Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My Twitch Stream  (Read 20125 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Re: My Twitch Stream
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2020, 03:03:38 am »
If have to revisit SoR2 again to do a comparison. But I can say that I agree with a bunch of the additions and changes they made to modernize the game. Is it as good as 2? I’m not sure yet. But from what I’ve played so far, I’m enjoying myself.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2020, 02:21:17 pm »

Interesting breakdown of SoR4 and a run through of their engine they build it in. Very cool stuff if you're into the development side of things.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2020, 04:02:00 pm »
I'm still unsure about this game, personally.  When that youtube video juxtaposed SOR2 and SOR4 it kind of illustrates my unease with the new one.  The hit boxes are way off and the characters are practically on top of each other before you can hit them.  The enemies, oddly, are able to hit you from much further away and can often suck you into attacks while you're just swinging your fist into their face but not connecting.  It feels like flash animation games I was playing on newgrounds 20 years ago.

All those graphic flourishes are gee whiz but don't really add much to the game.

I didn't really like their Wonderboy 3 remake much, either.  You can instantly toggle between new and old graphics on that and I don't think much of that sprite artwork needed much updating.  In fact, I'd say the dragon bosses look better on the 8bit version.

:dunno

« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 04:05:11 pm by pbj »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2020, 06:32:26 pm »
Different strokes.

I personally haven't really encounted the hit box issues you're mentioning, other than the knife guy having a hit collision on his back. which is just ridiculous.

As for the flash animation games comment, I don't agree at all. This feels way tighter than those cheapy newground games.  The fact that people are learning new tech for creative comboing shows that it's got more depth than what's on the surface.

WB3 didn't do anything for me either. It was just a re-skinning of the original. Nothing more added. At least SoR4 actually improved on the gameplay by adding or changing things up. In 2020 I think this is acceptable for this genre. I don't expect a 2020 beat-em-up to feel like a 90's one. That's just not reasonable from a game design progression, or accessibility standpoint. There has to be some modernizations and i feel this game has done so in tasteful ways.
 :dunno

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2020, 07:04:27 pm »
The graphics still bother me.  They aren't bad, they are just in the wrong style and not very detailed.  It becomes more apparent when the old characters are unlocked and they have more detail than the newer ones.  Mind you the newer ones are better animated, but I'd much rather have the jerkier old school animations with better graphics. 

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:12:39 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2020, 07:23:05 pm »
I don't have much experience with console games, and I never  played the other SOR games.

This game is fun.
I have trouble disengaging from an attack sequence to dodge a new threat. I don't know if that is a bug or a feature.

More importantly, Blaze's panties are red. That is just wrong. She would never wear red underwear with her red dress. Being a classy lady she would wear white cotton panties. I have considered writing a strongly worded letter to the developers.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2020, 11:13:08 pm »
You owe it to yourself to play Streets of Rage 2 if you're into (as the YouTube put it) "brawlers.". It is an excellent game that stood up to what was in arcades at the time.

I'm having a lot of trouble with the boss at the end of the prison stage on SOR4, so I'm maybe just salty. SOR4 should also have a way to dash. It just feels kinda slow.

Anyway, awesome to see something new and polished in this genre. I think I just prefer Streets of Rage Remake on my Xbox to this one.  Better a new brawler than another pixelated metroidvania.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2020, 08:19:54 am »
Maybe this is a good excuse to buy a Genesis.
I have some ---smurfy--- USB game pads. I suppose I could setup an emulator on a PC.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2020, 05:41:05 pm »
https://primagames.com/tips/earn-throwback-achievement-streets-rage-4

I didn't know the arcade machines actually contain throwback boss fights to play!

At first, they look like a piece of set dressing that's also a decent in-joke, as Streets of Rage shipped in Japan under the name Bare Knuckle. Each one of the arcade cabinets is a little more significant than that, however, as they're hiding four secret boss fights.

To access them, you need to hit the arcade machine with a stun gun. No other weapon will do. These are often carried by nearby enemies whenever there's an arcade machine around, although if you use up or ditch the stun gun beforehand, you're just out of luck. You'll want to avoid picking them up at all, as a stun gun in a player's hands breaks after one hit.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2020, 03:05:56 pm »
I’m going to be running through some snes beat-em-ups on stream today. 2pm PST

https://www.twitch.tv/gillaxian

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2020, 03:08:39 pm »
Cool. I will be there.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2020, 09:00:30 am »
You guys should do yourselves a favor and watch Opt2not's twitch stream.

It is fun to watch. His love for the games really comes through, and he cheerfully puts up with my harassment.

If nothing else you can watch me heckle a guy whose ass can play video games better than me.

Give him some support and tune in.

Can you believe I was not prompted or paid for this?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2020, 11:17:54 am »
I’ve enjoyed them.  It’s also introduced me to Twitch.  Some of our fellow hobbyists are clinging onto their 15 minutes of fame for dear life and it was some of the most depressing stuff I’ve ever seen.  Some cool concerts and DJ sets, though.

Opt2not is exceptionally good at some games, and horrible at others.  I like to play along and shake my head at him every so often.

:cheers:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2020, 01:47:53 pm »
Thanks guys  :cheers:
I do admit I’m not great at all games but I can at least be somewhat graciously entertaining at being bad at them.
But this is keeping me sane these days, and I’m excited to do these every week. Plus I get to share some of my original gear with you all and just talk about games to someone. My wife tries to stay interested in my gaming ramble, bless her.
I just need to figure out a smoother way of starting up my streams without reconfiguring things every time. I think once I get a dedicated streaming pc, one that’s not shared with doing work and gaming, I can probably have things more streamlined.

Speaking of being bad at a game, I’m going to replay Life Force around 2pm PST today. Probably play a fighting game of some kind afterwards...I’m in the mood.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2020, 02:33:19 pm »
I keep missing them..... been busy believe it or not.  I'll set an alarm for today and hopefully I can watch for a little while at least. 

I'm not big on twitch as a medium but when somebody comes along that genuinely loves and respects the games, particularly the older genres, it's always worth a watch.  Plus opt's setup is really slick and production value does matter people. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2020, 02:41:32 pm »
Life Force is ridiculously hard if you die and lose your power ups.  I got to the stage 2 boss and turned on infinite lives and was lasting about 5 seconds. There's nowhere to hide from the bullets.

:banghead:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2020, 10:53:23 pm »
Fun stream today guys. Thanks for joining me. Life Force arcade is no joke!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2020, 12:36:57 am »
Tomorrow at 2pm PST I’ll be playing Cyberball and The Simpsons!

I can’t believe I finally found a Cyberball PCB.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2020, 01:59:46 pm »
Got my new pc up and running and had a three month trial of game pass so I threw streets of rage 4 on there.  Overall I like it, but something feels a bit off.  I think it might be the sound design as punches and kicks don't give that satisfying chunky thud like they did on the genesis.  Gameplay engine is pretty solid though. 

Sorry I missed another one... the simpsons is a ton of fun.  I'll start setting alarms again I guess. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2020, 10:58:38 pm »
No worries, Howard.   :cheers:  I'll be on tomorrow.

I'm going to do a few tests tonight, so I'm not yet decided what I'm going to stream. It'll probably be a gameday decision.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2020, 12:53:27 pm »
Do you know what you will be streaming yet?

I just got my internet connection fixed. My ---smurfy--- DSL was hitting 8 Megabits download at the most.

I am back up to a less ---smurfy--- 23 megabits, and almost 1 full megabit upload.

I call Comcast every 3 months and beg them to lay cable down my road. Their nearest service is only like a mile away.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2020, 02:06:31 pm »
Yeah, today I'm going to be playing a bunch of Saturn arcade ports (some of the ones that are expensive as PCB's) on my cabinet.  There's a LOT of great, nearly arcade perfect ports on that system (that were never released in USA). It's ridiculous.  So many shmups, a bunch of fighting games, and beat-em-ups.
To name a few: Battle Garrega, DoDonpachi, Metal Black, X-Multiply, Die Hard Arcade, Raystorm, Salamander (life force) 2...

So many shmups!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 02:10:16 pm by opt2not »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2020, 02:28:02 pm »
You have to play Battle Garrega or I will cry.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2020, 02:34:15 pm »
You have to play Battle Garrega or I will cry.

Definitely.
There's also a bunch of older game ports from the Capcom Collections. I'm going to try to load up  1943:Kai if there's time. 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2020, 02:35:26 pm »
Sweet.

Sailor Jerry approves.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2020, 07:27:43 pm »
No daytime stream this weekend for me. So many projects around the house to settle up! I’ll probably do a late night stream tonight, for all you nighthawks out there. Games TBD.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2020, 07:29:36 pm »
So I didn't realize that Twitch doesn't notify you when your Video On Demand videos expire.  I just happen to notice it when I was looking through my preferences.

I ended up downloading all my streams and uploading them to youtube. Hopefully they'll stay online now.  If anyone wants to check out the past streams, you can find them here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/gillaxian/videos

I'm still on my Dreamcast Racing game kick.  I'm going to be streaming some Championship mode in Daytona USA tomorrow @ 6PM PST!  Then we're going fishing, I'm gonna play some DC Fishing games after racing. :D

https://www.twitch.tv/gillaxian

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2020, 08:52:55 pm »
You need to play Life Force with the steering wheel.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2020, 09:49:48 pm »
You need to play Life Force with the steering wheel.

Let me know when you figure out how to convert DC steering wheel protocols to discreet signals and I’ll be happy to give it a try.  :cheers:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2020, 08:05:13 pm »
Sorry to the east coast and central peeps that tune in, but I’ll probably doing a late night stream tonight. No stream tomorrow due to Father’s Day.

Thinking about starting at 10pm PST tonight.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2020, 09:29:53 pm »
More Daytona?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2020, 10:26:00 pm »
I finally took down the racing wheel and put it back into my garage. It was fun for a while, but I gotta play other games.

Trying to decide what I’ll be streaming tonight, it’ll be a last minute decision.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2020, 07:18:52 pm »
I'm going to play some PSX exclusive shmups (and a few arcade ports) on stream today.  6pm PST!  Looking at games like Einhander, R-type Delta, G Darius, and Gradius Gaiden and Xevious 3D.  Maybe more if there's time.

Come hang out if you're not doing anything!  :cheers:

PS.  Also, I just wanted to make this clear, I don't do this for the money. I don't get paid doing this, and I am definitely not shilling my channel to make a fortune off this stuff. If it comes, it comes -- no biggy if it doesn't.

I'm just interested in chillin' with some drinks and a bunch of fellow gamers, playing and talking about games, and sharing some of my collection, live.  No editing, no pre-recordings, no gimmicks.

I post these updates here for those who don't use Twitter (where I put my stream updates mainly), or for those interested in seeing real hardware. I try not to emulate if I can help it.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2020, 07:51:20 pm »
If nothing else, you can observe my steady decline in coherence during the stream.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2020, 08:24:37 am »
You guys missed another great stream.

There were:

exploding space ships.

robot snakes with lasers on their heads.

flying robot fish with lasers on their heads.

Opt2not swearing at Easter Island heads that kept murdering him.

Panda fornication. Well sort of. Not really.

me and pbj typing not so subtle ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- that nobody else understood. Mostly sexual innuendo of some kind.

some actual good information about consoles and scalers and other nerd ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

a guy who is streaming and not self promoting a hundred ways to try and make a buck.

You guys are missing out. Opt is straight forward and having fun playing games with his friends watching. There is no salesmanship. He is not playing up some lame persona.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2020, 02:42:23 pm »
For what it's worth I enjoy myself and I don't like anything.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2020, 03:43:52 pm »
For what it's worth I enjoy myself and I don't like anything.

Haha, now that's an endorsement!   :applaud:

Thanks guys, yesterday was a fun stream.  It was really lively too, at one point I had a hard time keeping track of the chat.
But it was great that everyone was kept engaged and interested in the stream.

I like these streams where I get to play games I didn't really play before. Yesterday we covered a bunch of PS1 exclusive shmups. Xevious 3D-G, Gradius Gaiden, R-type Delta, Einhander, Harmful Park and G Darius. Spent a bit too much time on Gradius Gaiden though...

I don't know how my schedule is going to be like once the 2nd child is born, but I really want to try to keep streaming for as long as I can. These streams are fun, and has breathed life back into my collection of boards and consoles.

Glad you guys are enjoying the stream. :cheers:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2020, 01:46:51 am »
Guys this was my best stream yet! So much fun!
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/668403556

Alcohol induced, yes. But w/e, that’s how I like to roll. Thanks to all that came out and made me drink. :lol

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2020, 04:56:13 am »
It was an awesome stream.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2020, 02:56:45 pm »
It was such a sense of freedom to get a VCR and to setup recordings and watch when I wanted. With streaming, it was even more freedom since I didn't have to setup the recording. I could consume shows when I found them. With live twitch style streaming, I can't get my head wrapped around being tied to a screen at a specific time. I'm watching it now.

Love Galaga - watched you flub up the stage 11 challenge stage and I could totally relate. That was the one that would gives me fits to this day. Galaga is my favorite game, mainly for sentimental reasons. The strategy you took to get the double ships, used to be what I did, but I switched up to single single ship after losing my fighter. The upside, I can get much higher score, but the game isn't as fun.

The stage 13 where you died waiting to recover your ship.... major bummer. When it happened again on 14? LOL!

No Galaxian for GILAXIAN? I don't blame you, it hasn't aged well.