Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Recommendations for vertical setup  (Read 2459 times)

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:01:09 pm
Recommendations for vertical setup
« on: March 26, 2020, 10:04:00 pm »
So ima build a dedicated cocktail style cab and would like to know wich is the best option , i would really like to use windows with hyperspin but im open to options, ill be using just regular 80s cocktails classics that support cocktail auto rotate function so no shmups of stuff like that, more like pacman dkong galaga etc, thanks for any advice.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
Re: Recommendations for vertical setup
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 06:42:33 am »
60-in-one PCB from China
Check out my completed projects!

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 09:20:46 am »
60-in-one PCB from China
Yeah i dont think this qualify as groovymame.  :dunno

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 01:51:01 pm »
Honestly, I have a couple in my shed for future projects and have previously used one in an "arcade classic" vertical cab sited in the amenities room at my former work.

I love Groovymame, especially for my shmups, but most of that refresh rate goodness and "new car smell" is wasted on "classics" from the late 70's & early 80's. I mean OK Galaga does feel a little different, but nobody will really know. With my machine the security guard liked to play Galaga on it during long lonely nights and he was still able to clock the score counter with no complaints other than the starfield is different to the original (he was right: mame still haven't properly emulated the starfield for Galaga properly, and those multigame PCBs just run an ancient version of mame, maybe advancemame).

It is primitive, I know, but using a multigame PCB I don't have to worry about the computer crashing, video card failing, some unknown error in the latest CRTemudriver to emerge, a Windows weirdness or whatever blahblahblah. Just plug it in and away it goes.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 02:45:36 pm »
i get computers and monitor for next to nothing, and im not peeky about resolution as long as the game fills the screen the way it should fill it.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 04:33:57 pm »
Yer in that case then just go the 60-in-one because it is cheap and even easier to setup than a PC. Cheaper to run too, if you are interested in that, you'll save money in the short and long run. All you need is a Peter Chou type DC power supply (cheap and everywhere) and you are ready to go.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 07:35:15 pm »
sorry, i want to use what i have, and i will use it, i just thouhgt maybe ill get some advice on how to do it right, but if nothing comes up i guess ill have to learn my own way, i never like thos 60 in 1 or whatever in 1, but thanks anyway.

psakhis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 12:18:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 07:11:00 am »
I prefer emulastation with crt theme even in windows, i tested launchbox, hyperspin, bigblue and many others...

I'm using snes mini theme at 450x270, it's really good with all windows components hidden (boot, logos, statusbar, etc.)

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 03:23:30 pm »
I prefer emulastation with crt theme even in windows, i tested launchbox, hyperspin, bigblue and many others...

I'm using snes mini theme at 450x270, it's really good with all windows components hidden (boot, logos, statusbar, etc.)
hyperspin on windows its easy to set up, add groovymame and the experience it nice, i just have never tried it with vertical setup

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 12:43:42 pm
    • KADE
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 09:44:28 pm »
I have a old CRT and a PC and I'm thinking about giving linux a shot, GroovyArcade.  I'm sick of hacking windows.

I like the progress I'm seeing here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html

The CoinOPs PC project is built on RetroFE (for windows).
http://retrofe.nl/SMF/index.php?topic=305.0
I'm thinking about getting linux setup and moving the the assets from the 4x3 version of the Vertical arcade only build.
This is the 16:9 vertical only version:

It might be easier to just use windows :dunno

Let us know what you decide to do and if you are happy with the results.

I'm g

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 10:44:08 pm »
i have hyperspin vertical setup im happy with , but that coinops looks nice too, i relly dont dig linux besides recalbos, but cant seem to find a way to implement the 15khs drivers, so ill try with groovymame and windows and post result