozens of CRT monitors? Where do you sell them. Sorry. I am curious.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2020, 05:24:52 pm »
Jenn would be curious too, at face value that does sound kinda messed up I guess...No, don't sell monitors per se, but do make games out of them out of old cabs, after I template them...Technically I should be keeping the originals I suppose since they have the serials on them, But a well done clone is just as fun to me...As for the Tvs, Jenn has mountains of them never counted them but literally multiple 100s. Not counting original tubes and chassis...Recently I have been doing color vector conversions from them, by rewinding the yokes to match deflection with horizontal winding (not as hard as it sounds) and effectively changing the boards from a raster flyback, to vector HV, and deflection...I know shadow mask Bla,bla, from the non believers around here, but with proper conversion ya it is not a problem...And soonly I hope will be up into the 27"-36" ranges of not only raster games but...Get this...Color vector!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 05:39:37 pm by jennifer »

MKFan4Life

• Offline Offline
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 04:27:46 am »
I've been away too long from the forum.

Jennifer's illeism is interesting.

MKFan4Life will frequent here more often to follow her adventures in monitor experimentation.

MKFan must get some sleep now.

::)

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 11:44:50 am »
I've been away too long from the forum.

Jennifer's illeism is interesting.

MKFan4Life will frequent here more often to follow her adventures in monitor experimentation.

MKFan must get some sleep now.

::)
Not going to happen here, Sorry man,There are some new advancements on the subject over on U/tubes if you are curious, But this is not my thread, and was just passively commenting on universal boards.

matth2812

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2020, 02:24:25 pm »
OK so I went ahead and bought the generic chassis and wanted to check on my connections. I have attached pics.
I assume I am matching correctly with pic1.
Also with pic2 which comes from my JAMMA (V-BLU, V-RED, V-GND etc). I assume I cut and strip the ends of the cables, twist and wrap electrical tape on them to make the connections.
My main questions are what do I do with pic3 which comes from my monitor? I have the cable shown in pic4 but as you can see from pic5, where do these go on the board?
My other question is the black (I assume ground) that I had to cut from the monitor to get the board out (pic6) - where do I attach that with the new board? Don't want to fry anything. The new generic board comes with its own power supply with a plug attached.
Any help at all anyone can offer would be enormously appreciated to this new guy just trying to get his monitor working again :) Thanks in advance,
Matt

MKFan4Life

• Offline Offline
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2020, 08:13:10 pm »
Let's see. 1st pic looks like 2 yoke connectors. I assume one comes directly off your tube's yoke around the neck. The other... is it permanently attached to your chassis, or just a pigtail included with the chassis? Likely the one from new chassis is not needed, as it appears that in another pic, you have 2 yoke connections on the new chassis (side by side). You should be able to just plug the tube's yoke connector on one of the 2 yoke connections on the new chassis without hacking wires. (The 2 connections might allow flipping without removing connector pins if the image ends up flipped/upside down. The Red/Blue SHOULD be for horizontal, and (if you look CLOSELY) you'll notice the Red/Blue are SLIGHTLY wider apart (on both connectors) than the Yellow/Brown (or Yellow/Green). So this keying should keep you ok, but I would definitely look at any documentation to make sure you're aligning the 2 horizontal coil wires with the correct pins on the chassis connectors, and respectively, the 2 vertical wires with the correct pins. If you accidentally flip EITHER horizontal OR vertical wires, it'll just have a flipped image. Just don't connect horizontal wires to vertical chassis connector pins and vice/versa.

Pic 2:
I assume the 2-part connector comes from your game board. Is the other permanently connected to the chassis or an included pigtail to mate with it's video signal connection on the new chassis? You're right, you can cut/strip these to make the new single connector plug right onto the chassis, but it'd be nice not to hack the cabinet wiring if possible. I'm sure you can make, or possibly buy, a converter pigtail. Just note Green mates to the White w/Green stripes it appears. The others look identical.

Pic 3:
This looks like it comes from the degauss coil on your tube (coil around tube covered in thick white insulation). Following your link early in this post, I looked at the new chassis. It clearly says it has NO degauss circuit and you'll have to use a manual degaussing coil/wand. So this connector is not used at all with the new chassis.

Pic 4:
They gave you a new dag wire assembly. I would probably cut the green wire off, solder it to the loose wire you cut (in Pic 6), if that is indeed the ground you cut that is connected to the old dag wire installed on your tube. Then it plugs likely onto the neckboard. The braided wire with the spring is not needed, as one should be on your tube (tough to see on the last blurry pic).

Pic 5:
No clue about the 2 red wires/connectors? Hard to see, but one has a +/- by the connector. Tube size selection maybe? Horizontal shift?

matth2812

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2020, 03:19:36 pm »
Many thanks MKFan4Life, that helps a lot.
You are correct about pic5, so what should I do with those connectors? Do you have recommendations for a manual degaussing coil/wand? What if I don't use one at all?

matth2812

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2020, 04:40:58 pm »
Sorry, I am talking about pic3, not pic5 :)

MKFan4Life

• Offline Offline
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2020, 04:50:58 pm »
Sorry, I am talking about pic3, not pic5 :)

If you mean the degauss (orange wires) connector, I would just use a small zip-tie to clip it to a safe spot away from any connections or places on the chassis where it might accidentally touch some pins.  The coil will be completely dead.

I don't have a recommendation for a manual degauss wand/coil. I don't own one. You may not need one, but if you get weird color anomalies, especially if moving the cabinet around, you'll eventually have to get one. Or you can try weird hacks people use by searching on the net. I once used a giant magnet mount for a CB antenna. Not the best solution, but worked in a pinch when I had some discoloration in one corner of a monitor.

matth2812

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2020, 07:12:25 pm »
OK made all the connections ... powered up ... monitor sounds like its turning on, then a split second later my breaker trips :) so Im guessing Im not grounding correctly? Should I check the green cable from my neck board to the black ground I cut from my monitor? Or could there be other problems?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2020, 04:40:55 pm »
Hard to tell without some pics on how it is wired, But from the description it doesn't really sound  as a dead short...Jenn would be rechecking the yoke resistance as compared to what board you actually have.

MKFan4Life

• Offline Offline
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2020, 06:23:36 pm »
OK made all the connections ... powered up ... monitor sounds like its turning on, then a split second later my breaker trips :) so Im guessing Im not grounding correctly? Should I check the green cable from my neck board to the black ground I cut from my monitor? Or could there be other problems?

Breaker in your electrical panel of your home? Wow. Figured you'd blow a fuse before that.
 :timebomb:

MKFan4Life

• Offline Offline
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2020, 03:15:33 am »
Ever get anywhere further with this?

matth2812

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2020, 12:51:33 pm »
No :( rechecked all my connections and same thing every time - the "buzz" of the monitor starting up, then immediate breaker tripped. Not sure where to go from here - any specific suggestions welcome - I'm completely out of my depth...

Josh128

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2021, 11:32:25 am
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2020, 09:55:00 pm »
Using an iso xfmr?  If you were before, should you be now /vice versa?

MKFan4Life

• Offline Offline
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2020, 12:03:19 am »
I'm on my cell right now typing this, so it's a little difficult to scroll back and read through everything. I think he had an ISO Transformer and is still using it if I'm not mistaken? I do know that it will absolutely hurt nothing to use an ISO even if it is not required, but if the monitor chassis needs one, you will do damage to the board if you try to connect it to AC power without it.