Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Issues assigning pedals in MAME  (Read 2326 times)

CXK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2023, 10:37:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Issues assigning pedals in MAME
« on: March 21, 2020, 06:53:50 pm »
I'm completely new to using a wheel with MAME. I have a Thrustmaster 458 Italia wheel that has force feedback, originally bought for Xbox One. I am able to assign left and right on the wheel but I can't seem to get the pedals to work. I've attached a screenshot, I tried assigning the pedal to all of those, the Pedal 1 analog wouldn't work pick up the pedal being pressed. While it is assigned to something in the photo, it's not the pedal. The gas pedal shows up as Button 8. Am I missing something here? Does this wheel's pedals just not work.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Issues assigning pedals in MAME
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 03:20:38 am »
All the pedals I have seen are potentiometer controls (analog, like the wheel) and probably wouldn't functional at all (or certainly not correctly) if they were set up as/recognized by Windows as a keyboard stroke.
I couldn't guess what kind of output those pedals generate though (and I looked for info on them- just found details on the wheel.)

Hopefully Scott (who among others here has his black belt in controls) or someone who has your setup also will see this to offer some advice.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:36:40 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 05:56:05 am »
CXK: Looks like maybe you haven't read the Emulator/Driving Cab info thread - Beginners start here! thread yet.  BadMouth will get you on the right track.   ;D

I am able to assign left and right on the wheel but I can't seem to get the pedals to work.
Any axis using an analog (potentiometer) or optical (mouse/spinner/trackball) control should have the "Dec" and "Iinc" set to none.
Those are reserved for key presses being substituted for analogue input.
- Highlight the "Inc" or "Dec" setting.
- Press ENTER. (map the setting)
- Press ESC. (set it to none)

I tried assigning the pedal to all of those, the Pedal 1 analog wouldn't work pick up the pedal being pressed. While it is assigned to something in the photo, it's not the pedal. The gas pedal shows up as Button 8.
Not sure if your pedals are "combined" or "separate", but the gas pedal should not be showing up as a button.   :dizzy:

Go to Windows Control Panel -- Devices and printers.
- Right-click on the controller icon -- Game controller settings.
- Click on Properties.

That should bring up a window like this.

The gas and brake pedals should control one (combined) or two of the sliders. (separate)

Scott
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 06:01:10 am by PL1 »

CXK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2023, 10:37:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 06:55:26 pm »
CXK: Looks like maybe you haven't read the Emulator/Driving Cab info thread - Beginners start here! thread yet.  BadMouth will get you on the right track.   ;D

I am able to assign left and right on the wheel but I can't seem to get the pedals to work.
Any axis using an analog (potentiometer) or optical (mouse/spinner/trackball) control should have the "Dec" and "Iinc" set to none.
Those are reserved for key presses being substituted for analogue input.
- Highlight the "Inc" or "Dec" setting.
- Press ENTER. (map the setting)
- Press ESC. (set it to none)

I tried assigning the pedal to all of those, the Pedal 1 analog wouldn't work pick up the pedal being pressed. While it is assigned to something in the photo, it's not the pedal. The gas pedal shows up as Button 8.
Not sure if your pedals are "combined" or "separate", but the gas pedal should not be showing up as a button.   :dizzy:

Go to Windows Control Panel -- Devices and printers.
- Right-click on the controller icon -- Game controller settings.
- Click on Properties.

That should bring up a window like this.

The gas and brake pedals should control one (combined) or two of the sliders. (separate)

Scott

Thanks for all the info. I did bring up that window you were talking about. When I press the pedal, button 8 lights up and I don't recall seeing a slider. The PC I was testing it with is in an arcade currently so I'll have to pull it apart to try again. If I have to buy a Logitech wheel for it to work, I may just do that.