Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Finding a usable LCD monitor for my arcade cabinet  (Read 1387 times)

trenish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2023, 11:21:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Finding a usable LCD monitor for my arcade cabinet
« on: March 27, 2020, 02:05:09 pm »
Hey guys,

I have an old Simpsons cabinet that I dropped a Wells Gardner 28" corner to corner, ~26.5" usable display monitor  into several years ago.  The monitor is fine, but I'm finding that the relatively low refresh rate triggers migraines.  I'm thinking about replacing it with an LCD monitor and have already given up on the idea of finding something nearly square without dropping $1400 meaning I get a 16:9 monitor instead.  My desire is to get something that fits within the cabinet edge-to-edge, with my available width being exactly 27".  Anybody know of an LCD that has roughly that width so I can maximize screen size?  Also, do the monitors have flanges, allowing for the removal of the plastics?  How do you guys mount your stuff?

Also, I'll put the WG up for local sale in the Bay Area (Fremont, CA) when I get around to doing this.

Thanks,

Tom

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Finding a usable LCD monitor for my arcade cabinet
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 01:35:09 am »
I cut a piece of 1/4" hardboard or MDF to fit the original monitor brackets (removed from the monitor tube of course) then drill some VESA holes somewhere near the middle so the monitor is centered. usually I don't even have to adjust the spacing to the glass at all. I don't bother trying to decase them, as typically the mounting on the panel is either less than useless... or not existent (just snapped into the case floating around) and then you have to find a way to hold the guts onto the panel. not worth the hassle.

each cabinet is a little different, but I typically find a monitor that:

1: fits in the space as big as possible. usually a 27" widescreen fits not too bad in a full size upright. being about 24.5 inches in width. a 31 is too wide. (28.5 inches in width.) oddball sizes in between are sometimes available but you don't want no weird ultrawide or curved or something.

2: powers on again when the power is cut then applied. (easy enough to test in a store where they have demos set up)

usually Benq and LG monitors are pretty decent, fit the above criteria and and pretty inexpensive. I'd go with IPS if at all possible. can't beat the viewing angles on them. i've used the Benq GW2780 in the past without issues. been pretty decent even with long term use.

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 11:51:57 am »
I do pretty much the same a lilshawn but I remove the entire monitor and re-purpose it for another game or for another local collector.

You mount the TV or monitor as he described to a piece of hardboard or plywood cut the inside width of the game.  Mount from the back of the plywood using the VESA mounts.  Then attach blocking on the inside of the cabinet and screw the plywood to it.   Cut a large piece of black poster board to fit as a monitor shroud to cover up the frame.  Sometimes I'll tape off the screen and spray paint the frame black to help hide everything as well.

If you can't find a TV that powers on when powered up you can hack the power button to an FRM01 timer relay that simulates a button press and/or look for the TV's hidden service menu - most of them have one - and there's usually a power on setting there.

Good luck!

trenish

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 03:43:48 pm »
Got it, thanks guys!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 03:54:20 pm by trenish »

trenish

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 02:12:42 pm »
Maybe this helps somebody...

HI've been questing for a 26-27"" LCD for my Simpson cabinet and came across two options, albeit very expensive.  Maybe you'll find these useful or interesting

1) EV2730QFX - runs about $1429 on Amazon at the time of this posting.  This product's actual purpose seems to be for the medical field

2) JamiePro.com has monitors that are meant to be tiled together to form supersized screens like you might see at sports bars.
  - https://www.jamiepro.com/shop/category/special-shape-display-lcd-square-lcd-displays-74
  - I received a quote on 1 unit being shipped to CA at 1105EU, or $1212
  - this is a completely frameless monitor which is pretty neat