Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pandemic console playlist?  (Read 16128 times)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Pandemic console playlist?
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2020, 11:21:48 pm »
Yeah, it’s almost worth it just for that game. 

Panzer Dragoon never did much for me.  I did enjoy all that money I made selling my copy of Saga.  Makes me sick to see what it’s worth now.  Oh well.

gamepimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2020, 10:46:53 pm »
I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who wasn’t that impressed with the Panzer Dragoon games. They must have been pretty groundbreaking for the time, but the gameplay just seemed really awkward to me.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2020, 12:02:12 am »
You guys must not like Starfox either.
I love rail shooters, Starfox and Panzer are of the top ones in that realm.

I started dipping into GC games ever since sorting out my RGB modded component cable and GC Loader.
Started replaying Metroid Prime in beautiful 960p (upscaled 480p RGB with an OSSC), and Luigi’s Mansion for my daughter.

Prime looks incredible. I’d argue better than the Wii Trilogy release. And I get to unlock the Fusion suit and Metroid one GBA link bonuses. Really digging re-exploring the world and lore of this game.

Luigi’s still has a lot of charm, albeit if a little clunky in the controls.

I even loaded up Beyond Good and Evil and played the introduction. Man that game is great.

I’ve got a lot of GC titles to revisit now. Everything is in a whole new light now

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2020, 01:07:05 am »
Eh Starfox is more fun.... because Nintendo...  If I'm being honest though StarFox 64 is my jam.  The first two really chug due to the hardware limitations and that along with all digital controls make them hard to go back to.  I don't think I can play the Prime games anymore because I would have to resist the urge to complete them again and they are a huge time sink.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:14:24 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2020, 01:05:37 pm »
Good question: why is Starfox and especially Starfox 64 so much more fun than Panzer Dragoon? I would guess that it boils mainly down to controls. I watched a documentary where Dylan Cuthbert talked about how long they spent getting the balance between the camera movement and the ship movement in the original Starfox. I don't feel like Panzer has reached the same level of quality in that sense.  I also don't appreciate having to swing the camera around manually and potentially miss the action. It's just so obviously gimmicky and doesn't add much to the gameplay. If anything, it reminds me that I'm on a rail. The dragon is going somewhere and I'm just along for the ride like some kind of glorified enemy spotter. The other issue, at least from what I remember, would be Panzer forcing you to repaint the same targets over and over again, which just gets tiresome.

Yeah, Metroid Prime 1 is the pinnacle of the 1st person series, best graphics, best music, best overall ambience. It's really a shame that the last quarter of the game is numbingly tedious.

I just couldn't get into Luigi's Mansion or Beyond Good and Evil. Both are quirky and charming, but lack satisfying gameplay.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2020, 05:28:10 pm »
We could never defeat Bowser on that Luigi game.  I also had it on 3DS but didn’t like it.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:14:24 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2020, 02:56:23 pm »
I still haven't had any friends over for inside gaming since March. Through October, I played through House of the Dead 1, using a Wiimote with dolphinbar and emulator. Then, I played through HotD2 on Wii and about half of HotD3 on PS3. Although I like the first two games more, three was actually the most fun, because the Move Controller is really accurate and I have the Sharp Shooter gun accessory. It's great to be able to reload using the pump and overall it feels much more like an arcade quality gun than the Wii Zapper. Playing HotD3, I kind of lost steam because the game is pretty skimpy with the credits and the different paths through the first half of the game aren't that amazing, although I will eventually play all the way through 3, 4, and Overkill on the PS3. I've played through Overkill once before on the Wii and it was really fun, especially with all the unlockables, but HotD4 is all new to me and fun so far.

My son ordered the new Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity with his chore money, should get it next week. I bought Killer Queen Black for the Switch on a whim. It's pretty good, but I can't see any lasting appeal. I also ordered Ring Fit Adventures, because I haven't done anything aerobically in so long and I hear that it's a good workout.

I'm curious what others have been playing or planning to play as we move past three-quarters of a year of distancing, at least here in Wisconsin.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2020, 09:41:54 pm »
I picked up the Kingdom Hearts collection on PS4 awhile back. Started playing the first game which looks stunning in the HD remake. Unfortunately I just can’t seem to get into it and had to stop. The story and the dialogue are a little odd. I may pick it back up later. Perhaps it’s just a little slow to start. There are like 9 games in the collection. Would kind of be a shame if I didn’t play through some of them...

I ended up starting Faxanadu on the NES. I had that game as a kid, but never beat it. The game is tough as nails which is probably why I didn’t finish it back then. Thank goodness for the Game Genie!