Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Good tube/chassis monitor for MAME?  (Read 1273 times)

Iflippedthecanoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2020, 10:47:23 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Good tube/chassis monitor for MAME?
« on: March 21, 2020, 10:04:01 am »
Im looking for a good all around horizontal arcade monitor for a multicade MAME build. I really don't know the differences between monitors at all. Im looking for a good resolution to play 8bit to games up to 3D arcade games and decent scanlines and quality obviously would be nice!!! :notworthy:

arfink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:55:57 pm
  • Narf!
Re: Good tube/chassis monitor for MAME?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 10:25:26 am »
So, first things first: what games are you going to play? Actual examples would be good, because you make it sound like you plan to play console games and that can make a really big difference if you want to play 5th gen or newer. You also need to understand that there's different resolutions of arcade games. Most will be low-res CGA, a few will be medium res, and a few will be higher res. If you just want to pick a good all-around tube, pick a CGA tube. If you have loads of cash, pick a tri-sync that can do all 3.

Iflippedthecanoe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 11:47:49 am »
Oh damn ok that helps to know. I don't really plan on spending more than $400 but the games I want to play are 1st through 6 gen console games. Also want to play lots of arcade games from 2D to 3D. So basically everything. But If I had to choose I just want a clear monitor that works good with 16bit-ish games and good scanlines if possible.

Iflippedthecanoe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 11:50:15 am »
A monitor that makes Mortal Kombat 3 look good would be good I think...

arfink

• Offline Offline
  • Narf!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 12:58:12 pm »
MK3 is a CGA/standard res tube. 16 bit games and most of your 80s and 90s arcade titles will also play well on a standard res tube with very few exceptions. N64 and Playstation will probably look like ass on a CGA tube, but you probably don't want to play the majority of those on an arcade stick in the first place, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Iflippedthecanoe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 04:54:58 pm »
Ok that helps. I do plan on playing 3D mame games but CGA might work for me, maybe idealy a tri sync would be the best all in one monitor?
Also are there higher end higher resolution CGA monitors out there? Also what would be a good make/model for CGA/tri sync or anytything else?

Iflippedthecanoe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 04:59:11 pm »
I also have a monitor called an Effinet EFG-1701M/F , but i have no idea what the quality of that model is...

arfink

• Offline Offline
  • Narf!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 09:23:40 pm »
Ok that helps. I do plan on playing 3D mame games but CGA might work for me, maybe idealy a tri sync would be the best all in one monitor?
Also are there higher end higher resolution CGA monitors out there? Also what would be a good make/model for CGA/tri sync or anytything else?

If money is no object, Nanao brand is considered exceptional, they came in Japanese candy cabs and are some of the finest. They're available in CGA and tri-sync. As for the EFFinet thing, if it's reasonably new, probably not a big deal to use it. Contact the manufacturer for a data sheet if you need it.

https://effinet.en.ec21.com/CRT_Monitor--762751_762764.html