Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: So i got 2 new old 20 inch crt monitors.  (Read 2844 times)

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:01:09 pm
So i got 2 new old 20 inch crt monitors.
« on: April 14, 2020, 12:27:52 am »
Today i got me 2 new old crt 20 inches monitors, would they pass test? or would i screw them up ?  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Follow me to find out. One is curved another one its flat. I got to admit i dig the look on a flat crt monitor. Both chassis look in pretty shape but i can allready tell they are some kind of weiyah or some type of cheap chassis's, ill clean the up and post pictures tomorrow.
I have my electrohome back as well, so maybe tomorrow ill take it to my rockstar technician so he can fix it. Thats gonna cost me 50 bucks, but i kind of like the electrohome monitor and its base, so i might be worth paying 50 bucks. 50 bucks its a big deal for me, considering i can get this monitors for 10 dlls each, and most of them are in good conditions. O well , ill post pictures and hope everything goes well.

abispac

• Offline Offline
Re: So i got 2 new old 20 inch crt monitors.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 01:44:45 pm »
So the flat monitor is the one with the blue sticker Samsung, i will test it out today later on, that uses the green chassis, that only says model hs-2002, the regular tube its the one with the red sticker hitachi, with the yellow chassis that says model 700. Can anyone with experience help me identified such chassis, so i know which resolutions the support. thanks for any help.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 01:46:03 pm »
2 more monitors on death row.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 01:54:51 pm »
 :laugh2:
:laugh2:
Im starting to dig your sense of humor mikea, on the other hand, do you identify this chassis? i guess it does not matter, they both working at the moment. Ill worry once i ---fudgesicle--- them up. Hope this time they last more than a day....

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 01:56:30 pm »
Would you think it would be posible to use one of this chassis on my 19" electrohome?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 01:56:51 pm »
I think arcadepartsandrepair.com has pictures of various chassis for ID purposes.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 02:05:39 pm »
cheap chinese crap, but i guess if i ---fudgesicle--- them up at lest ill have tubes to spare.
i found the chassis at ali express

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32761524828.html

fuchi_jeg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2023, 11:11:04 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 05:41:04 pm »
I'm not sure he was joking.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 12:24:16 am »
update 1
yellow chassis, was weak, i tested on the regular curved monitor, had good image but i could hear the flyback make some noise everytime i had to adjust the screen, without hesitation, pam....bye bye vertical ic, now i have a vertical collapse , but ive been reading they are easy to repair.So ima get my hands dirty trying to fix it myself, heres a pic before the ic vertical went down.

Green chassis has more power, but, no matter what, i cant center the image, ive played with the knobs for over 2 hours with no luck.
Which leads me to ask:
What can i do to center the image on that green chasis?
Thanks for any advice.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 02:00:38 pm »
Just so you know, i did kill both, on my defense, i got to say , the yellow chassis was weak i did a couple of adjustments on the pots and the vertical went out real fast, the green one , i couldnt center the image so i notice, it had one broken pot and one blew cap, so i replace them now the cap i replaced its shorting out so im not sure what i did wrong. My heat pen or whatever its called in english, failed on me so ima have to wait until tomorrow to buy another one and try to replace the caps again, but one bad thing is i cant seem to find an eschematic.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 08:04:30 pm »
Remember when I told you to focus on one ---smurfing--- thing at a time?
You had some glib response.

Well you haven't successfully completed any of those projects. In fact, all you have done is left a trail of twisted and broken CRTs in your wake.

So again, slow the ---fudgesicle--- down. Try to spend a minute learning about what you are doing. Stop using you soldering iron like it is a damn broadsword.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 09:51:50 pm »
Dude, you live in Europe right?  I mentioned to you before that you can get a regular TV with SCART connection, buy a VGA to SCART cable.  Then read up extensively on GroovyMame to output a signal that won’t screw up monitors.  You will need to research a lot, just trying things isn’t going to work.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 10:32:46 pm »
Dude, you live in Europe right?  I mentioned to you before that you can get a regular TV with SCART connection, buy a VGA to SCART cable.  Then read up extensively on GroovyMame to output a signal that won’t screw up monitors.  You will need to research a lot, just trying things isn’t going to work.
sorry i live at mexico

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 11:13:25 pm »
sorry i live at mexico

Then you are in luck as the creator of Groovy Mame is a native Spanish speaker.  There’s even great documentation in Spanish.  Read here extensively first:

http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewforum.php?id=3

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 11:38:35 pm »
Remember when I told you to focus on one ---smurfing--- thing at a time?
You had some glib response.

Well you haven't successfully completed any of those projects. In fact, all you have done is left a trail of twisted and broken CRTs in your wake.

So again, slow the ---fudgesicle--- down. Try to spend a minute learning about what you are doing. Stop using you soldering iron like it is a damn broadsword.
  :laugh2: Well, i guess you are right, so ima a buy 2 more chassis, and hopefully i dont ---fudgesicle--- them up this time, in the mean time, maybe this saturday i will take the 3 of them, the electrohome and the 2 weiya's to my rockstar technician, not my friend but and actual guys that has experience on this monitors.  Dont blame me mike, im just trying to stay buzy during this quarentine, hopefully when this is over, i will be able to build  a pacman battle royale style cocktail cab. but with a crt, thats an idea i had for a long time now. I love cocktail cabs but they are to short for me, i would like to mod the pacman battle royale for a cocktail style. Hope i dont come up with a frankein stain cab.

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:35:44 pm
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2020, 04:33:00 am »
you have read about chassis impedance and inductance in relation to the yoke?
Understand about how some chassis require isolation transformers?
Understand about heater current and how to match chassis?

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2020, 11:55:14 am »
you have read about chassis impedance and inductance in relation to the yoke?
Understand about how some chassis require isolation transformers?
Understand about heater current and how to match chassis?
Na, sorry, i just follow up guides on the internet as most of guys here, and with the help of good guys here in the forum. Iks ok, im learning, i do have plenty of chassis to learn with if anyone cares to help. its not like they cost alot like in the USA. So messing with them to learn its ok with me, and at the end if i cant fix them , ill ust take it to the pro....

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:35:44 pm
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2020, 06:48:30 pm »
there used to be a bloke on tv in the 80's that used almost kill himself with repairing stuff, you remind me of him

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 07:02:14 pm »
there used to be a bloke on tv in the 80's that used almost kill himself with repairing stuff, you remind me of him
~Naaaa , i disagree with this, let me put it into perspective. I have used crt's in the past, back to mame .60 something, never had a mayor problem hacking ati cards or using arcadevga cards. But then i switch into lcds. I usually fix my own broken speakers, tvs, fridges, and more, with guides i find on the internet. I might not be an engineer but i anderstand most guides i find on the internet, not every single one , but most of them, and even when i get them i always ask just to double make sure.  Im not dumb i know high voltages can kill so i take my time and most times im careful. Now this past weeks, with this particular monitors, i consider ive been not careful enough because i got lots on mi mind to do, plus i really dont care if a thing breaks on them, as is more cheap for me to buy another working chassis that it is to buy some caps and vertical chips. I try to fix them if is easy but if not, ill just buy another one. On the electrohome monitor , i do care for it, because its in very nice shape with no burnt in, and its an original tube that was stored for more than 20 years. So on that one, ill pay my rockstar technician to get it back to life, and use it on my next project. the other monitors are just helping me not getting the cabin fever. So no, im not a stupid 80s guy trying to get me killed with electricity.  :cheers:

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 12:15:49 am »
Saty tuned, i just bought 2 more weiya chassis for the 20 in tubes. Hope ill make them work this time.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 08:47:50 pm »
so i got my 2 old new chssises yesterday, test them out today, they are crap, ---fudgesicle--- weiya chassis, its the same ---smurfing--- thing, one i cant get it to stay in place, its just rolls out, as it the brightness makes it roll, the dark its ok. and the other one i cant center the image, so ima put the aside, and work on them later, im a focus on my rgn tv mod for now, so ill be back.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2020, 01:31:04 am »
i discovered today that my vga cable was a mess, so im not even sure how i got this monitors to almost display an stable image on the screen. I just fixed my cable and tomorrow will test it out.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2020, 08:46:39 pm »
so i fixed my cable, and now i got 2 monitors ready to rock, i still got to play with the colors, but ill do that later.
case closed,leason learned.