Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pandemic console playlist?  (Read 16031 times)

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
Pandemic console playlist?
« on: March 31, 2020, 01:44:57 pm »
What are you guys playing or planning to play during safer-at-home times?

I recently played through Ori and the blind forest. I also played my first ever online match of Rocket league. It was a private match with friends in Ohio, but none of us play online normally, so it was kind of a big deal for us.

bigster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 pm
Re: Pandemic console playlist?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 03:26:12 pm »
With the mar10 and other sales at the beginning of March, I stockpiled a bunch of switch games knowing that this was a possibility.  Luigi, yoshi, and toad, then it is on to shovel knight series.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 04:14:38 pm »
We managed to snag a Switch while they were in stock for 20 minutes at the local walmart, so it's been a lot of Animal Crossing and Tetris 99. We enjoyed playing Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey on Yuzu, so I grabbed those as well.

I blazed through Doom Eternal on PC over the past two weekends, which was the most fun I've had with an FPS since playing the original Quake back in high school. I played it on the easiest setting to get a feel for it, probably going to play through again on a higher difficulty now. Looks like the console ports are pretty well done. But back on the PC, watching people utterly break the game speedrunning Any% has been great too.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 05:55:36 pm »
I've been playing a lot of PC Engine games just to see if I had actually made a mistake back in 1989 when I bought a Genesis.

The conclusion is no, no, I did not make a mistake.

Also some Spider-Man on PS4.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 11:49:38 pm »
If the Turbografx/PC Engines were cheaper, I'd probably get one. There are a lot of great games, but nothing that beats the best of the Genesis, for sure. And I already don't play my Genesis enough. The lack of a 2nd controller port and the lack of availability of second hand controllers (I've never seen one outside of a rare Convention sighting) really makes that price for that library a difficult pill to swallow.  It's the one place where emulation really is enough. Or so I keep telling myself.

I'd love to play Spider-Man on PS4, but I don't own the console. It just doesn't seem worth it. I usually stay at least a generation behind, although we did pick up a Switch this year. We finally worked our way through the PS2 Spider-Man games this year. Spider-Man 2 lives up to its reputation as one of the best superhero games of all time. My son played through the Amazing Spider-Man on PS3 and thought it was great. I thought it looked good, but the gameplay didn't grab me.

My daughter is hooked on the new Animal Crossing. The kids teamed up and bought it with their own money, day one.

I have Doom 2016 in my Steam library, but haven't installed it yet.

I tried Shovel Knight a few years back and couldn't get into it.

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 06:05:50 pm »
Humble Bundle has a pretty strong offering for the next 6 days for PC players:
https://www.humblebundle.com/conquer-covid19-bundle

A fair bit of it has been in bundles before, but I think it's easily worth the $30

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 11:03:56 pm »
Thanks for that link! It's an amazing deal, especially as the money is going to Covid-19 related relief efforts.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 11:59:35 pm »
Oh man, the PC-Engine is a fantastic system. I don’t need a second controller. Most of the games I want to play on it are arcade style games. I.e., single player, don’t-take-all-the-powerups----uvula---!-Mode. Plus the unit itself is so small and sleek looking. It was hilarious when they released the mini recently and the size difference is no that smaller.

I’m one of the fortunate ones to be in an industry where we can work from home. So I’m still doing my full work-week, minus the commute, showering often...but added a screaming kid and nagging wife to my work day.
So, I’m still in the same boat, gaming wise. Lots of games to play, no actual time...

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 12:54:22 am »
So I spent like 3 hours in my garage, it’s oddly cool in Houston right now.  Filled a trash can full of crap.  Could probably fill another 5 before I lost that hoarder feeling.  Decided my friends were never getting Pi Carts, so maybe it was time to un sacrifice that copy of 10 Yard Fight for NES and actually play it.  You all know this game, it’s at the top of all of our rom lists just in front of 3 Ninjas Kick Back.

And damned if the NES board in my retro Duo didn’t start acting up.  So I open it up, and two wires of the 10 I soldered in there to replace a looose ribbon cable managed to unsolder themselves.  Which puts the console in this weird place where the B button simultaneously sends down, left, B and start to the game.  That’s what I get for leaving it on for over a week recently, I guess.

So, no screaming kid and wife isn’t nagging and I’m still not playing anything.  At least I know how to repair it.

Coronavirus killing the TG 16 mini I guess has me playing the games more.  I couldn’t figure out why the CD games weren’t really any better until reading revealed that all the CD drive did was make more storage available.  (No extra ram, graphics, or cpu).  The Castlevania game is really good, though.  I wouldn’t say it looks “better” than the SNES or Genesis games but the style holds up very well.

EDIT: and the two wires have been resoldered and my Retro Duo is back in business.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 10:21:49 am by pbj »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 01:18:21 am »
We're working from home, as well. But the social distancing aspect of the shelter at home has left us with basically no social life. Myself along with wife and two kids head out for daily exercise, but we never have friends over or go out beyond essential shopping during this time. Generally, I've had more time, basically more excuses, to play video games, despite nearly normal work schedules and keeping the kids busy.

I got the Covid-19 humble bundle linked above and tried out Undertale. It's sort of funny, but I'm not loving it so far. Also, playing it on Steam, I had input lag that got worse and worse, basically rendering it unbearable. I'm downloading the Witness to give it a try.

Oh, and my son and I have started playing a Co-op campaign of Halo: Reach. That game should be rated teen, at most, very mild sci-fi violence, at least through the first five missions or so. And it's really fun.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 11:48:05 pm »
Okay, I admit that Undertale is pretty great.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 02:23:38 am »
Apparently you can actually win every single battle without killing the enemies.  I really need to revisit that game.

Played some PS4 Spider-Man today, then got in the car and drove to Galveston.  All beaches are closed and it was depressing as hell.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 02:47:37 am »
I will try to finish god of war for ps4

not digging the game for some reason :dunno even tho I liked gow1/2/3

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 07:09:07 am »
I've been working at home for several years now which has definitely been a blessing during this outbreak. Our state forced non-essential businesses to close, so my wife's company sent everyone home to work as well. We see each other all day long now as we both work in the same room of the house. This means that we usually try to separate in the evening and do our own thing. We also aren't going out on the weekends like we would normally do, so this has opened up lots of time for gaming. I beat Zelda: Link To The Past on the SNES weekend before last. I finished Golvellius on the Sega Master System this past weekend. I'm trying to play/beat one game on a different console while I have all this free time and I think I'm going to try one of the Blaster Master games next. My options are the original on the NES, Blaster Master 2 on the Genesis, and Blaster Master: Overdrive on the Wii. I'm leaning towards the NES version since it's the original. I don't know if the games have a story that requires playing them in sequence or not. That also might push me towards the NES game...

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 02:00:54 pm »
I beat Zelda: Link To The Past on the SNES weekend before last.

Probably a great time to get into randomizers,
https://alttpr.com/en

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2020, 02:34:48 pm »
Probably a great time to get into randomizers,
https://alttpr.com/en

That looks really interesting. Thanks for the heads up.  :cheers: Unfortunately I have so many other games I want to play that I probably won't come back to LTTP for a very long time. The last time I had played it prior to now was back when it first came out. LOL! I couldn't remember beating it back then and decided I should probably give it a full play through.

bigster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 pm
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2020, 11:18:46 am »
FYI, gamestop has some first party switch titles on sale right now for $40, free shipping.  These dont go on sale much and it is good timing for the pandemic.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2020, 07:52:21 pm »
The pandemic really hasn't given me that much extra free time but I did manage to finally finish Link's Awakening on the Switch today.  That game started out fun but really bogged down for me about 3/4 of the way through. 

There are a few games on the Atari 800 I'd like to revisit.  The desk we had to setup so I can work at home has plenty of room for the Atari on it so that will be the next project.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2020, 04:17:44 pm »
I will try to finish god of war for ps4

not digging the game for some reason :dunno even tho I liked gow1/2/3

I'm so glad to see I am not the only one. Can't put my finger on why I'm not enjoying it more.  So instead of GOW I have decided to get involved with Witcher 3.  Never played the others, but friend of mine swears its the best thing he has played in a long time.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2020, 09:16:01 am »
Hopefully the third time is the charm with Windwaker.  Tried it first with my oldest on Gamecube and we gave up got bored.  Tried again in 2014 with my youngest on the Wii U with the same result. 

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 01:18:14 am »
Yeah, I haven't really enjoyed the combat system of at least the God of War games up to the PS3. I picked up the remasters and God of War 3 really cheaply. They are amazing in graphics and sound, with responsive controls, but the core gameplay of just whaling on waves after wave of generic dudes usually bores me. I feel like the pacing is off. The skill threshold is basically nonexistent. And the games just become tedious button mashing fests. The quick time events really aren't that great, either, and they add to that repetitious feeling, because there is no sense of failure, usually just throwing you back at the beginning of the loop so you have to try again, if you press the wrong button or the right one too slowly. I'm sure I'll go back and finish the games eventually, but I'm really in no rush.

I finished Wind Waker years ago and it remains a favorite, but there are some crazy fetch quests that prevent me from wanting to revisit the game. Every Zelda game has some dreck. I just felt like Wind Waker had a better ratio of it to good stuff than most other Zelda titles. So far, Skyward Sword was the only one that I didn't care to finish after getting to the final dungeon. And Breath of the Wild still feels like a slog with too much inventory management, an uninteresting big baddie, and virtually no new great music tunes. It is an incredible looking game, though, and my kids have been putting tons of hours into side quests and managing their horse collection, etc.

As for me, I've been playing mainly light gun games. I found hacks to convert a bunch of PS1 games that used other guns, which I don't have, to use the Guncon 1, which I do have. Of those, probably the best is Lethal Enforcers 1+2, although the calibration doesn't work, so the aim is slightly to the right of the barrel. I also recently bought a GunCon 3 and the Namco Shooting Collection for PS3 that includes Time Crisis 4, Razing Storm, and Deadstorm Pirates. The Guncon 3 uses a similar system to the Wiimotes. For Razing Storm and the Pirates game, you drag a targeting reticle around the screen and it feels very much like you're playing on the Wii. But Time Crisis 4 performs some magic and manages to ditch the reticle. You can actually use the iron sights to aim, which is kind of crazy. I don't think I've ever been able to do that with a WiiMote. Time Crisis 4 is also very fun, pretty much incorporating every good idea from the entire series. My favorite Time Crisis game is still TC3, though.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 01:23:37 am by KenToad »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 01:03:57 pm »
I realize a lot of folks don't like Breath of the Wild--even my wife kids me it is just running through the grass.  But I really fell in love with the game and it has taken over Ocarina of Time as my favorite Zelda.  Interesting you mention Skyward Sword.  Recently I found a copy of that my oldest must have had and I don't remember ever playing it.  I might give that one a try soon.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2020, 10:54:58 am »
My 8 year old son and I have started the co-op campaign of the first Halo. We're playing it through backwards compatibility on the Xbox 360. I love the 360 console, super fast on and off, quiet, amazing library, especially when you include backwards compatible titles. I've actually never owned an original Xbox, but I have a bunch of Xbox games that we play on the 360.

Anyway, he has been begging me for months to play Halo. We played Reach, but there was no Flood in that game. He's been worried about the Flood because he heard that they were similar to zombies.

I missed the Halo series when it was new. I was retro-gaming all through the post Goldeneye years, experimenting with emulators and building my own arcade controls, so I never owned an Xbox or experienced the joys of the original Halo series back then.

I have to say that the Halo experience so far has been pretty great. And my son handled the appearance of the Flood and subsequent battles just fine. It probably helps that we're playing through it split screen. The co-op mode in general is handled really well. I can hang back and play tactically and he can charge into battle, often dying gloriously before respawning back on my position once the threat has been neutralized or evaded.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:35:19 pm by KenToad »

Gemadef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2020, 08:29:41 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2020, 01:56:22 pm »
this pandemic virus ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- is going on my nerves share some retro NES games for playing.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 10:45:28 am »
Recca
Ninja Gaiden 3 - Japanese version
Vice Project Doom

Hope you feel better soon.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2020, 01:51:27 pm »
Over Horizon

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2020, 12:26:39 am »
I dusted off Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance.  Played through a bunch of these action rpgs back when I worked from home in 2005, and recall this one being the best on consoles.  Holds up really well.  I had to educate myself on these new fangled “redumps.”  XDVDMulleter will help you sort those out. 

GameCube version doesn’t run well on Dolphin despite what they say.  Even cranking up higher resolution filters leaves it looking inferior to Xbox. 

I could see this one being borderline cabinet friendly but you do have to manipulate the camera occasionally. 

:cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2020, 10:33:54 am »
When I'm not working on the house I've been play Mortal Kombat 11.  I waited on this one because I was so disappointed in MKX but now I feel stupid for doing so.  The roster is much better and the story is at least 50% less stupid.  The krypt and time towers are also a welcome addition.  I hope to get in a mindset to where I can go back to psvr soon though... Blood & Truth is still waiting for me at 60% completion. 

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2020, 02:34:09 pm »
Over Horizon
Thanks for the suggestion! I had heard of that one before, but never really tried it. It's great. The ice effects in stage 3 are incredible. This definitely ranks up in my top five 8-bit space shooters, along with Recca, the Gradius series, Space Manbow, and Aleste.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2020, 02:56:52 pm »
Over Horizon
Thanks for the suggestion! I had heard of that one before, but never really tried it. It's great. The ice effects in stage 3 are incredible. This definitely ranks up in my top five 8-bit space shooters, along with Recca, the Gradius series, Space Manbow, and Aleste.

Yeah, it's definitely one of my favourites on the system. That Ice stage is one of the best ice stages I've played, the boss for that level is so awesome too.  I did a playthrough of it a couple streams ago (along with some other NES/FC shooties), got to stage 4 in Over Horizon, if you're interested in checking it out:  https://www.twitch.tv/videos/595950957

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2020, 12:39:49 pm »
Nice work on the stream. I wasn't aware that you could reposition the options until I saw you doing it. Then I looked it up and read about the edit mode. Crazy. This game was way ahead of its time.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2020, 02:26:49 pm »
Decided watching Dildo the Dwarf run through a bunch of caves again was boring, turns out there was a Diablo clone in the Fallout universe called Brotherhood of Steel.  That's been entertaining.

:cheers:

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2020, 04:19:12 pm »
started uncharted 4 because it's free on psn+. was avoiding it because I got motion sickness from all other uncharted games and couldn't play any of those. BUT I am not getting motion sickness from uc4. pretty....pretty good game so far.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 06:18:31 pm by SNAAKE »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2020, 12:02:43 pm »
My son and I just finished up Halo 3. We only got about a third of the way through Halo 2 because the campaign is terrible. I played through it with a buddy a couple of years back, but I had forgotten just how long and slow the levels are in that game. Halo 3 was pretty great, but Halo 1 was still the most fun so far, maybe tied with Reach. I suppose we will play ODST next.

I have been playing Dangerous Seed and Eliminate Down on the Megadrive, as well as Contra Hard Corps and Alien Wars on the SNES. The SA-1 slowdown fixes for that game and Gradius III remain some of the most amazing things I've ever seen in this hobby.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 10:42:55 pm by KenToad »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2020, 04:11:59 pm »
Brotherhood of Steel fizzled out quick, so I switched over to the Justice League game.  Waves of robots, robots, robots.... zzzz......

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2020, 12:41:57 pm »
So my son and I played all the co-op Halo games. He had a birthday without an official party, so it seemed like the right time to get him an Xbox One and the game pass, so he and I have been able to try a bunch of latest-gen games. So far, Sea of Thieves and Arkham Knight seem to be his favorites. I haven't loved any of the newer games enough to play them much. Even Halo 5 is sort of lackluster compared to the other games in the series.

I also have been playing Time Crisis 2 and 3 on my CRT. The sewing machine pedal that I hooked up to an old ps1 controller has been a decent way to get that arcade feel into the console versions.

Meanwhile, I watched some tutorials about how to speedrun the original NES Ninja Gaiden, but so far I've just been failing. It's a really fun game to learn, though.

*Edit* I forgot to mention that I've been messing around with Super Game Boy 2 support on the SD2SNES. It's amazing. Check it out if you haven't already.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 12:09:08 pm by KenToad »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2020, 10:53:18 am »
So, the pandemic lurches on, but life has slowly been returning to "normal." The kids will start virtual school in a couple of weeks. I've actually visited some of my old videogame reseller places (Mega Media Xchange, if you're ever in the Milwaukee area) and I found a complete PS Move setup for around 50 bucks. I'm talking camera, wand, nunchuck, and the sharpshooter, the crazy huge MP5-looking gun shell that the Wii should have had. And it's super fun. I've only tried it so far with the Namco shooting games collection that includes Time Crisis 4 arcade, Razing Storm, and Deadstorm Pirates. Now I can play two players simultaneously with this setup and the Guncon 3, or at least I hope to after the pandemic is over, since my 9 year old son is preoccupied with online games now. I will try the big gun controller with Killzone 3 eventually, since I have the game and I hear it's good with this setup, but I don't have too much hope. The only non on-rails shooter with Wiimote-style controls that I ever enjoyed enough to really get into was Metroid Prime 3. And that worked with irritating pointing controls because it was basically completely reliant on the lock-on system, which kind of makes sense when you're shooting alien bugs, but probably doesn't make sense with grimdark military sci-fi against humans. I've heard that Killzone 3 basically lets you lock your movement behind cover, making it a game of moving from gallery to gallery. We'll see.

How's your pandemic going?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 11:02:38 am by KenToad »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2020, 02:38:41 pm »
I took a new job and have ceased working from home.

Made some more lurching progress on Spider-Man last night for the first time in weeks. That's truly a fantastic game.

Play some Gameboy Warioland here and there.

Fire up my Saturn for a few minutes a couple times a week. I'm back to walking all over the medical center so no need to pedal away on a bike anymore.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2020, 03:36:32 pm »
I took a new job and have ceased working from home.

Made some more lurching progress on Spider-Man last night for the first time in weeks. That's truly a fantastic game.

Play some Gameboy Warioland here and there.

Fire up my Saturn for a few minutes a couple times a week. I'm back to walking all over the medical center so no need to pedal away on a bike anymore.

Man, I wish Spider-Man would go multiplatform. I have sworn off buying new consoles, but that's one of the few modern games that I would really like to play.

Speaking of Saturn, I've tried several times to get into the Panzer Dragoon series and I just cannot. The music and graphics are great, but the rail shooter paint-a-target gameplay is just ... repetitive and boring. The Saturn is probably the only major console that I've never wanted to own.

What's your new job? Stay safe.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2020, 10:38:30 pm »
I bought a ps4 just to play spiderman.  Worth it. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2020, 11:21:48 pm »
Yeah, it’s almost worth it just for that game. 

Panzer Dragoon never did much for me.  I did enjoy all that money I made selling my copy of Saga.  Makes me sick to see what it’s worth now.  Oh well.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2020, 10:46:53 pm »
I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who wasn’t that impressed with the Panzer Dragoon games. They must have been pretty groundbreaking for the time, but the gameplay just seemed really awkward to me.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2020, 12:02:12 am »
You guys must not like Starfox either.
I love rail shooters, Starfox and Panzer are of the top ones in that realm.

I started dipping into GC games ever since sorting out my RGB modded component cable and GC Loader.
Started replaying Metroid Prime in beautiful 960p (upscaled 480p RGB with an OSSC), and Luigi’s Mansion for my daughter.

Prime looks incredible. I’d argue better than the Wii Trilogy release. And I get to unlock the Fusion suit and Metroid one GBA link bonuses. Really digging re-exploring the world and lore of this game.

Luigi’s still has a lot of charm, albeit if a little clunky in the controls.

I even loaded up Beyond Good and Evil and played the introduction. Man that game is great.

I’ve got a lot of GC titles to revisit now. Everything is in a whole new light now

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2020, 01:07:05 am »
Eh Starfox is more fun.... because Nintendo...  If I'm being honest though StarFox 64 is my jam.  The first two really chug due to the hardware limitations and that along with all digital controls make them hard to go back to.  I don't think I can play the Prime games anymore because I would have to resist the urge to complete them again and they are a huge time sink.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2020, 01:05:37 pm »
Good question: why is Starfox and especially Starfox 64 so much more fun than Panzer Dragoon? I would guess that it boils mainly down to controls. I watched a documentary where Dylan Cuthbert talked about how long they spent getting the balance between the camera movement and the ship movement in the original Starfox. I don't feel like Panzer has reached the same level of quality in that sense.  I also don't appreciate having to swing the camera around manually and potentially miss the action. It's just so obviously gimmicky and doesn't add much to the gameplay. If anything, it reminds me that I'm on a rail. The dragon is going somewhere and I'm just along for the ride like some kind of glorified enemy spotter. The other issue, at least from what I remember, would be Panzer forcing you to repaint the same targets over and over again, which just gets tiresome.

Yeah, Metroid Prime 1 is the pinnacle of the 1st person series, best graphics, best music, best overall ambience. It's really a shame that the last quarter of the game is numbingly tedious.

I just couldn't get into Luigi's Mansion or Beyond Good and Evil. Both are quirky and charming, but lack satisfying gameplay.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2020, 05:28:10 pm »
We could never defeat Bowser on that Luigi game.  I also had it on 3DS but didn’t like it.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2020, 02:56:23 pm »
I still haven't had any friends over for inside gaming since March. Through October, I played through House of the Dead 1, using a Wiimote with dolphinbar and emulator. Then, I played through HotD2 on Wii and about half of HotD3 on PS3. Although I like the first two games more, three was actually the most fun, because the Move Controller is really accurate and I have the Sharp Shooter gun accessory. It's great to be able to reload using the pump and overall it feels much more like an arcade quality gun than the Wii Zapper. Playing HotD3, I kind of lost steam because the game is pretty skimpy with the credits and the different paths through the first half of the game aren't that amazing, although I will eventually play all the way through 3, 4, and Overkill on the PS3. I've played through Overkill once before on the Wii and it was really fun, especially with all the unlockables, but HotD4 is all new to me and fun so far.

My son ordered the new Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity with his chore money, should get it next week. I bought Killer Queen Black for the Switch on a whim. It's pretty good, but I can't see any lasting appeal. I also ordered Ring Fit Adventures, because I haven't done anything aerobically in so long and I hear that it's a good workout.

I'm curious what others have been playing or planning to play as we move past three-quarters of a year of distancing, at least here in Wisconsin.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2020, 09:41:54 pm »
I picked up the Kingdom Hearts collection on PS4 awhile back. Started playing the first game which looks stunning in the HD remake. Unfortunately I just can’t seem to get into it and had to stop. The story and the dialogue are a little odd. I may pick it back up later. Perhaps it’s just a little slow to start. There are like 9 games in the collection. Would kind of be a shame if I didn’t play through some of them...

I ended up starting Faxanadu on the NES. I had that game as a kid, but never beat it. The game is tough as nails which is probably why I didn’t finish it back then. Thank goodness for the Game Genie!