Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cannot compile source code for MAME  (Read 913 times)

zebrazach27

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 01:24:10 pm
  • Improving my own Mame cabinet
Cannot compile source code for MAME
« on: April 15, 2020, 01:03:51 am »
I am making an arcade cabinet and will be using MAME for my emulator of choice. I am running a 32 bit desktop with win 7.
After trying to launch MAME, it gave me a message about Direct3D renderer and how I cannot launch MAME. I saw a forum post in groovyMAME section on here where they had the same problem. Their solution was to edit the drawd3d.cpp file in the mame binary source code. However, when I went to compile the code in Mame Compiler 64, it would not let me download the build tools or any other files. I downloaded them manually from the github link, but was greeted with the message, “The System cannot find the file specified” when going to compile the code.

If anyone has any advice on anything here in order to get MAME to launch, that would be greatly appreciated. If there is any new way to get MAME to launch, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

meyer980

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 04:00:11 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
Re: Cannot compile source code for MAME
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 11:06:45 am »
Hmm, I'll be honest, never complied MAME on my own before. Couple thoughts though:
1. If you're running 32 bit windows, you won't be able to use the 64 bit compiler (I think) so watch out for that
2. Instead of editing in the compile, have you tried just adjusting the mame.ini file on your original install? I believe in the "# OSD VIDEO OPTIONS" header, you can adjust the "video" line. Right now it's probably set to auto or d3d. Maybe try switching to opengl? If you don't have a mame.ini file, you can generate one. Or, you can launch a single-use instance of mame through command line using the different settings. More on that here: https://docs.mamedev.org/commandline/commandline-all.html

I believe the different options you can set in the mame.ini file video options are as follows. Good luck!
auto
none
gdi
d3d
opengl
bgfx