Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to adjust the image with arcade osd?  (Read 3210 times)

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:38:49 pm
How to adjust the image with arcade osd?
« on: April 27, 2020, 10:17:30 am »
So im about to build my cab with the 19inch unbranded tv rgb moded that i have, as it has great colors and image, however, i notice my windows desktop its out of bounds and i have a black bar on the left. I tried using arcade osd to center the image and to be honest  im not familiar with it so i was just poking it around and couldn't figure out a way to use it to center the image. Heres the thing, if i tried to use it on the 640x480 desktop resolution, no matter what settings i change, the screen does not seem to move at all. but if i modify one of the super resolutions, 2540x??? (im not a my arcade pc at the moment so i dont recall a super resolution) the screens does actually whatever changes i do, i can get rid of the black like on the left. What would be the proper way to make my desktop resolution fit my screen? Thanks for any help in advance.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 09:16:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: How to adjust the image with arcade osd?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 07:19:33 pm »
When your adjusting the desktop,you dont use the mode that is currently set to be desktop.when using arcade osd the list of modelines will show the current desktop mode in a different colour.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 09:45:37 pm »
And remember that you cannot adjust a mode that's part of the EDID emulation - you can try but it won't have any effect. This 640x480i mode is the one that's always in the EDID, so you cannot adjust it.

Instead, take a look at your timings from other modes near 480i and redo VMM with a custom range preset - take one of the existing modes like generic15 or whatever you're using now and add your own horizontal timings in the three spots available. This way when you enable EDID emulation those timings are already present.

crt_range0 15625-15750, 49.50-65.00, 2.000, 4.700, 8.000, 0.064, 0.192, 1.024, 0, 0, 192, 288, 448, 576
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 09:50:13 pm by buttersoft »

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 02:17:49 am »
Ima be honest, i didnt fully understand, what i think i got is,
i can only modify the video modes that are not on my current desktop right?

After modifing it, should i set it up as my desktop resolution?

Now ive tested the whole setup for vertical games i  got to say i love how it looks. so im gonna use it for this, i still need to fix the out of bounds image and if i understood mr buttersoft,  its similar, try to adjust the screen to my like, copy those settings to a file? i guess, the loaded it up again , and the setting would be available on arcade osd? im so sorry to be a pain in the but, but im learning, thanks for any help in advance, God bless you guys for this.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 05:59:39 am »
Section i) of the guide - https://www.aussiearcade.com/forum/arcade/m-a-m-e-emulation-projects-and-discussion/89704-a-guide-to-connecting-your-windows-pc-to-an-sd-crt-tv-pvm-or-arcade-monitor

Keep reading that section, and pages it links to, and trying things out. You can actually modify the current desktop mode, i believe. You cannot modify a mode that is in the EDID emulation. EDID is the chip in any newew monitor that reports back display data (Hi, I'm an ACER flatpanel capable of showing the folllowing modes....". VMM has a button to turn on EDID emulation, to fool windows into thinking there is a monitor reporting back that ity can only handle 15kHz (if you're using crt_emudriver for that purpose, like most of us are). If you don't add any extra modes to it, and you're using a 15kHz preset, this emulated EDID contains a single 640x480i mode.

If you want to edit that mode, you can, but you have to grab the horizontal timings from a mode you can adjust with OSD. Those timings in bold above, in order, being front porch, sync pulse width, back porch. Adjust a 320x240p mode to the right size, note down those timings from ArcadeOSD, and the go into the monitor_presets.ini file in your crt_emudriver directory. You will see a whole heap of range lines in the format of the Generic15 one i showed you above. You put your horizontal timings in there, and run VMM to setup your modes again, making sure to turn EDID emulation on and off.

IF the 640x480i desktop still isn't perfect, try values half-way between the old and new, and see what happens. Keep adjusting from there if needed.
Practice makes perfect

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 11:34:50 pm »
Thank you guys, im still fighting to get this thing right, and actually i decided to use the tv for my cocktail cab as the image its great and groovymame appears to get along real good with vertical games, im still a little out from the right side, so ill keep trying to make it look as perfect as it can. Here are some pics of the tv mounted allready.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 03:33:25 pm »
The best way i found to sort the geometry on my vertical set up was partly some advice id read someone giving here :
 i started pacman in verbose mode.Then exit game.I flipped my desktop back to horizontal then opened arcade osd.Get mode from clipboard,and adjust porches to suit.copy front and back porch values into mame.ini.If everything looked good in game when screen was flipped back to vertical,i transfered the new values into VMM so they werent overwritten in my mame.ini if i generated new modes while fiddling.
 Im sure this isnt ideal results wise but,the games im interested in playing mostly look cool ;D and/or good enough for me.
And im happy arcade osd is now unused.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 03:35:33 pm by lomoverde »

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 03:58:49 pm »
The best way i found to sort the geometry on my vertical set up was partly some advice id read someone giving here :
 i started pacman in verbose mode.Then exit game.I flipped my desktop back to horizontal then opened arcade osd.Get mode from clipboard,and adjust porches to suit.copy front and back porch values into mame.ini.If everything looked good in game when screen was flipped back to vertical,i transfered the new values into VMM so they werent overwritten in my mame.ini if i generated new modes while fiddling.
 Im sure this isnt ideal results wise but,the games im interested in playing mostly look cool ;D and/or good enough for me.
And im happy arcade osd is now unused.
Can you elaborate more on this please? like a tutorial maybe? ill really apreciate it, thanks.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 06:58:29 pm »
Like i said the snippet of info was actually Calamity in another thread:

" Instead of the desktop mode to grab the adjustments, use the closest mode to what you're going to be using in-game. Likely it's going to be 2560x240. Center the mode correctly in Arcade OSD and then copy those 2 horizontal values back to mame.ini."

:dizzy: Please someone stop me if im passing on bad info. :tool:
so either pick the modeline from the list in arcadeosd,or run mame in verbose mode.
So in my case H:\GROOVYMAME\mame64.exe pacman -v then exit mame once it has started.
I then flipped my desktop back to landscape,as i cant see any settings in arcadeosd when vertical.
start arcadeosd,and you will now see the option "get mode from clipboard" is available.
Now the modeline you can see is pacmans.choose horizontal geometry.From memory you can now centre the graphic box using the settings.front porch up & back porch down or vice versa will shift the image left and right.Then for example raising both values will make the image narrower.
When you have it how you want it,dont bother saving anything,either write down the front and back porch values,or copy to clipboard,then transfer them into your mame.ini.replacing the front and back porch values vmm generated during setup.
Then i flipped my desktop back to vertical,and was amazed to see pacman now perfect.
Then i entered the values into vmm.This meant if i ran vmm again at a later date,the front and back porch values id just created would be written automatically to mame.ini.
Theres so much more i need to learn about groovy but right now im at a place where at least the games i play look acceptable.

Please anyone correct me on any bad advice im giving out. ;D