Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Flush cut and wood question  (Read 4307 times)

iowafishman@yahoo.com

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2021, 05:47:51 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Flush cut and wood question
« on: April 26, 2020, 03:44:52 pm »
So I have a couple of projects going on. The first I have a template and I need to make a exact copy with 1/2 diameter mdf so do I need a flush cut bit with1/2" cutting erea or maybe larger 1" cutting erea? The second project is a arcade cabinet and I'm not sure about using mdf and something stronger. But it has to not chip when I'm cutting the t-molding slot. So what kind of wood AC/DC for wood, Luan plywood, or oak plywood? I know partial board chips when you t-molding slots I heard. Any answered are helpful!

JohnnyJedi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2020, 07:34:53 pm
  • I want to have 10k games on my arcade machine
Re: Flush cut and wood question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 04:59:30 pm »
I used the regular (not the cheap one, particle i think it is) MDF 3/4 panel and had no problems whatsoever making the T-Molding Groove.. you just have to make sure that whatever panel you use you center the router bit exactly... takes a few tries to get it right in the center with scrap pieces.  ahh, and of course, please to the groove before you start your assembly..
Just help others because its the right thing to do...

My first Full Cabinet Build http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,162377.0.html

iowafishman@yahoo.com

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2021, 05:47:51 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 09:21:19 pm »
I used the regular (not the cheap one, particle i think it is) MDF 3/4 panel and had no problems whatsoever making the T-Molding Groove.. you just have to make sure that whatever panel you use you center the router bit exactly... takes a few tries to get it right in the center with scrap pieces.  ahh, and of course, please to the groove before you start your assembly..
Thanks but if im using a side panel and trying to make a exact copy using a flush cut bit what size cutting diameter for the flush cut bit? Do i use a 1 inch?

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 02:55:10 am »
Thanks but if im using a side panel and trying to make a exact copy using a flush cut bit what size cutting diameter for the flush cut bit? Do i use a 1 inch?

Are you using a handheld router to do this or are you using a router table,  That and the size/power of router you are using will pretty much dictate the type and size of bits you can safely use.  Does your router use  bits with 1/4" shank 8mm shank or 1/2" shank.  I don't think you would want to run a 1 inch diameter copy bit copy/flush with a hand router unless you were doing kitchen worktops and have suitable router for the job.  Working on basis of using a hand router with 1/4" collett I would go with 1" Long 1/2" cutting diameter top bearing bit,  Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Triton-TPTA61929914-2-Inch-Diameter-Flush/dp/B01MAXRYAD/

Also if you haven't had any training/practice with routers, you definitely want to get some in before doing this. Routers are about as dangerous a tool as you can use, High RPM and Sharp spinning bits make for a dangerous combo if anything goes wrong.

JohnnyJedi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2020, 07:34:53 pm
  • I want to have 10k games on my arcade machine
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 08:42:28 pm »

Im not much of an expert here but I dont think you can use those to make the T-Molding groove..  unless you want a whole world of troubles... 1/16 is the groove to make for the T-Molding on must of them..

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,162535.msg1713310.html#msg1713310 some picks of the one i used here.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 08:48:23 pm by JohnnyJedi »
Just help others because its the right thing to do...

My first Full Cabinet Build http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,162377.0.html