Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Started a frankencab.... (I know I know....)  (Read 12192 times)

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Started a frankencab.... (I know I know....)
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2020, 04:02:35 am »
Your fortitude on the wiring is admirable.
Looks like you will use up that whole iPac  :lol

Funny how something so otherwise mundane becomes so satisfying, isn't it?
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

uptown47

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 11:33:01 am
  • Just takin' life one game of Frogger at a time...
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2020, 05:19:56 am »
Your fortitude on the wiring is admirable.
Looks like you will use up that whole iPac  :lol

Funny how something so otherwise mundane becomes so satisfying, isn't it?

Haha, yep! I think there's only 8 pins of the iPac not being used. I used to wire up big electrical panels as a day job many moons ago though so don't mind the wiring so much. it just drives me a bit daft when I can't make it as neat as I'd like.

I was working on it again last night cutting back mains wires to length and remaking the plugs on them to try and make the whole thing a bit neater and more manageable.

I've had an idea of how I can re-jig the internals to make it more spaced out and neat though so might just get everything working first and then strip it all back and start again. Just depends whether I can be bothered or I'm too busy playing Frogger.... :-)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:15:12 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2020, 05:57:20 am »
You could buy a dupont crimper tool.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2020, 06:29:38 am »

uptown47

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2020, 07:00:09 am »

Believe it or not - I did think of this  :lol :lol

However, I needed to strip and crimp the "dupont" wires anyway (even though - technically they're not Dupont connectors they are "Amp DuBox" connectors but they have become known as Dupont through Chinese suppliers using this name) as I need to convert the wires to a larger gauge in order to hold the 4.8mm crimp for the buttons so, rather than stripping and crimping multiple times, it also sped up development to use the 'premade' wires.

But you're right - I could just buy the tool and crimp my own. I've got some cable saddles on order though and I think, by the time I put the saddles in and tidy up / cable-tie the wires, I should be able to dress it off okay.

:)

And then read this guide thoroughly :)

https://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Good-Dupont-Pin-Crimp-EVERY-TIME/

Thanks for the link. They are fiddly little ****ers aren't they... :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 07:01:45 am by uptown47 »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2020, 07:05:07 am »
You have a ton of wired connections. Using those jumpers multiplies the number of connections. That multiplies the number of possible failure points.

I won't beat the point to death, but you really should just do it right the first time. It will prevent headaches later.

uptown47

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2020, 07:10:55 am »
You have a ton of wired connections. Using those jumpers multiplies the number of connections. That multiplies the number of possible failure points.

I won't beat the point to death, but you really should just do it right the first time. It will prevent headaches later.

Yep, I completely agree with you - there is an explanation (read: excuse!). I was originally trying to wire everything on the bench and then fit the loom into the machine. The machine is in the summerhouse and the light isn't brilliant in there so wiring in the house (i.e. on the bench) is easier due to better light. However, because this machine has been planned (read: made up) as it's gone along - it transpired that I couldn't do that as I couldn't retro-fit the bulkhead that the control modules plug in to. So.... I have ended up doing 'some' on the bench and the rest in situ.

If I'd known this at the start then I would have just bought the tool and wired the whole lot in situ as it would have been better. However, at the moment all the connections I've done so far are working and, if it did end up that I started getting failures, it would be easy enough to just re-wire everything bespoke.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2020, 07:27:24 am »
I get it. Backtracking sucks.

Just remember I told you so when 1989 Kathy Ireland invents time travel, knocks on your door, wants to play Zaxxon, and she forgot her clothes. And then your CP doesn't work.

uptown47

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2020, 07:30:05 am »

Just remember I told you so when 1989 Kathy Ireland invents time travel, knocks on your door, wants to play Zaxxon, and she forgot her clothes. And then your CP doesn't work.

When Kathy Ireland (from '89) knocks on my door and asks to play Zaxxon - *then* I'll rewire it.  :lol

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2020, 08:40:30 am »
Holy hell that loom give me nausea!

You are a braver man than me and I work with cables for a living lol

Like Mike I would suggest a different approach to this but I think you are past the point of no return now lol

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2020, 08:46:40 am »

Yep, I completely agree with you - there is an explanation (read: excuse!). I was originally trying to wire everything on the bench and then fit the loom into the machine. The machine is in the summerhouse and the light isn't brilliant in there so wiring in the house (i.e. on the bench) is easier due to better light. However, because this machine has been planned (read: made up) as it's gone along - it transpired that I couldn't do that as I couldn't retro-fit the bulkhead that the control modules plug in to. So.... I have ended up doing 'some' on the bench and the rest in situ.

If I'd known this at the start then I would have just bought the tool and wired the whole lot in situ as it would have been better. However, at the moment all the connections I've done so far are working and, if it did end up that I started getting failures, it would be easy enough to just re-wire everything bespoke.

ok - a crimp tool and a flashlight.. 
At least you know  :)
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 09:06:32 pm
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2020, 08:49:53 am »

When Kathy Ireland (from '89) knocks on my door and asks to play Zaxxon - *then* I'll rewire it.  :lol

If Kathy Ireland from 2020 knocked on my door I'd get that Zaxxon up and running ASAP.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 05:15:46 pm
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2020, 12:05:58 pm »
When I saw the first photo in reply #39 yesterday I couldn't even think of anything that wouldn't hurt feelings.  I'm going to dub it the "frankenharness".

uptown47

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2020, 01:02:25 pm »
When I saw the first photo in reply #39 yesterday I couldn't even think of anything that wouldn't hurt feelings.  I'm going to dub it the "frankenharness".

:lol yep, it does look really messy. I've got it all written down though so I know exactly where everything goes.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2020, 02:41:31 am »

Kelly Le Brock came to mind as I read this...
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

uptown47

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2020, 03:05:00 am »

Kelly Le Brock came to mind as I read this...

Ooofff!!! Of "Weird Science" fame. Back in the day I would have given my right-arm to pacman her q-bert....

uptown47

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2020, 05:20:33 am »
Well, more work done over the weekend. Managed to get my first game of Frogger out of the cabinet on Sunday. It was brilliant to finally play something on it!!!

Still got a ton of work to do tidying the cabling up etc. Also started going through Mavericks Arcades brilliant tutorial videos on LEDBlinky (if you have LEDBlinky but don't really understand it fully then I can highly recommend them).

Also I've got to make the Player 2 button and joystick modules.

The next step is to get the side LEDs to start doing something pertinent and then start setting all the software up. At the moment I've just got MAME working but I'm using BigBox as my front end (brilliant front end by the way!) and so I want to set up other systems - especially Spectrum as that was the computer I grew up with.

80sarcadegames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 09:03:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2020, 08:31:58 am »
A+ build!!!     :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
So clean and well designed!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Can you share the link to the "stretch LCD dynamic marquee" that you purchased for this?

uptown47

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2020, 08:49:11 am »
A+ build!!!     :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
So clean and well designed!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Can you share the link to the "stretch LCD dynamic marquee" that you purchased for this?

Wow!! That's a surprise!! That's the first person who actually likes it on here I think!! Thank you :-)

I bought the stretched LCD from eBay (UK). It was from a guy who was a shopfitter and he'd had skip them as part of a job - he didn't want to throw them away when they were working so he sold them on eBay.

They do come up on eBay from time to time or the other place that they can be sourced is Alibaba I believe.

Thanks for your kind words but, if you really want to see a nice build, head along to some of the other posts in the Project section - The Grid is an amazing one and there are plenty of other good ones out there. :-)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2020, 10:57:58 am »
Wow!! That's a surprise!! That's the first person who actually likes it on here I think!! Thank you :-)

I like your cabinet a lot.  Your modular control panel idea is pretty neat and a good way to maximize the amount of games you can play.  You also did what at least 50% of us can't do and that is build something in a reasonable period of time.

Regarding the dynamic marquee - was this just plug and play with BigBox?  I am using a regular old 16:9 monitor for my dynamic marquee with the top and bottom hidden.  I cannot figure out how to resize the monitor window in BigBox though.  It just puts the art dead center on the second screen when you enable the marquee screen feature in the options.

:cheers:

uptown47

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2020, 11:30:07 am »
No the marquee wasn't just plug n play there was a bit of messing around.

You have obviously sussed out to go into the Options in BigBox and enable the second monitor.

To do the resizing you need to mess around with the Themes/*yourTheme*/Views/GameMarqueeView.xml

I had to add --
Code: [Select]
<!-- GRID DEFINITIONS -->

<Grid Height="768" Width="1366">
        <Grid.ColumnDefinitions>                       
<ColumnDefinition Width="1*" />
    </Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
        <Grid.RowDefinitions>
            <RowDefinition Height="*" />
        </Grid.RowDefinitions>

<!-- GAME MARQUEE -->

<Image Source="{Binding Path=SelectedGame.MarqueeImagePath}" Stretch="fill" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Top" RenderOptions.BitmapScalingMode="HighQuality" />
            <TextBlock x:Name="GameMarquee" Visibility="Visible">
                <TextBlock.Text>
                    <MultiBinding StringFormat="{}pack://siteoforigin:,,,/Arcade - Marquee/_Default.png">
                    <Binding Path="SelectedGame.Platform"/>
                    </MultiBinding>
                </TextBlock.Text>
            </TextBlock>
        <Image x:Name="MainMarquee" Grid.RowSpan="3" Grid.Row="0" Grid.ColumnSpan="8" Grid.Column="0" Source="{Binding Text, ElementName=GameMarquee, FallbackValue='pack://siteoforigin:,,,/Arcade - Marquee/_Default.png'}" Opacity="100" Stretch="fill" Panel.ZIndex="1" RenderOptions.BitmapScalingMode="HighQuality" />
    </Grid>

There's a thread that I got that info from on the Launchbox forums and the settings will be slightly different for each user I'm sure.
https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/44040-how-can-i-properly-display-marquee-images-on-custom-cut-lcd-screen/

Just read through that thread and have a mess around with your GameMarqueeView.xml (and then, when you sussed it, you can change your PlatformMarqueeView.xaml as well).

**** MAKE A BACK UP OF EVERY FILE YOU MESS AROUND WITH!!!!! **** (obviously :) )

If I can help any further just let me know :)

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:44:51 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2020, 11:47:24 am »
I think your cab is fun.  You made a unique design, that incorporates some interesting functionality (gun holders).  Like Javery said half the people here never complete a cab or get anywhere near as far as you did (you beat me  ;)). 

How are you liking the modular controls?  Anything you would change about the design?  Do you find the joystick button distance comfortable?   :cheers:

uptown47

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2020, 11:54:47 am »
I think your cab is fun.  You made a unique design, that incorporates some interesting functionality (gun holders).  Like Javery said half the people here never complete a cab or get anywhere near as far as you did (you beat me  ;)). 

How are you liking the modular controls?  Anything you would change about the design?  Do you find the joystick button distance comfortable?   :cheers:

I was a little worried about the joystick / button distance actually but I don't notice it. I am really liking the modular design. I'm so glad that I stuck to doing it modular now that I have it set up. I've just received some 'flight stick' type joysticks so I'm going to make modules for those (when I've finished player 2 joystick/buttons). This will allow me to re-live my mis-spent youth playing Assault!

As for the cabinet as a whole, I couldn't be happier. I really love it. I'm just writing some software at the moment to help me sort media files etc for my front end in order to make up some really 'neat' platforms (i.e. no duplicated images, everything with the same name, each game with all associated media including the marquee etc).

I've managed to put a jukebox on it too and got the side LEDs working along.

All in all I'm really chuffed with it :) :) :)

(Can't wait for the guns to arrive as well!)

Thanks for your kind words Arroyo. I might have beaten you to the punch with the cabinet build but, when it comes to quality, there's just no comparison. Your cabinet is hands-down the best I've seen. Really looking forward to keeping tabs on the project and seeing the finished article.

:)

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:44:51 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2020, 01:15:45 pm »
I might have beaten you to the punch with the cabinet build but, when it comes to quality, there's just no comparison. Your cabinet is hands-down the best I've seen. Really looking forward to keeping tabs on the project and seeing the finished article.

Appreciate the thought, there are however many very well made builds out there as far as quality goes.  A few that come to mind:

Misson Control

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,13118.0.html

Rotoron

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158083.msg1661521.html#msg1661521

Blip:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html

Black Ops:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,101426.0.html

I got all of my inspiration from looking to folks like these and many others who have done incredible work over the years.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the cab, that's what it's all about.

uptown47

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2020, 01:27:52 pm »
Yep, those are some beautiful looking cabs!! :)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2020, 01:36:27 pm »
No the marquee wasn't just plug n play there was a bit of messing around.

You have obviously sussed out to go into the Options in BigBox and enable the second monitor.

To do the resizing you need to mess around with the Themes/*yourTheme*/Views/GameMarqueeView.xml

I had to add --
Code: [Select]
<!-- GRID DEFINITIONS -->

<Grid Height="768" Width="1366">
        <Grid.ColumnDefinitions>                       
<ColumnDefinition Width="1*" />
    </Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
        <Grid.RowDefinitions>
        </Grid.RowDefinitions>

<!-- GAME MARQUEE -->

<Image Source="{Binding Path=SelectedGame.MarqueeImagePath}" Stretch="fill" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Top" RenderOptions.BitmapScalingMode="HighQuality" />
            <TextBlock x:Name="GameMarquee" Visibility="Visible">
                <TextBlock.Text>
                    <MultiBinding StringFormat="{}pack://siteoforigin:,,,/Arcade - Marquee/_Default.png">
                    <Binding Path="SelectedGame.Platform"/>
                    </MultiBinding>
                </TextBlock.Text>
            </TextBlock>
        <Image x:Name="MainMarquee" Grid.RowSpan="3" Grid.Row="0" Grid.ColumnSpan="8" Grid.Column="0" Source="{Binding Text, ElementName=GameMarquee, FallbackValue='pack://siteoforigin:,,,/Arcade - Marquee/_Default.png'}" Opacity="100" Stretch="fill" Panel.ZIndex="1" RenderOptions.BitmapScalingMode="HighQuality" />
    </Grid>

There's a thread that I got that info from on the Launchbox forums and the settings will be slightly different for each user I'm sure.
https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/44040-how-can-i-properly-display-marquee-images-on-custom-cut-lcd-screen/

Just read through that thread and have a mess around with your GameMarqueeView.xml (and then, when you sussed it, you can change your PlatformMarqueeView.xaml as well).

**** MAKE A BACK UP OF EVERY FILE YOU MESS AROUND WITH!!!!! **** (obviously :) )

If I can help any further just let me know :)

Thanks!  I will read through this and see if I can work it out but I'm not holding my breath.  I know what the xml file is but modifying it is way out of my league...

uptown47

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2020, 02:09:04 pm »
Well if I can be any help mate just give me a shout and I'll do what I can. :)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2020, 04:29:31 pm »

Thanks.  Are the GameMarqueeView.xml and PlatformMarqueeView.xaml universal files?  Meaning, if I change them and get it sorted for one BigBox theme, will it apply to all themes?  Right now I just have something called "AllNightLong" as my theme and it's OK but won't be the final one I use.

EDIT: I can see now that there is a GameMarqueeView.xml file in each Theme folder under "View" and if that file isn't present it will default to the "Default" theme.  I don't want to derail your thread any further.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 05:19:53 pm by javeryh »

uptown47

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2020, 02:44:35 am »

Thanks.  Are the GameMarqueeView.xml and PlatformMarqueeView.xaml universal files?  Meaning, if I change them and get it sorted for one BigBox theme, will it apply to all themes?  Right now I just have something called "AllNightLong" as my theme and it's OK but won't be the final one I use.

EDIT: I can see now that there is a GameMarqueeView.xml file in each Theme folder under "View" and if that file isn't present it will default to the "Default" theme.  I don't want to derail your thread any further.

Yep, as you've already sussed out - the files are in each Theme.

If you are having problems with it you could create a thread over at the Launchbox forum and we could all chip in there to try and help you out. I'm sure with some back-and-forth, hair pulling and swearing we'd get there in the end :)

uptown47

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2021, 07:18:04 am »
Been meaning to post back for ages now just to show some of the extra bits and bobs I've added to the cabinet.

I'm not sure how many people have heard of DOF (Direct Output Framework) - it's some software that interfaces between Future Pinball (and Visual Pinball / Pinball FX3 as well) to link the game on the screen with your LED lights (and/or other physical real-world components). (https://directoutput.github.io/DirectOutput/)

After really enjoying playing some Future Pinball on the new cab I added 7 Siemens contactors to the inside of it and set up the DOF to fire my side LEDs and contactors according to what's happening on the play field.

It's difficult to see from the video but hopefully you get the idea....

It was relatively simple to get set up but provides for a great pinball experience. Especially the contactors which thump away against the cabinet as the ball fires off the bumpers etc

I also set up a jukebox on the cabinet. It's using "retrobox" (http://arcademy.fr/retro-jukebox.html) which is launched from LaunchBox/Big Box which I use as my front end.

Using the brilliant LEDBlinky to colour the buttons and also using the arduino to do fancy things with the programmable LEDs on the side of the cab.

I know it's not everyone's taste as some people find it a bit "tacky" but (personally) I love it. Especially the DOF on the pinball. Well worth exploring.

:-)

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 08:13:15 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2021, 11:56:53 am »
Cabinet looks like a lot of fun.. Hope you are enjoying it..

Zeosstud

uptown47

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2021, 02:58:55 am »
Cabinet looks like a lot of fun.. Hope you are enjoying it..

Zeosstud

Yep, absolutely love it thanks Zeostud.

Really liking the pinball as well (surprisingly). Wasn't sure how well known DOF was around the cab makers on here but it really adds an extra dimension to the play.

:-)