Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Police 24/7 - played as designed on a PS2. Motion tracking + Lightgun.  (Read 12990 times)

KillerQ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2021, 09:15:18 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
As promised, here’s gameplay of my Police 24/7 set up. I have different guns on the way, but it’s already working perfectly.

My favorite part is how you can actually partially peek around corners and from behind barricades, it’s not simply all in or all out - that was a pleasant surprise!

To think I didn’t even know this gam existed 2 weeks ago, lol.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Police 24/7 - played as designed on a PS2. Motion tracking + Lightgun.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 07:26:45 pm »
Never heard of this.

So is it a normal lightgun but the camera tracks your movement to hide?

I remember the ps2 camera but only remember playing a fighting game and a few other crappy games with it.

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:52:10 am
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 08:43:35 pm »
That's really cool game concept! Is the game always reacting well to the motion of the body?

KillerQ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 10:10:58 pm »
Never heard of this.

I remember the ps2 camera but only remember playing a fighting game and a few other crappy games with it.

Ironically, the high toilet camera for the PlayStation 2 does not work as it came after this game. Only a very few WebCams from back in the day with certain, specific chipsets will be compatible with this game.

KillerQ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 10:11:47 pm »
That's really cool game concept! Is the game always reacting well to the motion of the body?

Yes, the game pretty much reacts perfectly to your movements. You can even move partially to Peek around corners!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 04:04:46 am »
Never heard of this.

Ironically, the high toilet camera for the PlayStation 2 does not work as it came after this game. Only a very few WebCams from back in the day with certain, specific chipsets will be compatible with this game.

Intresting!

Might have to look into this as it looks fun!

Do you have a link for the cameras that work etc?

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:14:24 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 12:02:41 pm »
This looks really interesting. Gotta love those unique gimmicks in games.

Here is a site that has a camera compatibility list:

https://hokutonoshock.blogspot.com/2014/02/police-247-european-release-of-police.html

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 12:41:14 pm »
Cheers Ken,

Well I can confirm I can only find one of those cameras up for sale atm at the astounding price of £70! :o

Have to keep my eyes open....

2huwman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 03:33:32 am
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 03:33:51 am »
I tried to get this working a while back on a PAL PS2 and failed. I got one of the Creative Labs cameras on the above list, and a phat PAL PS2 wouldn't recognise it.

The only way I have got it working is with a full NTSC-J setup (game, slim ps2, and official Konami gun and Konami camera). It's a cool game, but very picky about the hardware (at least for me!).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 03:38:04 am by 2huwman »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 03:54:46 am »
Which camera did you get it working with killer?

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 08:49:57 pm »
I thought the camera only worked with the Japanese version of this game. I paid extra to get the Japanese disc for that reason. If it works on the Pal disc then I'll track it down as I'd prefer it with English text.

BTW, this game was called Police 911 in American arcades. It never go an American release on the PS2 though.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 02:42:51 am »
I thought the camera only worked with the Japanese version of this game. I paid extra to get the Japanese disc for that reason. If it works on the Pal disc then I'll track it down as I'd prefer it with English text.

BTW, this game was called Police 911 in American arcades. It never go an American release on the PS2 though.

Been doing some research on this the last few days, Info is contradictory to say the least but I have determined this much to be true:

Both PAL and Jap versions can use camera.
But the problems seem to lie with the hardware.

There is contradicting info regarding cameras that do or do not work, It seems the PAL version may be more picky.

I managed to track down a Jap Konami Capture Eye so I will need to wait till that arrives but once it does I will test it on both versions of the game and come back with results.

I wanted to find a cheap alternative web cam however I could only find 2 on the list, Both were stupid expensive and not guaranteed to even work so I decided to just go the Konami route.

Seems to be conflicting info if the JAP cam will work with the PAL game but the guy who tried it was using a US console with hacked PAL disc so who knows lol

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 01:46:39 pm »
Maybe it works if the pal disc is run in 60hz or something. It seems like the sort of thing that could cause issues if the camera operated in 60hz and the game ran in 50hz.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 02:04:43 pm »
Did any of you guys manage to find a decent Konami compatible gun to play this game?

I have the official green Konami gun but I've never had great results with it. It has trouble with consistency. You can see it when you calibrate. Three shots land in very different places without moving the gun.

From what I read, the issue is due to a problem with how the Playstation communicates sync timings via the light gun pin on the controller port. I'm never sure where half this info comes from though.

The gun in the vid looks to perform better than mine. How is it in person?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 02:16:41 pm »
From what I have read the “multi” guns work with it.

Ya know the ones you can swap between gcon, gcon2 and “normal”.

I have several types to try around here so again once the cam comes I will report back :D

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2020, 02:46:10 pm »

I have several types to try around here so again once the cam comes I will report back :D

I've never been able to get any of my 3rd party guns to work well. I have a whole lot of them and they have trouble registering shots even in Guncon mode.

The very best of my 3rd party guns register shots with very limited accuracy towards the screen center if I max out my best monitor's brightness. That's why I bought the official Konami one. I figured it would be higher quality like the official Namco guns. It was more reliable at registering shots but not in the accuracy department.

Anyway, I'm hoping there is a Norgun I haven't tried yet that works well enough to enjoy a game.

There are patches to use a Namco Guncon 1 for a lot of the "norgun" games on the PS1 but they still take sync via the joypad port instead of directly. I.e. Your Gcon 1 will work like a Konami gun, with the same issues, on those games.

I have been hoping for a while that a light gun fan with coding skills would patch Police 24/7 to use a Gcon 2 (properly). And, while they were at it, they could add light gun support to the PS2 rail shooters with none (like Silent Scope, Op Wolf and the strange Japanese bug shooter disc I have).

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2020, 03:19:28 pm »

I've never been able to get any of my 3rd party guns to work well. I have a whole lot of them and they have trouble registering shots even in Guncon mode.

The very best of my 3rd party guns register shots with very limited accuracy towards the screen center if I max out my best monitor's brightness. That's why I bought the official Konami one. I figured it would be higher quality like the official Namco guns. It was more reliable at registering shots but not in the accuracy department.

Anyway, I'm hoping there is a Norgun I haven't tried yet that works well enough to enjoy a game.

There are patches to use a Namco Guncon 1 for a lot of the "norgun" games on the PS1 but they still take sync via the joypad port instead of directly. I.e. Your Gcon 1 will work like a Konami gun, with the same issues, on those games.

I have been hoping for a while that a light gun fan with coding skills would patch Police 24/7 to use a Gcon 2 (properly). And, while they were at it, they could add light gun support to the PS2 rail shooters with none (like Silent Scope, Op Wolf and the strange Japanese bug shooter disc I have).

Hmm I have never tested most of my 3rd party guns extensively as I normally use the same ones that I like.

But the 4gamers ones I have are very good and never had any accuracy issues.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2020, 03:58:58 pm »

Hmm I have never tested most of my 3rd party guns extensively as I normally use the same ones that I like.

Are these the ones you mean?

https://www.impulsegamer.com/igversion01/ps2/ps24gamersxk10lightgun.htm

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2020, 04:04:23 pm »

Are these the ones you mean?

https://www.impulsegamer.com/igversion01/ps2/ps24gamersxk10lightgun.htm

Thats one of them yeah.
I have another one thats black with yellow sights and a recoil slide (which aint that good) but shoots well.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2020, 04:23:49 pm »
Thanks. I'm give one a try.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2020, 04:31:20 pm »

Good luck :)

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2020, 06:10:30 pm »

Good luck :)

Thanks. I don't have high expectations but it would be nice to at least make some of those games playable. Nothing makes you appreciate a Guncon 2 more than trying a Hyperblaster...

I have a feeling that it may just be best to play norgun (and PS2 rail shooters with no gun support) in emulators.

KillerQ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2020, 08:31:21 pm »
Hey, Guys,

Sorry for not responding sooner. I don’t get notifications from replies, lol.

I have a few different multi guns and all work pretty well. I have a new one I just got in today. I’ll test in the next few days. And report back with all details.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2020, 07:33:58 am »
Well my Konami Eye arrived today and I had 5 mins to play.

So first things first I tried it with an original PAL disc and can 100% confirm it does not work with the Jap capture eye.

:(

Bummer...

So I then tried it with the Jap version of the game running from my HDD via FMCB.

Success! Camera is recognised and works!

This leads me to believe the PAL game is somehow region locked to not use the original Jap camera as its a PAL console originally so it cant be hardware locked.

So maybe someone cleverer than I can do some kind of patch for the PAL version of the game I dunno.

Anyway short vid clip of me playing badly attached to prove working.
I discovered during the filming I was to close and could not duck low enough LOL
And as per the norm cant video and shoot at same time my brain is to small.....

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2020, 10:28:20 pm »
Wow! Thanks for sharing. Is the game GunCon 2 compatible? I can't tell if that's what you're using.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2020, 03:54:52 am »
Wow! Thanks for sharing. Is the game GunCon 2 compatible? I can't tell if that's what you're using.

No you cant use a G con.

You either need a hyperblaster or a multi gun.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2020, 11:32:05 am »
Did you try running the pal version in 60hz with the camera?

I'm wondering if it's something simple like that rather than Konami going out of their way to region lock hardware. That sort of hardware region locking nonsense is usually reserved for us here in America to stop the crazies foaming at the mouth to blame gun violence on video games.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2020, 12:09:03 pm »
Did you try running the pal version in 60hz with the camera?

I'm wondering if it's something simple like that rather than Konami going out of their way to region lock hardware. That sort of hardware region locking nonsense is usually reserved for us here in America to stop the crazies foaming at the mouth to blame gun violence on video games.

No I didnt actually,

Is there a way I can force it to 60hz?

Its not a game that gives you the choice on start up.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2020, 05:03:17 pm »
Maybe there's a way in FMCB. My PS2 is mod chipped so it has a force 60hz option.

I'm not super familiar with pal PS2 consoles so I'm not sure if there's a button combo when it's loading that gives you the option like on some other games. He-man and Guncom 2 are the only pal discs I have currently.

He Man was only released in EU so it's actually optimized for 50hz TV's. I have to adjust the vertical size pot to make it fit the screen. I doubt Konami would have optimized their games for pal territories though. You can tell by looking to see if it runs with black borders at the top and bottom of the screen.

If it has been optimized to run in full screen / full speed, I doubt they'd also include a 60hz option. If there's nothing in FMCB then maybe a hex edit like some do to force 240p on 480i games.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2020, 05:48:12 pm »
Maybe there's a way in FMCB. My PS2 is mod chipped so it has a force 60hz option.

I'm not super familiar with pal PS2 consoles so I'm not sure if there's a button combo when it's loading that gives you the option like on some other games. He-man and Guncom 2 are the only pal discs I have currently.

He Man was only released in EU so it's actually optimized for 50hz TV's. I have to adjust the vertical size pot to make it fit the screen. I doubt Konami would have optimized their games for pal territories though. You can tell by looking to see if it runs with black borders at the top and bottom of the screen.

If it has been optimized to run in full screen / full speed, I doubt they'd also include a 60hz option. If there's nothing in FMCB then maybe a hex edit like some do to force 240p on 480i games.

Ile look into it the weekend.

I know someone patched a 60hz JAP version to run at 50hz so it should be possible to do the opposite, However I have no idea how you would do it.

Job for Howard maybe?

I will look into a FMCB method though.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2020, 06:26:10 pm »
Apparently you can use something called GSM to force 60hz in OPL so I will try and work out how to do that and give it a shot.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2020, 03:56:59 am »
Update:

I found the GSM settings and it actually allows for PAL 60hz and NTSC 60hz so pretty cool.

Sadly the camera is still not detected with either option :(

So back to my original theory that its somehow coded into the game itself.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2020, 12:44:16 pm »
Update:

I found the GSM settings and it actually allows for PAL 60hz and NTSC 60hz so pretty cool.

These companies make some real dick moves sometimes. It's hard to find any sense in them sabotaging their own game...

I've nearly finished figuring out my Wii remote camera mod to be able to use a regular analog joystick or analog gun on a Wii console. I was going to do the PS3 camera next but I suspect is works in a similar way to the PS2 one.

If it uses a similar I2C - digital pot circuit, a hardware mod is probably relatively simple if we can't find a software patch.

For additional hardware, the PS2 usually includes custom drivers in an IRX file on the disc. You could try replacing the IRX files on the EU disc with the ones from the Japanese disc to see if it makes the camera work.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2020, 12:53:09 pm »
Update:

These companies make some real dick moves sometimes. It's hard to find any sense in them sabotaging their own game...

I've nearly finished figuring out my Wii remote camera mod to be able to use a regular analog joystick or analog gun on a Wii console. I was going to do the PS3 camera next but I suspect is works in a similar way to the PS2 one.

If it uses a similar I2C - digital pot circuit, a hardware mod is probably relatively simple if we can't find a software patch.

For additional hardware, the PS2 usually includes custom drivers in an IRX file on the disc. You could try replacing the IRX files on the EU disc with the ones from the Japanese disc to see if it makes the camera work.

Interesting idea, Ile download the 2 images over the weekend and see if there are those IRX files.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2020, 02:23:00 pm »
Make sure to check the specific file names if you replace one set of IRX files with the other. Those file names will be used by the game so rename if needed.

While you're experimenting, maybe try and make up an image where the norgun drivers are replaced with ones from a Guncon 2 game. I'm curious if there is a straightforward way of adding guncon 2 compatibility to PS2 rail shooters with no gun support (like Silent scope and Operation Wolf).

phasermaniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:40:47 am
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2020, 06:05:48 pm »
Hi! Can this game be played without the cam?
I remeber the guy that made the nuvee ps2 plugin couldnt make it work. Wasnt him who did the norgun to guncon 2 conversions?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2020, 07:41:19 pm »
Hi! Can this game be played without the cam?
I remeber the guy that made the nuvee ps2 plugin couldnt make it work. Wasnt him who did the norgun to guncon 2 conversions?

Yeah it can be played with a controller but I wouldn’t really bother.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2020, 08:33:14 pm »
Make sure to check the specific file names if you replace one set of IRX files with the other. Those file names will be used by the game so rename if needed.

While you're experimenting, maybe try and make up an image where the norgun drivers are replaced with ones from a Guncon 2 game. I'm curious if there is a straightforward way of adding guncon 2 compatibility to PS2 rail shooters with no gun support (like Silent scope and Operation Wolf).

I downloaded both game images and found the folder with the IRX files in.
They are both named identical but interestingly the PAL version has more than the Jap version.

So anyway I have overwritten the PAL files with the Jap versions and made a new bin/cue image which I have burned to a disc to trial tomorrow.

Will report back after :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2020, 09:29:36 pm »
Please keep us updated.... really interested in this.  :)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2020, 06:20:07 am »
Well I tried the modified image this morning and I am afraid to report it wont boot :(

Back to the drawing board.....

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 04:05:15 am
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2020, 07:01:46 am »
As i recall, whenever trying to create a new cue/bin image you have to make fixes for the lba otherwise it won't boot at all.
You may have to fix the lba for the irx files too but i'm not 100% sure.
There used to be a program specifically for that, though i can't seem to remember its name.
Found it: https://www.psx-place.com/resources/cdgenps2.698/
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 07:03:33 am by Foxhole »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2020, 07:05:15 am »
As i recall, whenever trying to create a new cue/bin image you have to make fixes for the lba otherwise it won't boot at all.
You may have to fix the lba for the irx files too but i'm not 100% sure.
There used to be a program specifically for that, though i can't seem to remember its name.
Found it: https://www.psx-place.com/resources/cdgenps2.698/

I will check it out later thanks :)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2020, 07:48:02 am »
Tried creating a new image with the above but still just a black screen after running it :(

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2020, 07:51:02 am »
Did you fix the LBA?
Set the LBA to 12231 for system.cnf.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 07:53:11 am by Foxhole »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2020, 07:52:33 am »
Did you fix the LBA? It's important at least for the system files.

How do I do that?

I just added the files to the window of the cd maker and made the bin/cue.

I have no priors to PS2 game moding so this is all new to me lol

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2020, 07:54:03 am »
Just right click the file in the program and there should be something like Edit lba or of the sort.
Edit: Right click the file > Edit > Fix LBA.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2020, 07:54:29 am »
Just right click the file in the program and there should be something like Edit lba or of the sort.

Ile check it out now....

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2020, 07:57:39 am »
By the way, how is your ps2 modded, Hardware or just FMCB?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2020, 08:02:08 am »
By the way, how is your ps2 modded, Hardware or just FMCB?

FMCB with a internal HDD.

So I have found if I right click on each file and click edit there is a tick box for fix LBA.

Which opens the entry box to the left with a number in it.

I have left the numbers as is and now there is a * next to each files LBA in the program.

Is that all I have to do then just write the bin/cue?

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2020, 08:03:12 am »
The number for system.cnf should be 12231.
Though if it's not a hardware modchip i think it won't work like that.
You may need to patch the file i think.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2020, 08:03:51 am »
The number for system.cnf should be 12231.

Mines at 25 atm lol

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2020, 08:06:28 am »
Check this, though it's old so things might have changed since then.
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f150/convert-ps2-cd-bin-image-iso-opl-tutorial-104740/
Better yet: https://oplmanager.com/site/index.php
OPL manager is supposed to support converting ps2 cue/bin images to iso which is needed for OPL, and i think it requires a DVD but i'm not 100% sure about that part.
Sorry, it's been a while since i dealt with ps2 modding.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 08:09:08 am by Foxhole »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2020, 08:14:32 am »
Check this, though it's old so things might have changed since then.
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f150/convert-ps2-cd-bin-image-iso-opl-tutorial-104740/
Better yet: https://oplmanager.com/site/index.php
OPL manager is supposed to support converting ps2 cue/bin images to iso which is needed for OPL, and i think it requires a DVD but i'm not 100% sure about that part.
Sorry, it's been a while since i dealt with ps2 modding.

I use OPL manager to get the artwork etc but in terms of adding the games to he HDD I use winhipp.
I just point it to the bin/cue image I create and then it burns it to the HDD.

It works fine for any original game image I have made or downloaded but something I have done while swapping out the IRX files.

Possibly due to LBA fault (which I am assuming is a boot record of sorts?)

It could also be just totally different IRX files which are breaking the game I really do not know.

This kind of stuff is over my simple head tbh LOL

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2020, 08:16:18 am »
If you are trying to boot from the HDD then the LBA shouldn't matter, i thought you were trying it from a disc since you wrote that you've burned it to a disc.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2020, 08:18:48 am »
Ahh yes! Sorry I did!!

I tried from disc but I could not get the loader to work so I pulled the HDD out and added it instead!

My bad :D

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2020, 04:02:22 pm »
Ahh yes! Sorry I did!!

I tried from disc but I could not get the loader to work so I pulled the HDD out and added it instead!

To run any game from a burnt disc with FMCB, you have to use the patching program before writing it to disc.

FMCB has problems with PS2 games that came on CD instead of DVD. Some .bin games can be converted to an ISO but there is a minimum amount of memory that has to be used. I.e. If a game uses less than xx mb then it won't work as an ISO. I can't remember how many megs are needed but a large percentage of CD games fall below it.

If you search online, you'll find info somewhere on how to pad game folders with extra content to make them work as an ISO. I got sick of dealing with it every time I got a game so I mod chipped mine. So much better...

There is a lot of games that don't work well (or at all) from disc with FMCB. The PS2 is also fairly pedantic when running games from an HDD too though. I often had to spend time figuring out which tiny mistake I made this time. Just takes one extra space and .... the black screen of nothing....

If it doesn't work still, we could do with finding out how to open, read and mod an IRX file. I couldn't find any free software to open that format (but I don't know what I'm looking for). Who knows what other region restrictions could be buried in there...

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2020, 04:17:19 pm »
Ahh yes! Sorry I did!!

To run any game from a burnt disc with FMCB, you have to use the patching program before writing it to disc.

FMCB has problems with PS2 games that came on CD instead of DVD. Some .bin games can be converted to an ISO but there is a minimum amount of memory that has to be used. I.e. If a game uses less than xx mb then it won't work as an ISO. I can't remember how many megs are needed but a large percentage of CD games fall below it.

If you search online, you'll find info somewhere on how to pad game folders with extra content to make them work as an ISO. I got sick of dealing with it every time I got a game so I mod chipped mine. So much better...

There is a lot of games that don't work well (or at all) from disc with FMCB. The PS2 is also fairly pedantic when running games from an HDD too though. I often had to spend time figuring out which tiny mistake I made this time. Just takes one extra space and .... the black screen of nothing....

If it doesn't work still, we could do with finding out how to open, read and mod an IRX file. I couldn't find any free software to open that format (but I don't know what I'm looking for). Who knows what other region restrictions could be buried in there...

I have never had any probs running from HDD, I occasionally get a black screen during a loading screen in game or something but generally good.

Still no joy getting it to work so I am giving up at this point as I am in over my head lol

As for the IRX files I read they are very complex and hard to decrypt but I hope someone works out a way to hack the pal version to work with the camera.

phasermaniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:40:47 am
« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2020, 07:29:53 pm »
I kow this may be q little offtopic but, today I was doing some test with pscx2 to play with a gun, as nuvee plugin doesnt support it, I tested with my gun in joystick mode, I map it to analog right stick which controls the reticle, and it works in absolute coords. The only downside is the speed: even setting the crosshair speed to maximum in game settings, you can notice the crosshair is dragged by your gun.
Also there's no cam plugin for pcsx, but I have an eye toy which works ok like cam in my win10, do you know if it exists some program to map cam gestures to key or button inputs? This way maybe it would "work"

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2020, 11:16:56 pm »
I have the FMCB mod with a hdd. I don't have a lot of room to store discs, so it's perfect. I went ahead and removed all the Euro games. Enabling GSM would remove the screen rolling on my Trinitron, but I got a lot of jitter and other weirdness. If you haven't updated OPL in a while, it's really worth it. I used to get the black screen all the time, but no more.

PS2, especially with added PS1 compatibility, is the best console for light gun games. The Guncon 1 and 2 are amazing. I missed this era back in the early 2000's. I had no TV and no PS2. We watched DVD's on a computer monitor. So, after picking up a free TV a couple of weeks ago, I've been having an amazing time playing all these light gun games for the first time outside of the arcades.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Yeah, this thread makes me want to revisit the PS2.  There’s also some good stuff out on Wii if you can get your hands on the Pelican Crossfire controller.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
I'd still have to find a decent tube tv though.  I've got a 19 incher in the shed but that's a bit small.  It's only composite in though.  I know that the psx has rgb out and the ps2 has component out, but I don't know if the guncons support that.  Are they composite only?

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
I'd still have to find a decent tube tv though.  I've got a 19 incher in the shed but that's a bit small.  It's only composite in though.  I know that the psx has rgb out and the ps2 has component out, but I don't know if the guncons support that.  Are they composite only?

Guncons 1 and 2 work through component. You just use the green cable instead of the yellow.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
Yeah, this thread makes me want to revisit the PS2.  There’s also some good stuff out on Wii if you can get your hands on the Pelican Crossfire controller.

The Wii has some great light gun games. Some of them even have four player support, which is amazing. Never heard of the Crossfire. It looks interesting. I use the official Nintendo "Zapper" wiimote shell, basically just because it has a decent quality trigger.

Zebra

• Offline Offline

Guncons 1 and 2 work through component. You just use the green cable instead of the yellow.

They both work in RGB too. You just connect composite sync to the guncon sync cable. I use mine with the Ultimarc Playstation tri-sync cable.

Zebra

• Offline Offline

The Wii has some great light gun games. Some of them even have four player support, which is amazing. Never heard of the Crossfire. It looks interesting. I use the official Nintendo "Zapper" wiimote shell, basically just because it has a decent quality trigger.

Wii light gun games are best played in the Dolphin emulator IMO. The system does have some good light gun games but they're ruined on the Wii console by forcing the use of the Wii remote. Dolphin let's you map controls to any PC gun you like. There are some excellent PC gun options these days...

It's a really good emulator too. I own a real Wii console and I still choose to play in Dolphin. It makes proper use of the gpu so it doesn't need a monster PC set-up to run well.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
Yeah except a lot of those games were designed for the wiimote, so by using something else you are actually playing them wrong.  Games like the resident evil chronicles' in particular just won't work with a normal light gun. 

KillerQ

• Offline Offline
Great investigation work. I hope you can come up with something to get the PAL game working. 

Man, I really gotta make it so I’m notified when I get responses to my OP here. Lol.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
Yeah except a lot of those games were designed for the wiimote, so by using something else you are actually playing them wrong.  Games like the resident evil chronicles' in particular just won't work with a normal light gun.

I'm not sure what you mean by "playing it wrong"?

The Wii remote outputs like an analog controller. Any of my PC guns which output as analog controllers in Windows (which is most of them) work well in Dolphin.

The type of controller is not important in Dolphin though as it takes whatever controls you choose and then emulates a Wii remote. The Wii remote is just a pointing device with buttons. It doesn't matter if you use an absolute mouse gun, a regular relative mouse, an absolute analog gun or relative analog controller. You choose whatever you like to play with. It has excellent fine tuning options too.

Every function of a Wii remote and nunchuk can be allocated to any controller or combination of controllers. If a game needed an accelerometer and/or a gyro as well as a pointing device, you can add what you need.

Hybrid light gun / FPS games like Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles which have you walking around while shooting also benefit from Dolphins flexibility. It lets you use a far more accurate gun to aim and then assign movement to any other controller including a real Wii nunchuk or PS Move controller. Or you could even plug in an Apac and hook up a real Gun Survivor 2 arcade gun which has linear pots on the gun for moving.

Every PC gun I've tried worked at least as well as a Wii remote. Most worked a good deal better though as the Wii remote is not great as a gun. More accuracy, more flexibility and being able to sit as close to the screen as you like improves every Wii gun game imo.

I should add that I enjoy the Wii and it's remote for a lot of it's games. Just not light gun and FPS games. I'm certainly not anti-Wii. Games like Star Wars the Force Unleashed are better on the Wii than the PS3 because of the Wii remote. I hook up a real Wii remote and Nunchuk for my Son to play games in Dolphin sometimes.