Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: javeryh's Woodgrain Cabaret Copy  (Read 123616 times)

Sjaak

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:50:12 am
Re: javeryh's Nameless Cabaret Copy
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2020, 11:00:58 am »
It's a perfect fit!  Incredible!  Please don't let this level of craftsmanship deter you from completing your projects even though it is an impossible standard to achieve.

I want to try this in my next build, but I don't feel confident enough.  :laugh2:

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2020, 11:26:46 am »
The hardest part was figuring out where to put it since it is completely arbitrary.  I decided to align it along a line that is at a 45 degree angle from the lower left corner.  I have no idea why.

Nice!  That's a simple understandable solution for that decision.

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2020, 11:33:28 am »
That’s it, I quit, I’ll never be able to pull off this kind of magic.

Nice update buddy, keep it up.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2020, 01:58:54 pm »
Nice work - and speedy progress!

I did the same thing with my power button and it's a pretty good place for it. I thought about putting an exit game on the same underside part but changed my mind. (Too easy to press the wrong one!)

I did think about adding "exit" and "pause" under there - I did that on my DK+ along with the insert coin button and it has worked out really well (exit to the far left and coin and pause to the far right).  The problem is that I still have to explain that to guests because it is not obvious.  For this cab, I want the entire experience to be self explanatory - I'm not even going to include a coin button (other than the coin return on the coin door) and I'm still up in the air about pause - I like your solution (press to pause and hold to exit using the same button) so I might try that assuming it is easy enough to figure out.  Don't think I've ever mapped a button to the length of time it is pressed before...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 02:12:15 pm by javeryh »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2020, 02:21:10 pm »
You can hide admin buttons inside the cab with coin door access.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2020, 02:30:52 pm »
You can hide admin buttons inside the cab with coin door access.

I'll probably keep a keyboard inside the coin door for real admin issues but for things like exit, pause, coin, start, etc. I either want them on the CP and easy to figure out or nowhere at all.  I'm reasonably sure the CP will have a ServoStik, 3 buttons, 2 atari volcano buttons for P1/P2 start and then I'm not sure.  markc74 put a volume knob and an exit/pause button to the far right and I am leaning towards that at the moment.  Coin will be wired to the coin mechs on the coin door as well as to a microswitch behind the coin return in case I don't have quarters handy. 

I'm going to need help with the CP art when the time comes but I've got some ideas...

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2020, 02:39:03 pm »
I've got you covered.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2020, 02:57:27 pm »
Perfect.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2020, 10:20:26 am »
The next panel I focused on was the back door.  This will be completely removable and held in place at the top with a cam lock and at the bottom with an MDF cleat on the inside (sitting on top of the panel with the power receptacle).  I cut this panel about 1" longer than it needs to be and will trim it back on the bottom during final installation (after cabinet assembly) for a somewhat snug fit.

The first thing I did after cutting the panel was drill out the hole for the cam lock.  It is centered and the center point of the hole is 1" down from the top edge.  Easy.

Next, I had to figure out the ventilation - I really like the look and ease of installation of desk grommets for ventilation.  They come in different sizes and once installed they make a clean hole and there is no need to mess around with a grill.  Someone told me once that hot air rises so I wanted to drill some holes near the top.  I wasn't sure how many holes I wanted or what size so I cut out some paper circles and started messing around.

First, I tried 5 across and it looked OK but I thought it was a bit too much. 

So what about using 4 but making them slightly bigger?

Not bad... but let's see what 4 of the smaller sized holes would look like...

Perfect!  OK - honestly, all of them are fine plus this is the back door so no one will even see it but still...  I laid out the "vents" just to confirm:

Yup. 

I know you are on the edge of your seat to see the finished installation... more later.   :laugh2:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2020, 02:29:19 pm »
After the layout was finalized, I drilled out the holes using a forstner bit - they are 1-1/2" in diameter.  The lip on the desk grommet is about 1/4" so the full diameter is approximately 2" and I think four of them look proportional with the panel.

And here's what it will look like when they are installed on the back door (the whole thing will be painted black):

They stay in without glue and the openings are big enough that I don't think heat will be an issue.

Here's a close up of the desk grommet.  They were $6 for a 5 pack on Amazon.

Good stuff.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2020, 03:32:19 pm »
Love those grommets. Exactly what I've been using for speaker holes.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2020, 04:03:03 pm »
Love those grommets. Exactly what I've been using for speaker holes.

I used them in my last project - came out really nice and they are so easy.  You don't have to treat the inside edge of the MDF at all.

I'm also planning to use Duratex paint on the outside of the top panel and the back panel.  That is the paint shown in this picture - very textured and when it is fully cured it creates a very hard shell.  It's supposed to be for speakers and I have a 1/2 gallon left over after building a bunch of speakers a couple of years ago and sine it is like $70/gallon I'm determined to use it up!

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2020, 05:14:53 pm »
Those grommets are pretty clever javeryh.    :cheers:

I used these PVC vents from Menards for one of my builds.  You can find a lot of inspiration in the plumbing aisle. 

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 05:21:18 pm by wp34 »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2020, 10:03:53 am »
Those grommets are pretty clever javeryh.    :cheers:

I used these PVC vents from Menards for one of my builds.  You can find a lot of inspiration in the plumbing aisle. 

Wow - great solution.  Next time I'm at Home Depot I'm going to take a look at plumbing - I bet there is a ton of usable stuff.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2020, 10:11:13 am »
Plumbing is the worst but they have a lot of cool shapes you can work with.  I have a bunch of PVC flanges in different sizes I keep for routing templates. 

Sorry for the thread derail.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:13:07 am by wp34 »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2020, 10:34:53 am »
Plumbing is the worst but they have a lot of cool shapes you can work with.  I have a bunch of PVC flanges in different sizes I keep for routing templates. 

No, you’re right - there’s lots of perfect stuff like this in the plumbing section. I’ve used similar items for vent ports as well! :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2020, 10:38:13 am »
I always thought a racing cab with my toilet as the seat would be awesome. It would give crap MAME a whole new meaning.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2020, 10:48:06 am »

Hold up... that is a really creative way to rout a perfect circle.  I'm always struggling with setting up my (home made) circle cutting jig in the right position...

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2020, 11:35:23 am »

Hold up... that is a really creative way to rout a perfect circle.  I'm always struggling with setting up my (home made) circle cutting jig in the right position...

Same here.  I have a circle jig but only use it if I need a very specific circumference.   For circles or arcs that only need to be "close" these PVC "templates" are great time savers.

This is the most ridiculous arc I ever routed.  It was as stupid as it was fun.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,116519.msg1277723.html#msg1277723

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2020, 11:41:56 am »

Haha that is awesome.  I take it you are like me in that you don't trust your own eyes when it comes to cutting to a line.  I watch a lot of woodworking videos on YouTube and I'm always amazed at how they can cut close to a line and then just "clean it up" at the disc sander or whatever and it looks perfect - smooth curve or straight line - they just eyeball it.  If I can build a jig to make something precise - that's what I'm going to do.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2020, 11:47:00 am »
OK here goes - figuring out the panel where the dynamic marquee will go has been by far the trickiest part so far due to space constraints in the inside of the cabinet and wanting to maintain a certain look on the outside of the cabinet.

I decided I wanted to fit both the monitor and the speakers on the inside of this panel so I started playing with the design.  I used some regular paper to cut out the shapes for the monitor and the speakers.  This is what it would look like with just the monitor:

I like this look.  It's very clean and simple, which is something I am going for with this cabinet's overall design.  However, there is nowhere else to put the speakers I could think of with my limited brainpower so I decided I needed to incorporate them here somehow.

So for my next try I placed square shapes in the bottom corners the exact size of the speakers I plan on using (Amazon Basics).

This looked... OK.  I wasn't thrilled but at least it looked uniform and when I pictured a black laminated panel with the bright marquee and black speaker cloth covering the speaker cutouts it started to look better in my head.  But I wanted to play with it more before committing to the design so I altered the look of the speaker cutouts and found a design I liked. 

Everything now looks like it "matches" (similar rectangular shapes for all cutouts) and I was able to maintain a uniform border around all the edges of all 3 cutouts - this last point was very important to me for proportionality.  I think this works. 

If you look close, you can see where I actually have to cut - the red rectangle is the monitor cutout and the blue rectangles are the speaker cutouts.  You can see that quite a lot of material will be removed when it is all said and done (which makes me worry about structural integrity).  This design will require covering approximately the bottom 1/3 of each speaker, but I don't think that will matter as long as some sound can escape.  Most of the games I'll be playing on this thing aren't that sophisticated - I probably won't even include a subwoofer.

I wanted to show my thought process here because it took me a while to get here even though the results are completely boring.  I had to think about it over the course of a few days before I finally arrived at a design I liked through iterating on the main idea.  I'm hoping this might encourage people to try different things and not get tunnel vision with the first thing you think of or even worse to just start cutting material without putting in some real thought.

Next up is cutting this thing.   :cheers:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2020, 11:50:56 am »

Haha that is awesome.  I take it you are like me in that you don't trust your own eyes when it comes to cutting to a line.  I watch a lot of woodworking videos on YouTube and I'm always amazed at how they can cut close to a line and then just "clean it up" at the disc sander or whatever and it looks perfect - smooth curve or straight line - they just eyeball it.  If I can build a jig to make something precise - that's what I'm going to do.

Yeah I'm exactly that way.  Do not trust my own eyes.  I also like to mock things up exactly like you did in the post above this.   :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2020, 10:40:31 am »
Now that I decided on the proportions, it was time to cut out the panel.  This was very difficult (for me at least).  First, I used a drill in the corners of the areas I wanted to cut out to make pilot holes for my jigsaw blade.  Next, I rough cut everything with the jigsaw.  The last step was cleaning up all of the cuts with a router and straight edge.  Easier said than done because of all the weird clamping I had to do for each cutout in order to set up the router so it had a flat surface to run along but still cut away the material.

This is how it looked after the router step.  In order to get the monitor to fit, I used a flush cut hand saw on the corners to remove the material that the router could not reach.

Perfect fit for the monitor!  I decased it as you can see from the picture. 

The last bit of woodworking I had to do on this panel was cut out the 2 holes for the speakers.  I repeated the drill/jigsaw/router process and when I was done the speaker grills fit perfectly.

If you look close, you can see the round area behind the speaker grills - the actual speakers just screw in place in the 4 holes.  The only thing I need to work out is how to get everything to stay in place.  I could build some supports from behind but honestly I think some hot glue around the edge of the speaker grill where you won't see it from the front will do the trick.

One concern I have is that I removed a lot of material from the MDF panel... hopefully not too much.  The laminate on the front side and the monitor mount should add some rigidity to the entire thing but I won't know until I actually finish...  I came up with a few ideas on how to solve this problem and Arroyo gave me some advice and the light bulb went off.  I'll post that process next.

:cheers:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2020, 02:57:54 pm »
That turned out real nice.  Everything looks like it fits in real tight.

One concern I have is that I removed a lot of material from the MDF panel... hopefully not too much.  The laminate on the front side and the monitor mount should add some rigidity to the entire thing but I won't know until I actually finish...  I came up with a few ideas on how to solve this problem and Arroyo gave me some advice and the light bulb went off.  I'll post that process next.
 :cheers:

That was my first thought when I saw the pictures.  Looking forward to seeing how you solved it.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2020, 05:31:22 pm »
Looking good!

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2020, 05:36:43 pm »
At a boy javery, keep it up, this should turn out great!  Have you nailed down the CRT yet?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2020, 09:18:03 am »
That turned out real nice.  Everything looks like it fits in real tight.

That was my first thought when I saw the pictures.  Looking forward to seeing how you solved it.

Thanks - everything is nice and snug.  I decided to mount the monitor this way for purely (minor?) aesthetic reasons and of course it turns into a giant headache.  Getting the monitor as close to the face of the panel was most important to me.  If I had just cut a hole the size of the marquee and mounted the monitor behind the panel, I am not sure I was going to like the end result.  I didn't want there to be a 1/2" or more space to fill, I didn't want to treat those inside edges and I was afraid of casting shadows on the marquee, etc.

I think I worked it out...

Looking good!

Thanks lew!  I'm quite pleased with this build so far - the small cabaret shape is really cool and the CP will be at the normal height.

At a boy javery, keep it up, this should turn out great!  Have you nailed down the CRT yet?

I have been unable to get my hands on a 17" CRT yet.  I've been watching a few eBay listings but I really don't want to pay $100 for it.  If I get a sense it will slow my progress down I'll probably bite the bullet but I'm trying to keep costs to under $500 total for this thing and I'm already hovering around $200 and still have a lot of stuff to buy.  There's a small chance I'll be ready to install it sometime over the next 2 weeks so I better figure it out!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2020, 03:26:28 pm »
OK - this post is going to show a little "behind the scenes" of my thought process for figuring out the front panel for people that may be interested in the inner workings of a lunatic.  The design is kind of intricate as you can tell from my last set of pics and I had a few options to consider on how to arrive at a finished product that not only looked good but was also functional.  Remember, my goal is to mount both a 17" LCD monitor and two speakers behind this panel with only about 1/3 of the monitor actually showing through a layer of plexiglas in order to display the various marquees.

The challenge was where exactly to place the monitor.  The panel itself is made out of 1/2" MDF.  If I was to simply mount the monitor to the back of the panel and cut the holes, the cross section of the panel would be visible and in my head I just didn't think it would look right with the monitor set that far back - especially given the angle that most people would be viewing the marquee from (looking down).

Potential solutions:

1.  Monitor behind front panel.  Cut slightly oversized holes in the front panel for the viewable marquee area and speakers.  Cover the entire panel with black laminate and cut openings for the marquee and speakers to exact dimensions.  Mount the monitor to the back of the panel with a 1/2" piece of plexiglas filling the gap between the laminate and the front of the monitor.  Mount the speakers directly to the laminate.
  • Pros: Nice laminate finish on the front surface; speakers basically flush mounted.
  • Cons: Potentially ugly 1/2" gap between monitor and front of panel; need to laminate many other panels for uniform finish.

2.  Monitor flush with front panel.  Cut holes in the front panel exactly the size of the monitor speakers.  Cover the entire panel with black laminate and cut openings for the marquee and speakers to exact dimensions.  Mount the monitor to the back of the laminate with a 1/16" piece of plexiglas filling the gap between the laminate and the front of the monitor.  Mount the speakers directly to the laminate.

• Pros: Nice laminate finish on the front surface; speakers basically flush mounted. No gap between monitor and front of panel.
  • Cons: Structural integrity is low (to the point where I worry about the unsupported laminate area bowing outward).  The black laminate is very thin and would comprise a large majority of the front panel (meaning, it won't actually be laminated to anything); need to laminate many other panels for uniform finish.

3.  Monitor almost flush with front panel.  Cut holes in the front panel exactly the size of the monitor speakers.  Cover the entire panel with 1/8" hardboard (instead of black laminate) and cut openings for the marquee and speakers to exact dimensions.  Mount the monitor to the back of the 1/8" hardboard with a 1/16" piece of plexiglas filling the gap between the hardboard and the front of the monitor.  Mount the speakers directly to the hardboard.
  • Pros: Structural integrity should be fine.  Cheaper because I don't have to buy laminate; can glue to MDF when assembling cabinet instead of relying on screws through laminate.
  • Cons: 1/8" gap between monitor and front of panel and the speakers.  This is fairly thin so maybe no big deal; would require painting instead of laminating - finish not quite as nice.

Option #1 was a non-starter for me due to the 1/2" gap as previously described.  My first instinct was to try Option #2 because I really want the monitor to be flush with the front panel.  So I cut the holes in the front panel as shown in my other post and ordered the laminate from Home Depot.  Of course, things never go as planned.  When I opened up the box of laminate it was cracked into about 10 different pieces so I had to return it and with a 2 week lead time, I was annoyed.  However, this also gave me the opportunity to inspect the durability of the laminate and that's when I started to worry that Option #2 wasn't going to be structurally sound. 

I shot Arroyo a PM to get his thoughts and he indicated that structural integrity would worry him too which confirmed my instincts so I started thinking of alternative solutions and came up with Option #3.  It's not perfect but if you think of the 1/8" hardboard as a replacement for the laminate, it starts to make sense.  The only real negative is the 1/8" thickness of the hardboard itself.  But then the more I thought about it the more I realized I didn't want to paint that much so I decided to try and make Option #2 work... which I did, but not exactly as described!

So after all that... I didn't end up using any of this.  :laugh2:

But it was time well spent because the solution did present itself.   ;D

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2020, 05:08:10 pm »
My thought? Glad you asked....

Ditch the plexiglass, mount the monitor as close as possible, or possibly route out everything but 1/4" of wood to provide some rigidity.

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 02:25:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2020, 09:36:50 pm »
Make the plexiglass larger than the monitor, route out the 1/2” to inset the plexi, screw it into the mdf and then cover with laminate.
Con: screws are forever buried under laminate, just remove monitor from rear for servicing.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2020, 09:51:05 pm »
Make the plexiglass larger than the monitor, route out the 1/2” to inset the plexi, screw it into the mdf and then cover with laminate.
Con: screws are forever buried under laminate, just remove monitor from rear for servicing.

This was pretty much Arroyo's idea.  He even mocked it up for me in sketch-up.

So I took his idea and kind of sort of inlaid 1/8" hardboard instead of plexi.  It will make sense when I post the pics probably tomorrow.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2020, 12:48:11 pm »
So... slight delay incoming...

4 stitches and out of commission. I’m so mad.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2020, 01:22:53 pm »
---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- dude, was that woodworking?  Glad it’s still connected.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2020, 01:54:31 pm »
Dang that stinks.  I did something similar when I was building my Tron cabinet.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2020, 02:11:38 pm »
---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- dude, was that woodworking?  Glad it’s still connected.

yeah... I don't know how it is possible.  I sliced my left hand (2 fingers) with my utility knife but the thing is - I'm left handed.  I have no idea how it happened.  I was trying to correct a pretty big mistake so I was frustrated and probably should have taken a break.  Lots and lots of blood  - got a drop on the panel I was working on so that will be a good reminder.

After spending the better part of 3 days working on the front panel, I cut the marquee hole out 3/4" lower than I had originally planned.  I forgot to take into consideration the 3/4" panel for the control panel that will be resting on top.  I wanted a uniform border around the marquee hole but now on top there will be an extra 3/4" throwing the proportions off slightly... maybe.  Once I realized my mistake I was so pissed and should have shut it down for the day but I didn't.  I immediately started cutting a replacement panel - and I was rushing. 

However, after sleeping on it, I think my mistake might be OK... I was planning on rounding over the control panel so it wouldn't have been a true 3/4" to the eye and now I'm thinking if I make the CP art cover the roundover in any color other than black, it will look purposeful and the black laminate border around the marquee will be in proportion.  I was already thinking of the black and white Asteroids cabaret art so I'll just have to make sure that part of the artwork is white.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2020, 02:56:36 pm »
Once I realized my mistake I was so pissed and should have shut it down for the day but I didn't.  I immediately started cutting a replacement panel - and I was rushing. 

Done that many times.  When you only get a little time to work on it you feel like you have to sprint to get anything done.  I always regret it though, cause my mistakes usually mean twice the amount of work to fix it. 

Glad you’ll be alright, and bummer again man.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2020, 05:04:13 pm »
Once I realized my mistake I was so pissed and should have shut it down for the day but I didn't.  I immediately started cutting a replacement panel - and I was rushing. 

Done that many times.  When you only get a little time to work on it you feel like you have to sprint to get anything done.  I always regret it though, cause my mistakes usually mean twice the amount of work to fix it. 

Glad you’ll be alright, and bummer again man.
This is exactly right.  Time is so limited and yesterday I was thinking I’d have an actual 3D cabinet by the end of the day but my mistake set me back by a lot.  As I was making the cut I was thinking it wasn’t right but I couldn’t figure out why.  So then I thought maybe the mistake was made a few days ago and I was correcting it.

I’m not sure I’m going to have to use the second panel though.  I need to think about it.  I’ll mock it up and get some opinions so you guys can better understand what happened.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2020, 09:20:04 am »
OK... time to get back to it.  Even though I took the day off of work yesterday and couldn't feel my finger, I couldn't let an entire "free" day go by without doing something... so I finished cutting out some material with the bloody utility knife that I had meant to get done before the injury.  Better than nothing.

So next up was figuring out how to get the monitor as close to the laminate as possible.  I decided that I just couldn't live with a 1/2"+ gap between the front panel and the front of the monitor.  So what I decided to do was try and add a 1/8" piece of hardboard to the monitor cutout area for stability in the area in front of the monitor that will not be seen and mount the monitor behind that.  The top part will have a piece of 1/8" plexiglas to protect the monitor screen and match up with the hardboard. 

I don't think I can explain this as well as the pictures so here goes:

I didn't take any pictures of cutting the hardboard but all I did was cut a rectangle to the exact size BELOW the opening for the marquee and glue it in place.  I tried to make it as flush with the rest of the front panel as possible so that I can eventually laminate over the entire thing.

As you can see from the pictures above, the glue-up was pretty complicated.  I had to get as much even pressure as I could along the thin 1/8" thickness of the hardboard panel.

It worked!

This is what it looked like after letting the glue dry overnight and removing the clamps.  I'll have to scrap off some of the glue squeeze out but I should be able to easily laminate over top of this now and not worry so much about structural integrity due to the thin laminate.

The next thing I did was laminate the panel and everything was going according to plan until I cut out the holes for the marquee and speakers...

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2020, 10:00:33 am »
Your flush trim bit wasn’t set at the proper depth and ate into the material?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2020, 10:02:25 am »
This cab should be called the widowmaker.