Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Force feedback messages format  (Read 1709 times)

baritonomarchetto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:10:16 pm
Force feedback messages format
« on: April 03, 2020, 04:06:03 pm »
Recently I had the opportunity to test Boomslangnz (and other authors) force feedback arcade plugin with my driving force GT and I must say that it impressed me. Very nice piece of code!
Now, I was wondering if the output messages from the software (which is supported by a massive number of FF wheels and is a sort of "standard" I suppose) could be directed to an arduino board to control bigger motors and feedback devices. So the question is: what's the format of messages FF wheels expect? Are they serial messages of some sort?
Thanks in advance!

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
Re: Force feedback messages format
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 01:12:19 am »
Anyone? :)
My primary goal would be to detect offroad and hit messages and translate them to a motor activation. This is why the standard (if any) format of such messages would be of great help.
Does "offroad" message has an ID of some sort? How many bytes is such a message made up of? What is the baud rate of such messages? 9600 eventually?
If this makes sense...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 06:29:29 am by baritonomarchetto »

arfink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:55:57 pm
  • Narf!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 09:36:26 pm »
Recently I had the opportunity to test Boomslangnz (and other authors) force feedback arcade plugin with my driving force GT and I must say that it impressed me. Very nice piece of code!
Now, I was wondering if the output messages from the software (which is supported by a massive number of FF wheels and is a sort of "standard" I suppose) could be directed to an arduino board to control bigger motors and feedback devices. So the question is: what's the format of messages FF wheels expect? Are they serial messages of some sort?
Thanks in advance!

Look up the USB HID protocol definitions for force feedback game devices. It's arcane though. :P

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 02:43:25 am »
It really is. That's why I need a hint from people that have some experience with that :)
In my second post I tryed to be less generic just to increase the probability of an answer :D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 02:45:07 am by baritonomarchetto »

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 07:05:45 am »
I dont really understand sorry

However a clever guy made ffb plugin work on his arcade wheel with arduino. He messaged me recently, he wrote a custom made C# FFB software for arcade drive wheels using a modified vJoy driver and Arduino, meant to drive either directly an arcade motor driver (like Sega model 2/3 hardware), or a third party driver using PWM outputs, still using ffb plugin in between

I dont know much about that stuff myself

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 08:27:31 am »
I looked into it and it's doable, but potentially difficult.  Like Boomslang said there are Arduino examples out there.... some of which let you build/hookup a wheel directly to the Arduino.  I've yet to find the ff structure/protocol expressly spelled out for the hardware end though.