Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: minimum monitor bezel width?  (Read 4448 times)

Hubble

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2022, 02:53:31 pm
minimum monitor bezel width?
« on: March 09, 2020, 11:48:40 pm »
Hi, all!

I've sourced most of the inner guts of my new cab, and feel like I'm getting close to starting the woodworking. I'm using the plans from Arcade Cab as a basis (same design from the side), but I'm going with a wider cab and a larger monitor (32" widescreen as opposed to the 19" 4x3 used by Mike).

I mocked it up in Photoshop just to see if the components would fit within Mike's design without any modifications. See attached JPEGs, both with and without dimensions. All I've done is take Mike's plans and overlaid monitor, keyboard, CPU, and speakers drawn exactly to scale. , and it looks like they fit. . . except I'm concerned that the larger monitor I'll be using will be sitting too close to the control panel on the bottom. Not enough bezel space. It won't exactly be blocked, I don't think - it's not like the players will be looking through the joysticks to see the bottom of the screen. But I'm just worried that from an aesthetic/ergonomic perspective I'm going to want to raise that monitor up a bit.

So, my question is twofold:

1) Do people generally agree that the monitor should NOT be sitting so close to the control panel on the bottom?

2) Assuming (1) is a "yes", then what's the ideal solution here? I don't think I want to add any more height to the cab. I could flatten out the panel with the speakers, and that could gain me some inches on the monitor panel length.

Any thoughts or advice?

Many thanks in advance!

-Hubble

oskywawa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2020, 10:18:18 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: minimum monitor bezel width?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 03:59:50 pm »
whats your concern with is being that close to the control panel?  Is your worry that the screen will be blocked by your hands on the joysticks?

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: minimum monitor bezel width?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 04:51:36 pm »
That'll work just fine.  Are you putting a plexi/glass screen in front of the bezel?  If so, you'll be even more fine.