Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New mame build with standard res monitor  (Read 1421 times)

TexasRED

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2020, 12:46:38 pm
New mame build with standard res monitor
« on: April 19, 2020, 12:38:12 pm »
So, my old mame PC died a few weeks ago. Time for a rebuild...pardon if this is the wrong forum for this.

My setup is/was an IPAC-4 PS2 with an AGP ArcadeVGA diving a Polo standard res monitor. Should date the build fairly well  :)

I am hoping to keep the IPAC and was wondering if there were any known issues with motherboards that use the "combo" PS/2 port, modern OS's etc. For me the only PS2 device would be the IPAC.

Now onto the real debate...cpu and video solutions.

I am leaning towards an i3-9100f solution for the cpu. Probably overkill, but they seem to be a good modern bang for the buck even when compared against what I could find for used machines. I like the 65w aspect as well. 

I'm obviously going to ditch the AGP ArcadeVGA (it still works great but I don't want to fix this machine or build a new one around it).  So my debate is the newer ArcadeVGA vs CRT Emu \ ATOM-15.

I have ultimarc video amp but no JPAC etc to help protect the monitor during boot. What is the state of the ATOM-15 route? I've seen some posts that indicate it's fairly hit or miss when trying to use with certain cards. I am willing to spend some time on this but I'm also willing to pay up for a new ArcadeVGA to get things working and stable.  Since I pretty much run standard res games and some MK i'm not *that* concerned about some of the games that won't be 100% native.  But it's hard not to like what Calamity has done so I'm fairly torn here.

The linux route sounds great but I plan on using HyperSpin still so I think that rules linux out.

Any advice would be great!

JohnnyJedi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2020, 07:34:53 pm
  • I want to have 10k games on my arcade machine
Re: New mame build with standard res monitor
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 04:47:52 pm »
well, if you going only for a Mame pc build then I would say any of these, depends on how much you want to spend or your budget...

1. Intel Core i3-8100
2. AMD Ryzen 3 2200G
3. AMD Athlon 240GE
4. AMD Athlon 200GE

The new athlon 200 series are just good and cheap for what you want..

Just help others because its the right thing to do...

My first Full Cabinet Build http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,162377.0.html

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 01:49:09 am »
If AMD is your thing... There is a Ryzen 1600AF variant in the US that goes for $85USD shipped on Amazon. It is not the typical 1600 and measures just below a stock 2600.

If you're looking for a budget processor, it's hard to beat. Only reason I posted is to mention it... Sadly it's not available where I am.

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:26:06 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 10:45:03 pm »
I’m using ATOM-15 with CRT_Emudriver. It’s pretty easy and straightforward   I think you’re probably better off with an R7 /R9 with an analogue out (vga or DVI-I).