Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What's the best way to get Coinco return bezels?  (Read 6154 times)

NewAtThis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2020, 02:44:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
What's the best way to get Coinco return bezels?
« on: April 06, 2020, 07:30:15 pm »
Hi, everyone.

I'm doing a semi-authentic restoration of an upright Tempest. It has a Coinco coin door, missing the return bezels and return flaps. I don't need metal. Plastic is fine. What's the best way to get these parts?

I bought what I thought would work, but it was Wells Gardner and didn't work. It seems like the online stores don't show photos of the backs of the bezels, making visual identification difficult. I don't want to order the wrong thing again.

Does anyone know a good source for these? Used or reproduction is fine.

Thanks.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof

NewAtThis

• Offline Offline
Re: What's the best way to get Coinco return bezels?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 10:34:33 pm »
Thank you, Mike! I just emailed the Boneyard to see if they can help me find the right parts.  Just from appearances, they don't have the exact item on their site, but I'm hoping they'll have something and stock that I did not see, or that they'll have something that's compatible. Thanks again.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 12:47:17 am »
You can also try twistedquarter.com

If that doesn't work you could start a thread over at KLOV.com.

NewAtThis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 09:43:56 am »
Thanks, Mike. Maybe I'll email TwistedQuarter. I think it's good for me to not trust anything I see on a web site. There are too many varieties, so it's better for me to ask before I buy. So I think I'll do that. Thank you!

And KLOV... It's a pay to play forum, apparently, unless you have a friend to recommend you. So it would be a $2 donation in order to start posting, and I just haven't gotten up the nerve to put up the cash yet. :-) Funny how I spend way too much money in some things, and I'm way too cheap in other things. $2 for quality information is a great deal. I should just donate the two bucks and be done with it.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 10:04:54 am »
I didn't realize you had to pay to post there.

I donate every year I just don't remember it being a requirement the first time.

If you are going to be working with real arcade machines it would be 2 dollars well spent.

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 11:33:25 am »
Thanks, Mike. Maybe I'll email TwistedQuarter. I think it's good for me to not trust anything I see on a web site. There are too many varieties, so it's better for me to ask before I buy. So I think I'll do that. Thank you!

And KLOV... It's a pay to play forum, apparently, unless you have a friend to recommend you. So it would be a $2 donation in order to start posting, and I just haven't gotten up the nerve to put up the cash yet. :-) Funny how I spend way too much money in some things, and I'm way too cheap in other things. $2 for quality information is a great deal. I should just donate the two bucks and be done with it.

Create your VAPS and forum user on KLOV and PM me your user id and I'll recommend you. No payment required.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 01:46:57 am »
It would be a good idea if someone could 3D print those much needed parts. They've been No Longer Available for over 20 years now.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:26:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 04:31:46 pm »
It would be a good idea if someone could 3D print those much needed parts. They've been No Longer Available for over 20 years now.
Which of the parts on pages 59-61 of the Tempest manual here are the ones you'd like reproduced?
- Return bezel (99-10061)
- Return cover (99-10066)
- Button housing (99-10054)
- Button cover (99-10057)
- Price plate (99-10070)
- Button (99-10062)

The button cover and button probably require using a resin printer or translucent filament.

The price plate probably requires a printed adhesive insert like these for the text and a resin printer or translucent filament for the body.
- Might be able to cut the body from thin acrylic sheet or similar instead of printing it.
- Depending on the overall thickness, you might be able to just print the text on overhead projector stock and skip the body altogether.

Looks like it would be relatively easy to convert precise measurements from the original parts to 3d-printable models.   ;D
- If anyone can loan me ones that are in decent condition, drop me a PM.

Scott

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 09:59:56 pm »
This manual covers the Coinco 2802 coin door which was installed on Tempest:

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Coin_Mechs_Etc/Coinco/Coinco_2802_Series_Game_Door.pdf

The following parts need to be reproduced as they've been N.L.A. for a long time:

Atari # 99-10061 (Coinco # 904590-2) Coin Return Bezel

Atari # 99-10066 (Coinco # 905484) Coin Return Cover Door

Atari # 99-10054 (Coinco # 904588-2) Button Housing, Entry

Atari # 99-10057 Button Cover, US 25 cent

Atari # 99-10070 Price Plate Label, 25 cent

Atari # 99-10062 Pushbutton, Red

NOTE: 99-10057, 99-10070, and 99-10062 assembled as Coinco # 404734 pushbutton assembly

Atari # 99-10052 (Coinco # 904583) Coin Return Lever (a.k.a. "porkchop" ). This operates the coin return linkages on coin acceptors.

Maybe the above parts could be printed in several different colors?

« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 10:04:13 pm by Ken Layton »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 02:12:23 am »
The following assumes that I can borrow originals of these parts to make accurate models.

These three should be easy to model.

Anyone with entry-level 3d printing skills should be able to slice and print them.

Atari # 99-10057 Button Cover, US 25 cent

Atari # 99-10070 Price Plate Label, 25 cent

Atari # 99-10062 Pushbutton, Red

NOTE: 99-10057, 99-10070, and 99-10062 assembled as Coinco # 404734 pushbutton assembly
Anyone will be able to inkjet or laser print the Price Plate Label on Avery clear adhesive labels.
- It's the easiest part on this whole list.
- I'll include a print-ready PDF and the editable source file so it's easy to make custom inserts like the ones here on KLOV.

The Pushbutton should print OK in the correct orientation with translucent red (or other color) filament.

The Button Cover is the hardest part on this list to choose the right material.
- May need a professionally printed and finished resin print to produce a usable optically-clear part using the original design.   :banghead:
- I'll probably redesign it slightly to make it easier to produce a usable part.
- Worst case, someone else might need to make a mold for these covers and cast them in acrylic.

Atari # 99-10052 (Coinco # 904583) Coin Return Lever (a.k.a. "porkchop" ). This operates the coin return linkages on coin acceptors.
This one looks like a challenge.
- It will probably take testing a large number of iterations to make a usable, reliable model.
- Mechanical forces on this part will require printing it in a specific orientation to increase part strength.
- No promises, but I'm willing to try after finishing the other parts.

Maybe the above parts could be printed in several different colors?
People will be able to print any of these models in any color they want.   :cheers:

For anyone that doesn't have access to a 3d printer, there are print-houses like Shapeways that can print the models for you, or this is the perfect excuse to get your own plastic poopin' robot.   :lol

Scott

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 12:32:35 pm »
The Coin Return Lever (porkchop) is made of Noryl plastic because of the tensioned flexing it has to perform in operating the coin return on the coin mechs. This part is frequently broken or missing. The original version was riveted to the door sub-frame, but the later versions were slotted to be easy to install/remove without any tools. The later version superceeded the original version.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 03:32:13 pm »
Thanks for the additional info.   ;D
- Definitely confirms that the porkchop will be the most difficult part on your list to repro.

Unfortunately, this is all academic until I can take actual measurements off actual parts and plug them into an OpenSCAD Constructive Solid Geometry (CSG) model that applies math functions like union (U), intersection (∩), and difference (-) to basic geometric shapes to make the desired part.

Scott

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2021, 04:19:03 pm »
The following assumes that I can borrow originals of these parts to make accurate models.

Anyone with entry-level 3d printing skills should be able to slice and print them.

Anybody know whether these items were ever modeled?  There's an Atari coin door parts page on Thingverse, but the return bezel and flap are not a match for the parts listed above.

I have a new 3D printer I haven't even taken out of the box yet, so I guess I'm below the "entry level 3d printing skills" threshold at the moment...

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2021, 05:46:35 pm »
Anybody know whether these items were ever modeled?
So far, I haven't heard from anyone willing to loan me original parts so I can make good, accurate models.

Haven't looked lately so no idea if anyone else has modeled them.   :dunno

Scott

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2023, 11:05:58 am »

Anybody know whether these items were ever modeled?  There's an Atari coin door parts page on Thingverse, but the return bezel and flap are not a match for the parts listed above.

I have a new 3D printer I haven't even taken out of the box yet, so I guess I'm below the "entry level 3d printing skills" threshold at the moment...

Well stop yer grinnin' and drop yer linen: found 'em (at least the coin return bay parts). Perfect fit on my Asteroids Deluxe:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4581341

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3994607

Good match for Atari OEM parts 99-10061 and 99-10066 respectively, now reasonably close to unobtanium as loose items.