Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: So any anti cabin fever projects?  (Read 28052 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
So any anti cabin fever projects?
« on: March 18, 2020, 02:45:01 am »
Eh so a lot of people are stuck at home for a while due to our ongoing viral outbreak.  It doesn't affect me too much as I'm generally stuck at home anyway, but I might order some project related stuff just in case it gets so bad we have a shelter in place mandate in the future.  I've got the bottom half of a rotary joystick on the way to finally finish that 3d printer project and I might go ahead and pick up a gdemu with my amazon credit to fix my dreamcast. 

What about you guys?  Anything going down the pipe?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:46:32 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: So any anti cabin fever projects?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 05:33:39 am »
I've got the bottom half of a rotary joystick on the way to finally finish that 3d printer project
Look forward to seeing how your rotary project turns out.   :cheers:

Scott

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 08:35:53 am »
If you are depending on Amazon, you’ll want to check on your order times. Almost everything is taking 5ish days to have delivered for me.

I won’t be building anything, but I will be playing! :)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:14:17 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 09:56:43 am »
Recreationally read the Centipede thread to get my blood pressure up.

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 02:08:22 pm »
Maybe, hopefully open up this bad boy. I don't have any experience with these types of machines so need to do plenty of research first. Got it free but was told that it had sound but wasn't showing up on the monitor.

shponglefan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 02:54:38 pm »
Learning pixel art and making video games with Godot.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 03:04:56 pm »
I've got the bottom half of a rotary joystick on the way to finally finish that 3d printer project
Look forward to seeing how your rotary project turns out.   :cheers:

Scott

Yeah I've been patiently waiting for the weather to break so I can get outside and build things again.  It's been warm all winter but it's also been raining all winter.  :(  Anyway.  I figured it might be nice to have an official one to make sure the mechanism feels right.  I know there's that earlier project that recreated I believe the happ bottom and by all accounts this is extremely similar.  I'd like to just have a kit out there for people to print out with as little hassle as possible for happ, data east and sanwa style kits.   I've got most of those sticks so it's just a matter of fiddling with stuff till it's right. 

I saw a Robocop converted to Heavy Barrel online and it's really tempting me to either buy or build one of those generic data east cabs with the curved marquee and make a rotary multicade.  I didn't even know the artwork was compatible.  I'll probably just slap together a bar-top for now.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 03:05:36 pm »
Learning pixel art and making video games with Godot.

I saw that frogger project.  I'm interested to see what you come up with.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 04:11:35 pm »
Maybe, hopefully open up this bad boy. I don't have any experience with these types of machines so need to do plenty of research first. Got it free but was told that it had sound but wasn't showing up on the monitor.

I had one of those. Midway touchmaster. Converted to a jukebox. It would make a nice cabaret style cabinet if you wanted to go that route. The touchscreen is serial and the drivers are available online. You can fit the touchscreen to a 19” arcade crt.

Have fun.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 04:36:16 pm »
Wife has told me it's time to decorate the bedroom, I really wish that was some kind of euphemism, but I don't think it is  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 05:15:23 pm »
I know there's that earlier project that recreated I believe the happ bottom and by all accounts this is extremely similar.  I'd like to just have a kit out there for people to print out with as little hassle as possible for happ, data east and sanwa style kits.
You thinking about this one that BadMouth made?

Scott

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 05:49:23 pm »
No there was another one... I'll look it up tonight and post a link

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:48 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 07:59:52 pm »
I've been quietly creating a server for Global VR PGA Tour Team Challenge for the past year, as the guy who was running the previous community server was holding the community hostage, and eventually went offline. 
I've just stood it up and connected 40-50 cabinets and set up the first test tournament.

I'm working on the website so people can set up challenge matches (tournaments on-cabinet where you choose your opponents from any registered players), and I've hacked in 11 new courses -- just creating the installer for that, so new tournaments can use the new courses.

So I'm gonna be busy.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 10:46:48 pm »
Jennifer is experimenting with spot curing resins with lazers, Not going very well however, Perhaps a bit more UV, less crazy...And working on some 6800 assembly.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 11:06:46 pm by jennifer »

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 02:42:44 am »
Wife has told me it's time to decorate the bedroom, I really wish that was some kind of euphemism, but I don't think it is  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
As long as she doesn't tell you it's time to decorate the nursery, you're fine.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 03:40:14 am »
Jennifer is experimenting with spot curing resins with lazers, Not going very well however, Perhaps a bit more UV, less crazy...And working on some 6800 assembly.

Resin experiments sound fun.  Trying a few of my own on another control panel for the behemoth today actually.

I was thinking more of a jump to warp speed kind of look, but I couldn't thin stuff out enough to get the air compressor to spread it the way I wanted and wound up with something more like a minimalist Jackson Pollock.

Still not sure how I feel about it, but I think the kids will like it anyway.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 11:10:23 am »
You thinking about this one that BadMouth made?
Scott

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2020, 12:45:41 pm »
As long as she doesn't tell you it's time to decorate the nursery, you're fine.

I would knock that out in a heartbeat, I really would   :'( :'(

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2020, 01:57:41 pm »

Resin experiments sound fun.  Trying a few of my own on another control panel for the behemoth today actually.

I was thinking more of a jump to warp speed kind of look, but I couldn't thin stuff out enough to get the air compressor to spread it the way I wanted and wound up with something more like a minimalist Jackson Pollock.

That's actually not very difficult (lot of tube vids on the subject)...Basically it is a mold filled with self leveling tabletop resin and pass a blowtorch over it fast and quick to pop air bubbles...It works well, although if you inlay fiber optics into it really jazzed it up, but it levels funny since it is a round object in a square track, cold weater helps with this as it slows down cure times.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:59:25 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2020, 02:08:12 pm »
I have a medium res monitor that is a backup for my Championship Sprint cab. It works, but it is dirty as hell and needs new caps, and a few pots replaced.
I am going to get it all fixed up and throw it in my Championship Sprint cab.
The monitor that is in the cab now is really clean, but the picture is dim. I am going to fix that and put it on my monitor shelf in the basement.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2020, 05:32:56 pm »
I have a medium res monitor that is a backup for my Championship Sprint cab. It works, but it is dirty as hell and needs new caps, and a few pots replaced.
I am going to get it all fixed up and throw it in my Championship Sprint cab.
The monitor that is in the cab now is really clean, but the picture is dim. I am going to fix that and put it on my monitor shelf in the basement.

Wish I knew this much about monitors as my Rush 2049 plays blind after a recent relocation upstairs.

Maybe I'll have time to learn at the rate things are going.

That's actually not very difficult (lot of tube vids on the subject)...Basically it is a mold filled with self leveling tabletop resin and pass a blowtorch over it fast and quick to pop air bubbles...It works well, although if you inlay fiber optics into it really jazzed it up, but it levels funny since it is a round object in a square track, cold weater helps with this as it slows down cure times.

Not sure why I never thought of looking for tube videos for inspiration-
Fiber optic inlays sound extra interesting!
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2020, 09:24:25 pm »
Your most likely not going to find anything on epoxy coated fiber optics...But the trick is use quality fiber cable, the cheap stuff is wrapped or something and has air bubbles looking voids in it (If you are looking at side glow options), keep the runs as short as possible  and use a low watt light source to keep the light even, and keep the heat to a minimum as to not burn the epoxy with time...Hey Mike, That tube sounds like a good candidate for a rejuvenation.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 09:50:23 pm by jennifer »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2020, 09:58:06 pm »
You are right. That is a definite possibility. I need to find someone that has one, or I need to buy one.
I have like 30 CRTs. It would probably be a good idea to get one and learn how to use it.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2020, 10:24:24 pm »
I am guessing that is the 23 plug, kinda hard to find (some on e/pay right now strangely enough) which fits the more popular of machines Bk460 - Bk470, but when you buy them usually that adapter is not included...Personally Jennifer uses a Beltron 8080a, a beast of a machine but really hard to find, and has virtually no support in parts, or plugs, and had to learn it the hard way after modding it with a Bk cable...The difference if anyone cares, is Bk uses volts to clean,and has a relativey low learning curve, Where Beltron uses amps, And is ugly to learn, Needless to say carfull man in the wrong hands, easy to fry a tube.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:39:40 pm by jennifer »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2020, 05:15:09 am »
No there was another one... I'll look it up tonight and post a link

Heh... I looked it up and it was one of your threads. 

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=158253.0

:-[

My joystick came in the other day.... it's really odd and I thought is was a hodge-podge of spare parts as it has a data east esque red ball top for a handle, but I did an image search and found another one on quarter arcade. 

https://quarterarcade.com/red-ball-rotary-joystick-2

The cherry switches and overall design make me think it's a western stick, possibly wico??  It's odd because it reminds me of an older ikari warriors leaf switch stick on the bottom only updated to use microswitches.  It even has plastic blades installed to mimic the feel and throw of leaf switches.  That ball top is definitely odd.  The only place I've seen those smaller red ball tops used is Australia.  There's a company down there that manufactures some absolutely terrible data east 8-way knock-offs in red and blue.  This is of a higher quality though so I'm pretty dumb-founded.  Anyway, I'm going to hunt up a shaft and print out your ikari knobs to fix this one up and possibly make a stand alone controller box for it.  I'll then use it as a guide to get the tension right for those data east sticks I want to build.  It needs some maintenance but the turning feels about right from what I remember.  Honestly I haven't touched a rotary game in probably 25 years. 

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2020, 06:57:27 am »
I'm going to hunt up a shaft and print out your ikari knobs to fix this one up and possibly make a stand alone controller box for it.  I'll then use it as a guide to get the tension right for those data east sticks I want to build.
Would you like a Data East handle for that shaft+handle replacement mod instead of the default octagonal LS-30 handle?
- It would be a fairly easy code remix.  Mostly copy/paste and change some variable values.

Using DE handles on all of your rotary sticks will provide an apples-to-apples comparison for the rotational tension.

Scott

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2020, 01:16:18 pm »
I'm honestly not sure yet.  I don't even know if I'm going to use the collet style attachment you used in that particular project or not.  I was thinking of maybe checking out some bolts at the hardware store to see if they'd work as shafts in which case screw on style would work best.  (Just cut the head off the bolt.)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2020, 02:31:11 pm »
In all seriousness, I've got a backlog that would make 12 year old me weep.  I'm hoping to get through at least that Jedi Fallen Order game and Spider-Man.  Even if the "work from home" arrangement ends up killing most of my business hours, that's still 2 hours a day I'm not on the road.  Maybe I'll actually dust off one of those pinball machines and play it. 

The last time I did work from home, and absolutely hated the experience btw, I went through all the action RGPs that existed at the time.  They're easy to pause when the phone rings or the emails roll in, and all you do is bash buttons anyway.  Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance was head and shoulders above the rest.  Bard's Tale was okay but I revisited it recently and it's a rough game to play now.  Maybe I'll finally get my way through Torchlight II.....

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2020, 02:38:35 pm »
I've been grinding through street fighter v arcade edition to unlock some of the championship edition stuff.  Man Capcom is doing some shady ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- with that game.  Championship edition is $30 but to upgrade from arcade edition is $25.  Arcade edition still retails for about $20.    I'm going to get my 6 easy character upgrades and be done with it. 

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 05:08:11 pm
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2020, 05:34:32 pm »
I've assembled a bunch of 'off grid' stuff in my garage in case I need to live out there.  All I had previously was a fridge, but now I have a cooking bench with plumbed sink, solar battery/power a hot shower and a camp bed.  I can lie down and be surrounded by old CRTs and other junk, which I find strangely comforting.....

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:30:56 am
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2020, 07:08:02 pm »
I am "working" from home and this was one of the busiest weeks I've ever had dealing with the impact to our business of this virus.  I thought I'd be playing video games and working on projects... maybe next week?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2020, 09:13:45 pm »
I'm like one of 2 people in my department that has open access to the facilities next week. I'm sure I'll be muling things in and out all week. I watched hundreds of imacs walk out the doors today.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2020, 12:04:27 am »
I know that I'm cross polluting the thread at this point but I just wanted to mention that the rotary stick I bought is weird.  I though for sure when I took the collet off today that I'd see a hacked up shaft but as far as I can tell it's factory.  There's no groove for an e-clip and the hole for the set screw is professionally drilled.  Now I want to know what this thing came off of. 

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2020, 01:30:25 pm »
I'm working from home now until further notice so might finally start assembling my CNC machine on the dining room table.
doesn't look like i'll be having friends over for parties or D&D sessions for a while.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2020, 01:36:04 pm »
I'm working from home now until further notice so might finally start assembling my CNC machine on the dining room table.
doesn't look like i'll be having friends over for parties or D&D sessions for a while.
I should do the same thing. I’ve got everything I need to make mine, pretty much.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2020, 01:55:47 pm »
Working through David Brubeck and making bread today.  Decided I could leave the angry robot music alone for a day or two.

:lol

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2020, 03:50:22 pm »
Working through David Brubeck and making bread today.  Decided I could leave the angry robot music alone for a day or two.

I made bread thursday.
found out I can make beer then use the left over grain to make bread.

so tomorrow i'm making beer then bread.

also just cleaned out my pantry and planing to try the 5 yrs past best by date canned crushed tomatoes to make pasta sauce since i couldn't find any at the store.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 03:52:04 pm by nitrogen_widget »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2020, 08:33:57 pm »
I am waiting for parts from Mouser.com for my current monitor project. They are supposed to arrive tomorrow.

I can put this monitor back together, pull the one in the cab, replace it with this one, and then work on that one.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2020, 09:13:09 pm »

I made bread thursday.
found out I can make beer then use the left over grain to make bread.

so tomorrow i'm making beer then bread.

also just cleaned out my pantry and planing to try the 5 yrs past best by date canned crushed tomatoes to make pasta sauce since i couldn't find any at the store.

Still waiting to hear that you survived the marinara since it's been a few days now.

It appears that I am considered an "essential worker" according to somebody somewhere in DC who is obviously considerably more important than me  so my fun time has actually just been put on lockdown.

A blessing really of course (of sorts)

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 10:15:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2020, 12:12:13 am »
I moved recently so I am going to get my stuff up to date. I am starting with my Galaga which doesn't work. Most likely I will be replacing the wiring harness. Then I will fix my pinball machine, it was working before the move but now the outhole double-registers. That should not be difficult. Last will be the MAME cab. I am going to replace the monitor and rewire the controls to a USB controller, currently the controls are on a PS/2 controller. Then I will figure out something for ventilation as two computers have died in there from the heat.

My son recently returned from the Philippines so we have been quarantined for a week, with a week more to go. It sucks. I also hate working from home, but I like it better than not working.
Old, but not obsolete.