Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Start PC via arcade button on cabinet?  (Read 978 times)

MagicMan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2020, 12:17:05 pm
Start PC via arcade button on cabinet?
« on: April 05, 2020, 11:24:57 am »
I built my MAME cabinet many years ago & had the previous PC in there rigged to start up via an arcade button I installed on the front of the cabinet. I forget how I wired that up to make it work.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to make this happen again for the current Dell tower PC in there now? :D

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:41:27 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Start PC via arcade button on cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 02:11:00 pm »
I built my MAME cabinet many years ago & had the previous PC in there rigged to start up via an arcade button I installed on the front of the cabinet. I forget how I wired that up to make it work.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to make this happen again for the current Dell tower PC in there now? :D
Just find the two pins for the case start button on the motherboard and wire the Arcade button to that. If the computer is currently cased, trace the wires back from the case switch to the motherboard. Easy. :cheers
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

baritonomarchetto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:51:33 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 02:25:05 pm »
A solution I have adopted in my arcade PC's is the activation of auto power on directly from the bios. As soon as the PC will "see" the current, it will startup. There's no need for additional buttons ;)

Alaska

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 06, 2023, 05:08:15 pm
  • Fight inflation not farmers
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 06:37:03 pm »
I actually soldered two leads to the back of the on button and then routed the wires to an arcade button on top of the cabinet. I have an old Dell Optiplex. The button was behind the USB inputs. There were four potential solder points. It didn't matter which two I used.

Alaska

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 06, 2023, 05:08:15 pm
  • Fight inflation not farmers
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 06:41:16 pm »
I remembered that I posted something about it ~4-5 years ago.

Check out this thread
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,148167.msg1545591.html#msg1545591