Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: javeryh's Woodgrain Cabaret Copy  (Read 123646 times)

jennifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
Re: javeryh's Woodgrain Cabaret Copy
« Reply #280 on: July 28, 2020, 02:41:47 pm »
 :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:12:22 pm by jennifer »

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #281 on: July 29, 2020, 03:48:19 pm »
fatmatch should rename files easily, have used it to rename pics/videos, its supposed to be for matching rom to images etc but should work, best to make a copy of the images before trying to match them, might not be what you're after but worth keeping for future use

https://hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/7401-fat-match-media-renamer/

Thanks- this looks useful.  There’s so much great software out there that people have made just for this hobby.  I’ll check it out.

That "You suck at Photoshop" guy over on utubes is how Jenn learned that...It seems really hard at first, but then you just cross a line one afternoon and it makes sense...And becomes really fun!

I am definitely going to watch this channel.  Any tips would be great because I don’t k ow how to do anything.  I can’t use layers.  I can’t draw to scale.  Nothing!

This week has been busy with work but I did just take 20 minutes to make sure the CRT is working.  It looks great!

The scan lines aren’t even that bad right out of the box.  I have to play with the settings and picture location once I get it in the cabinet but it works. 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #282 on: July 30, 2020, 12:31:38 pm »
So... I took off the back of the case to the monitor, which was pretty easy, and I can see how to remove the front bezel but all of the electronics seem to be attached to the bezel itself (see the pics).  Any ideas on how to get the bezel off and still support everything?

If I slide the metal casing out of the plastic I don’t think there will be any support. 

Maybe I should post on the monitor forum too...

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #283 on: July 30, 2020, 03:45:18 pm »
Javeryh can you create a support like the Star Wars arcade has where the monitor rests in the support and the support is screwed to the cab?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #284 on: July 30, 2020, 04:03:02 pm »
Javeryh can you create a support like the Star Wars arcade has where the monitor rests in the support and the support is screwed to the cab?

I don't know... I'd need to see a picture.

My original plan was to make a frame around the monitor attached to the 4 corner brackets.  This would then slide in and rest on top of 2 rails on the inside of the cabinet.  It seemed like it was going to be simple!

Like this:

But I can't seem to be able to remove the front bezel on my monitor without damaging things...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 04:06:10 pm by javeryh »

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #285 on: July 31, 2020, 08:05:29 am »
Like this:

Yes.  Now I get it.  I misread your previous post.  Its not the mounting that will get you its the disassembly.  And the picture you posted was what I was talking about.  It seems the guys in Monitor/Video have a good idea on how to do it.  I would even recommend having someone help you de-case it.  ie one person holds while the other pulls.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
javeryh's Woodgrain Cabaret Copy
« Reply #286 on: July 31, 2020, 05:04:04 pm »
Alright.... F this.  I’m not brave enough to take a monitor apart so I am just going to mount it in the case using a box and some blocking to keep it in place.  Here is the start of that process:

Testing the location for the rails.  This was kind of a pain to make exactly parallel to the control panel.  I ended up making a jig out of cardboard for the offset.

Shelf and monitor case in place.  I have to cut the shelf and screw/glue everything together.

Here’s a view from the front. 

I think it’s in a good spot but I can’t really tell just yet.  Feels like I’m a little less precise than I want to be but this is probably one of those things no one will notice once it is finished.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #287 on: July 31, 2020, 06:57:19 pm »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:12:40 pm by jennifer »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #288 on: July 31, 2020, 07:53:11 pm »
Dude relax, drink a creme soda or something and think about this...That is going to get hot and shorten the life of the caps...It comes apart, Just mount the pieces on that wood shelf.

I've been staring at it for 2 full days.  I cannot take it apart myself.  I took the case off at least 10 times trying to figure it out.  Not only will I have to unplug a bunch of stuff from the circuit board, I will have to take off the suction cup and also pull off the square thing from the back of the neck.  I'm not comfortable doing either.  Also, none of the wires are long enough to mount the circuit board away from the exact location it is in relative to the tube right now.  Maybe if I had some help I could figure it out but it doesn't look like I'm going to have any interaction with friends until 2021.

I'm not happy about it but it is what it is.  I probably should have tried getting an arcade monitor with the mounting brackets already holding things together.

:dunno
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 07:54:49 pm by javeryh »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #289 on: July 31, 2020, 08:07:08 pm »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:12:57 pm by jennifer »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #290 on: July 31, 2020, 08:13:36 pm »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:13:12 pm by jennifer »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #291 on: July 31, 2020, 11:44:34 pm »
I’m with you Javery. I’ve decased a few monitors and I’ve taken a few apart with the intentions of deceasing only to encounter the same situation you did.

When I use a crt, I usually just create a bezel from construction paper and leave the monitor in its case. Sometimes it’s just not worth the effort. Only you can decide if it’s worth the work.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:40:05 am
« Reply #292 on: August 01, 2020, 12:07:56 am »
I'm with jennifer - you just have to take a deep breath and do it.

I've been to where you are, then taken the plunge and jumped in.

Just think of it as an arcade monitor, or think of your cab as a new case.

Take lots of photos, especially before you go unplugging things. That way you'll know how to put it back!

CRT will be more secure if you can move that wooden bracket behind the corner pegs, so that CRT sits on top instead of hanging down.
Check out my completed projects!

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #293 on: August 01, 2020, 03:49:48 am »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:13:36 pm by jennifer »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #294 on: August 01, 2020, 12:16:23 pm »
So... I have been thinking about it more.  I don't mind the work - if it takes 10 hours to get this thing mounted, I don't really care.  In quarantine I have more time than I know what to do with.  I am just afraid of electrocuting myself and to a lesser degree breaking the monitor (it's replaceable) or not being able to assemble it properly once I get it apart (getting the suction cup thing back in place, attaching the small PCB back on to the neck of the tube, etc.).

I bought some alligator clips while I was at Home Depot getting some screws just in case I want to try.  I have a big screwdriver I never use with a plastic handle that I can sacrifice for the discharge tool... I don't know!  I've wanted to learn this stuff for a while but I am also an idiot...

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #295 on: August 01, 2020, 01:12:20 pm »
Does this look right?

Alligator clip to chassis, rubber soles, rubber gloves, other hand in pocket and go?  Sound right?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:32:54 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #296 on: August 01, 2020, 01:18:28 pm »
Does this look right?
Alligator clip to chassis, rubber soles, rubber gloves, other hand in pocket and go?  Sound right?

Yup.  You can attach the alligator clip to the metal frame, or even better is the aquadag spring (metal spring surrounding the tube).

Most of the time I hear a small snap, although not always.  Particularly if it was plugged into the wall recently. Once you do it a couple of times it’s no big deal.  Just come back to it a bit later like Mike said and do it again for good measure as the tube can retain a charge.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #297 on: August 01, 2020, 01:30:34 pm »
Does this look right?

Yup.  You can attach the alligator clip to the metal frame, or even better is the aquadag spring (metal spring surrounding the tube).

Most of the time I hear a small snap, although not always.  Particularly if it was plugged into the wall recently. Once you do it a couple of times it’s no big deal.  Just come back to it a bit later like Mike said and do it again for good measure as the tube can retain a charge.
OK thanks... I’m not sure why I’m so irrationally nervous about this.  It has been unplugged from the wall for at least 3 full days but I know it can still retain a charge. 

I still don’t know how I’m going to separate the board from the tube - so many wires - but at least if it is discharged I will feel better about messing around.  I also think I might be able to take the front bezel off and support the chassis with some blocks while I trace the outline of the tube and then mount it all without disassembling anything....

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #298 on: August 01, 2020, 01:43:30 pm »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:14:26 pm by jennifer »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #299 on: August 01, 2020, 01:52:12 pm »
You'll be shocked how easy it is! :D

This is one of those things that doesn't really bother me. I've been able to hide the arcade monitor bezel and keep the monitor in tact. It just depends how you do it, and what your comfort level is. My current arcades are a mix of decased and still in their factory cases monitors.

This is my defender with a LCD, clear plexi and the default factory case:

In this case, I used construction paper that I spray painted black and cut into strips. I attached those strips to the monitor case before mounting to the TV. It looks very close to factory.

This is a LCD behind dark plexi. If you plan on using smoked plexi, you really are wasting a lot of time right now for something no one will see.

Galaga cabinet using an arcade monitor and factory bezel behind clear glass. This is perfect authenticity and if the question is if it presents better than the LCD behind clear plexi with construction paper bezel, I'd say the answer is no. No one, including myself, notices.

This is a star wars, using a CRT behind smoked glass. You can't see anything behind the glass until the game is turned on. I used a construction paper bezel, but you are unable to see it. Next time I have access to the controls, I'm going to reduce the brightness of the monitor to reduce the light bleed, but it's nowhere near as obvious when you are playing the game.

To me, if you are going to use clear glass or plexi, you can maybe justify all the work to decase the monitor, but if it's behind smoked plexi or tinted glass, you are doing a lot of work for nothing. I know you definitely aren't afraid of doing a lot of work, but wanted to give you some reasoning for why I think decasing is usually more work than it's worth.

Good luck.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #300 on: August 01, 2020, 01:58:35 pm »
Well that was a bust... it exploded and I’m bleeding out...

Literally nothing happened.  I jammed the screwdriver under the cup from every angle and was definitely touching something in the middle and I didn’t hear any snap or pop or anything at all...  I almost wish something had happened so I would know that it worked!

I assume it’s discharged... I’ll do it again in 20 minutes to be sure.  First I’m going to try making the frame without taking it apart but if that fails I’ll suck it up and start disassembling it.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #301 on: August 01, 2020, 02:01:05 pm »
Sounds about right.  As long as you had it grounded and touched the metal clip inside the suction cup and then move you screw driver around in the glass hole you are good

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #302 on: August 01, 2020, 02:03:08 pm »

Yeah.  I feel silly now. 

To me, if you are going to use clear glass or plexi, you can maybe justify all the work to decase the monitor, but if it's behind smoked plexi or tinted glass, you are doing a lot of work for nothing. I know you definitely aren't afraid of doing a lot of work, but wanted to give you some reasoning for why I think decasing is usually more work than it's worth.

Good luck.

Thanks lew.  The pics really help.  The plan all along was smoked tempered glass over the screen so you are probably right that no one will notice.  Part of me just wants to tackle this just because.  Jen did mention overheating was a concern because I'll have a box inside a box.  I did cut some holes in the back panel for venting air but I am not planning on installing any fans to push air around...

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #303 on: August 01, 2020, 02:03:24 pm »
Well that was a bust... it exploded and I’m bleeding out...

Literally nothing happened.  I jammed the screwdriver under the cup from every angle and was definitely touching something in the middle and I didn’t hear any snap or pop or anything at all...  I almost wish something had happened so I would know that it worked!

I assume it’s discharged... I’ll do it again in 20 minutes to be sure.  First I’m going to try making the frame without taking it apart but if that fails I’ll suck it up and start disassembling it.

LoL - that happened with the first one I did. I really wanted the snap, or perhaps even a loud pop. Over the years I've heard so many stories about discharging the monitor that I was sure I'd have a story of my own. In the end, I wasn't sure if it was discharged, or I did something wrong.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #304 on: August 01, 2020, 02:03:54 pm »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:14:45 pm by jennifer »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #305 on: August 01, 2020, 02:05:20 pm »

Yeah.  I feel silly now. 

Good luck.

Thanks lew.  The pics really help.  The plan all along was smoked tempered glass over the screen so you are probably right that no one will notice.  Part of me just wants to tackle this just because.  Jen did mention overheating was a concern because I'll have a box inside a box.  I did cut some holes in the back panel for venting air but I am not planning on installing any fans to push air around...

Right on.

Enjoying watching the progress. Keep it up!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #306 on: August 01, 2020, 02:09:03 pm »
Try not to scratch up the area around the hole too much with your screwdriver, can make anode sparking a bit easier...

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #307 on: August 01, 2020, 02:12:31 pm »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:15:00 pm by jennifer »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #308 on: August 01, 2020, 02:17:02 pm »
No...Take it apart, you dont want any undo stress on that neck, or it will break, gently wiggle the socket off, It only goes back on one way since it is keyed...Good job, man, the hard scary part is over!

OK.  I've got some tape out so I can start labeling things... What do I do about wires that cannot be separated?  The PCB on the neck has a ton of wires coming out of it that goes to the circuit board and they are glued on (no connectors).  So the neck PCB will never fully separate from the other circuit board.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #309 on: August 01, 2020, 02:18:29 pm »
So the neck PCB will never fully separate from the other circuit board.

Shouldn't be a problem

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #310 on: August 01, 2020, 02:20:13 pm »
... unless there is some compelling reason to remove the neck board from main chassis.

You just need to gently wiggle the neckboard off the CRT and keep it with the main chassis

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #311 on: August 01, 2020, 02:21:37 pm »
There is probably a ground wire from CRT grounding strap to the neck board. Hopefully you can disconnect that one easily

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #312 on: August 01, 2020, 02:25:34 pm »
There is probably a ground wire from CRT grounding strap to the neck board. Hopefully you can disconnect that one easily

Doing that now... only screw I've encountered so far.  The neck board was not easy to remove - I wiggled it back and forth gently to pop it off.  I hope it goes back on easier!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #313 on: August 01, 2020, 02:54:29 pm »
Well it’s apart...

I actually had the toughest time removing the controls connector.  I hope I didn’t damage it. Now I’ll see if I can mount the tube in an MDF panel and put it all back together.  Yikes.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #314 on: August 01, 2020, 02:55:17 pm »
At a boy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #315 on: August 01, 2020, 03:05:12 pm »
WooT!  :woot

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #316 on: August 01, 2020, 03:09:21 pm »
At a boy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So... how the heck do I cut the opening in the MDF dead center???

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #317 on: August 01, 2020, 03:12:13 pm »

This is what I mean about mounting crt on top of that wooden bracket

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #318 on: August 01, 2020, 03:29:24 pm »

This is what I mean about mounting crt on top of that wooden bracket

That's what I'm trying to do... how do you cut the hole accurately?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #319 on: August 01, 2020, 03:30:34 pm »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:15:19 pm by jennifer »