Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Who has tested Nvidia support?  (Read 3327 times)

Ericthegreat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2022, 01:16:34 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Who has tested Nvidia support?
« on: April 03, 2020, 04:18:44 am »
I have a 980ti with a dvi port, how is the Nvidia support does it compare to Radeon support?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: Who has tested Nvidia support?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 04:27:39 am »
It'll probably work with GA Linux. In Windows GM doesn't support custom video timings for Nvidia yet.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Ericthegreat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 05:02:37 am »
Will it work as good as a Radeon on groovyarcade? Trying to decide to use an old radeon 8570 or the 980ti?

tyson171

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2022, 09:34:22 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 08:18:17 am »
I'm also curious about the same thing. If your using a 15hz monitor of any type, ATI cards will freeze the video in GA linux if your using AttractMode.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 12:52:09 pm
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 09:37:19 am »
Don't forget you need an analogue video output on your GFX card ;) May work with a HDMI2VGA adapter, but that's russian roulette, this is totally device dependant.

But yes, this beta iso has support for Nvidia GPU. I wouldn't mind some feedback, I have a single Nvidia card, it worked on the DVI-I connector. But that's not enough to make a general rule that Nvidia cards are ok with GroovyArcade.

That's a community's duty to help their beloved developers and give a hand when testing time comes, and send feedback :)

tyson171

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 11:11:57 am »
I can help out, i think i have an old nvidia 660 that has vga out.  I'll try that.  I need to reflash my hd 4550 and remove atom-15 so i can put that back in the pc i'm going to rob the 660 from.  I'll test it out tonight or maybe at lunch today and go from there to let you know my findings.

Ericthegreat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 08:28:19 pm »
Don't forget you need an analogue video output on your GFX card ;) May work with a HDMI2VGA adapter, but that's russian roulette, this is totally device dependant.

But yes, this beta iso has support for Nvidia GPU. I wouldn't mind some feedback, I have a single Nvidia card, it worked on the DVI-I connector. But that's not enough to make a general rule that Nvidia cards are ok with GroovyArcade.

That's a community's duty to help their beloved developers and give a hand when testing time comes, and send feedback :)
I have a 980ti with a div-i port, I don't mind testing a bit, just got my first cab though so might be a few days.

tyson171

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 09:37:10 pm »

So testing your Beta Iso, let me know where you would like me to start posting some feedback/questions.  I've tried to change the following -

/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg

to something like 640x480i or 720x480i , just because i was getting some weird resolution issues with themes (this could just be themes in general) with attract mode.

For example, "basic" theme in attract mode, the text has - above it, so a lowercase y will have "-" directly above the y.  So i tried changing the syslinux config to see if it was a resolution issue, but then attract mode won't launch, it just crashes.  The system takes the resolution change, but attract mode won't launch.

I would really like the Nevato theme to work, but for whatever reason it is always crazy looking, just super enlarged text.

I'm using a Wells Gardner 25k7191 at 15hz, with an Nvidia 660 and a DVI connector.  In game resolutions seem fine from some quick testing, but i need to load a set against it and do a little more test.

The default resolution where attract mode is working is the following -

default arch
timeout 0
prompt 0
#UI vesamenu.c32
menu title Groovy Arcade Linux
menu background GA.png
label arch
menu label GroovyArcade
linux ../vmlinuz-linux-15khz
append root=/dev/disk/by-label/GA rw quiet rd.udev.log-priority=3 splash mitigations=off audit=0 monitor=k7000 video=DVI-I-1:1280x480iSe
initrd ../initramfs-linux-15khz.img

But this mode has the weird - above the characters i mentioned above.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 05:07:04 am »
Thank you for your feedback! Drop it here, it's easier as Windows GM doesn't support yet Nvidia, and the topic is clear!

So : GT660 + DVI-I works! With a few hickups here and there. Did you notice screen tearing while in game ? I did.

Regarding the - in texts I don't have it on all titles, happens on a few. I don't know if it's a AM problem, or a SFML problem.

Regarding resolutions : are you sayinf that 640x480i and 720x480i worked ? They shouldn't, the driver should reject them because their pixel clock is lower than 25MHz

AM layouts won't all adapt to these weird resolutions I'm afraid, I'm of no help here. But I'm ok to make packages of themes that look good on CRT, even more at these weird resolutions

tyson171

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 03:10:25 pm »
Thank you for your feedback! Drop it here, it's easier as Windows GM doesn't support yet Nvidia, and the topic is clear!

So : GT660 + DVI-I works! With a few hickups here and there. Did you notice screen tearing while in game ? I did.

Regarding the - in texts I don't have it on all titles, happens on a few. I don't know if it's a AM problem, or a SFML problem.

Regarding resolutions : are you sayinf that 640x480i and 720x480i worked ? They shouldn't, the driver should reject them because their pixel clock is lower than 25MHz

AM layouts won't all adapt to these weird resolutions I'm afraid, I'm of no help here. But I'm ok to make packages of themes that look good on CRT, even more at these weird resolutions

So I also have screen tearing on the GT 660 + DVI-I :(.  Black Tiger is notorious for that.  For me personally, screen tearing is a deal breaker.  Are there known Nvidia cards that don't have this screen tearing?

I may mess around with some different resolution on my hd 4550 with one of your builds also for the 640x240 test resolutions.  What build would you recommend for that?

As far as frontends, I would really just be looking something simple with Videos playing/game names, but maybe not as "basic" as basic lol.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 04:01:34 pm »
As I've said, nvidia support is very new, only been tested on 3 cards including yours ;) So I can't tell which cards are better ...

regarding resolutions: 640x240 may not be in the current kernel, but it's in 5.6 for sure( which just hit the testing repo !)

Regarding layouts, I'm open to suggestions

arfink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:55:57 pm
  • Narf!
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2020, 07:06:02 pm »
I'm also curious about the same thing. If your using a 15hz monitor of any type, ATI cards will freeze the video in GA linux if your using AttractMode.

This only happens on interlaced resolutions. Set that puppy down to 240p and you'll be fine. It's a known issue that attract mode in 480i on Linux freezes randomly.

sickness

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2021, 09:33:09 am
  • contrarian mind ;)
    • sickness
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 04:10:10 am »
So I also have screen tearing on the GT 660 + DVI-I :(.  Black Tiger is notorious for that.  For me personally, screen tearing is a deal breaker.  Are there known Nvidia cards that don't have this screen tearing?

I'm sorry to necro but just lost 2 days trying to figure this out so I would like to save others some time: blktiger is 256x224 and for some reason with many cards it goes to 320x224 producing tearing! (I suspect this is because those cards can't go lower than 320 at least not in linux) cards I've tested at 31Khz 120Hz are nvidia 9500gs, nvidia 7300gs, ati4350... then on the same machine I've put an ati x1650pro, and without touching any conf I had blktiger working perfectly without any tearing!
(will continue to test more cards if I find them...)

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 04:50:41 am »

This only happens on interlaced resolutions. Set that puppy down to 240p and you'll be fine. It's a known issue that attract mode in 480i on Linux freezes randomly.

It was also happening to me at 240p resolution.  In the end I fixed it by replacing the videos with those from the HQ Emumovies pack.  Then the crashing completely went away.  I think videos with variable bit rate cause the issues.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2020, 05:58:11 am »
Intel and nvidia GPUs have tearing in Linux. Period. Totally worthless.

Plus they can't run on low dot clocks, you must force to 25MHz minimum.