Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch Video - re-usable guts?  (Read 2659 times)

partycat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2020, 12:37:40 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Megatouch Video - re-usable guts?
« on: February 14, 2020, 02:48:59 pm »
From reading the little bit of information I can find on the ancient "Megatouch Video" cabinets, they're largely a stay-away relic in a state of decay. I can get a hold of one for nothing to fart around with , and I realize it takes eeprom chips for the programming so it is more or less what it is and cannot be upgraded.

The semi-FAQ from the games list thread says most of the parts aren't of any value to anything. Is the cabinet (dimensions wise) and display usable if there are enough parts available from an XL? At this point I will probably test and re-cap the power supply if needed, and then just let it be until the CRT fails, but, if I can make it a project I just might.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:10:40 pm
Re: Megatouch Video - re-usable guts?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 08:24:06 pm »
I re read this thread 3 times, I still have no clue what OP is asking.  :banghead:

partycat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 08:11:30 am »
Sorry - is the power supply or touch screen reusable if I get parts from an XL to try and convert or upgrade this cabinet? Looks to be an old 5 or 6.

I realize that may not be cheaper than just finding one of those.

partycat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 01:33:03 pm »
I did some more reading and picked up the cabinet anyways since it was just my time to grab it. It's a Super 4, and appears to be in fine working order except for the touchscreen glass itself which is damaged, and R1 on the remote board for the monitor smoked out some time in the past. Display is working fine though I suppose adjusting the brightness it out of the question. I guess I'd need to understand a bit better why that happened but replacing a resistor is easy enough.

My understanding of everything XL and up is that they drive VGA monitors, and this cabinet is CGA. While not impossible to convert, it would not be plug and play, and may not be worth playing around with.

It may be better at this point since it is in otherwise general good condition to repair the touchscreen and have it for what it is.

I'm still interested in any experiences or thoughts on retrofitting this cabinet as I do want the XL games, and it doesn't hurt to entertain the idea.

Apologies for the first post I was in the middle of a few things at work and I didn't devote enough brain cells to writing.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 04:59:07 pm »
i would assume you are talking about the megatouch in the great big upright arcade cabinet or slightly smaller cabinet like a pedestal (called cabaret) with like 4 games in 1?

not much to do with them...as "upgrading" them meant taking all the guts out and replacing it with new stuff (as you mention)

partycat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 06:54:11 pm »
It's the coutertop 13" , a super IV. No buttons and the various games.

partycat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 07:44:14 pm »
I replaced the touchscreen with an eBay part, really wasn't hard at all, cleaned up the cabinet and replaced the locks so they ... exist.

Super 4 tournament edition, works fine. I don't think the security chip is battery on this so I may as well enjoy it for now.

Thanks for getting back to me, since I really want a more modern one I'm sure I'll be back once I find one for not megabucks