Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Playing around with the pi can be surprisingly refreshing . Is it just me?I boug  (Read 6427 times)

edugatei56

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2020, 02:57:51 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I bought a pi4 a few months ago and put retropie on it when I got it. But I’ve been playing new games, doing school and working. So today i booted up my pi and setup Redream so I could play Sonic Adventure 2. It took maybe a little too much time to setup cause I ran into a few problems but quickly solved them them. I know it’s easy to setup something like that but it felt refreshing to do it. I haven’t touched my pi in a while so setting up something new felt cool. Plus I got to play my favorite sonic game besides sonic R (yes I like sonic r). Is it just me or is playing around with the pi a little bit refreshing? I probably feel like that cause I’m still new to using it 😂

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
I think setting up Windows is far easier, but as I tell some folks, at the end of the day I think I have far more fun building and setting up cabinets than actually playing the games. For me,.on the console side, I still have a working atari, new, gc, ps1, genesis, Gameboy, etc but I have fun setting up all that stuff on a pi anyway.

When folks ask about what PC they should use I usually say windows and some fast hardware, but I have probably 7 pis of various flavors and I have fun messing around with them.

Anyway... I get it. I've been messing with the pi since probably 2015 or so... and arcade emulation stuff in general since maybe 1999 or 98. Its been awhile. I've never been a fan of Windows, so for me the Pi is a nice alternative.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 09:03:56 pm by mahuti »
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
I haven't heard of redream before, what kind of performance are you getting with it?

daywane

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 07:18:07 am
  • GRRRR!
I have 2 pi arcades. 1st one is a Ms Pacman . 2nd one is set up all capcom. both pi 3b. want to try pi zero w for a plug n play arcade cp.

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:52:39 pm
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
I just don't get much fun out of doing Pi arcades. I get all kinds of fun out of Pi's in general and I own almost half a dozen of them and use them for all kinds of stuff, but for arcade's..meh.. Doing a full blown PC is way more fun and way more end worthy even if you personally don't play. Hell lately I've been having fun toying around with Windows XP for old time's sake and if there is anything satisfying, it's knowing some junk socket 478 Pentium 4 with windows XP performs so much sweeter and smoother then a Pi with some dumb image some dude is passing around on the internet that people are "customizing" allegedly to make their own. I guess for me, the whole idea of a Pi arcade is still novelty at best. I'd just rather have a better performing machine at the end of the day, and as much as I like Pi's, I just can't assimilate at this time. Maybe Pi5 will have better luck??? Guess we'll see.

bbegin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 07:23:14 pm
  • Arcade games enthusiast, bartop arcade project WIP
I just don't get much fun out of doing Pi arcades. I get all kinds of fun out of Pi's in general and I own almost half a dozen of them and use them for all kinds of stuff, but for arcade's..meh.. Doing a full blown PC is way more fun and way more end worthy even if you personally don't play. Hell lately I've been having fun toying around with Windows XP for old time's sake and if there is anything satisfying, it's knowing some junk socket 478 Pentium 4 with windows XP performs so much sweeter and smoother then a Pi with some dumb image some dude is passing around on the internet that people are "customizing" allegedly to make their own. I guess for me, the whole idea of a Pi arcade is still novelty at best. I'd just rather have a better performing machine at the end of the day, and as much as I like Pi's, I just can't assimilate at this time. Maybe Pi5 will have better luck??? Guess we'll see.

I would recommend you to take a look at my Pi image for the Pi 4B. I get really good emulation performance for arcade games with MAME on a properly tuned Raspberry Pi 4.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,162889.0.html

« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 03:59:12 pm by bbegin »
Personal project:
How to make a dedicated MAME Appliance on a Raspberry Pi 4/Pi 400
https://gist.github.com/sonicprod/f5a7bb10fb9ed1cc5124766831e120c4

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:52:39 pm
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
I would recommend you to take à look at my Pi image for the Pi 4B. I get really good emulation performance for arcade games with MAME on a Properly tuned Raspberry Pi 4.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,162889.0.html
Nope, still won't outperform a PC. As long as there is room in a bartop cabinet for a full blown ATX board, video card, and PSU, there will never be a place for Pi. Still novelty at best.

Right now I am working on a self contained Pi setup with a Pi4. I call it Arcade PacUp. Been working with Pi for a mighty long time and don't need the help. Would rather develop my own image. Again, I'm not anti-Pi they just aren't my first choice by a long shot.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164313.0.html

« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 03:22:37 pm by Phreakwars »