Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RGB LED Strip Ideas  (Read 5924 times)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:02:53 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
RGB LED Strip Ideas
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2020, 06:40:34 pm »
Yeah. Calling people puds doesn't seem jerky at all.

lol, pud - still funny. I didn't call anyone a pud. If you self-identify, that's on you.  ;D

And besides..... worst case is you're saying I'm a jerk, for calling you a pud, for you being a jerk.  :dunno

ENUFF!!!!1!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
Re: RGB LED Strip Ideas
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2020, 06:53:12 pm »

lol, pud - still funny. I didn't call anyone a pud. If you self-identify, that's on you.  ;D

And besides..... worst case is you're saying I'm a jerk, for calling you a pud, for you being a jerk.  :dunno

ENUFF!!!!1!

Don't be jelly. You can be a pud too. There's enough pud to go around.  :)

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2020, 08:09:29 pm »
  :jerry

This place never gets old.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2020, 09:25:43 pm »
Not even sure where to begin with the responses in this thread... forum was way more helpful a few years back when I used it before, less 'catty'... 
This forum has always been catty...
It goes with the territory of highly passionate people with strong personalities and opinions.
The same people that gave helpful advice back a few years ago are the same people that are here giving it now.

Was a simple question, not sure why all the snide comments. As for Christmas lights and being tacky etc... when I grew up in the late '70s and '80s, arcades were full of flashing lights and music... so I am recreating my childhood experience.
Hmm,  where I grew up, arcades had their flashing lights outside of the arcade, not inside flashing the lighting on every screen. The most we got were black-lights installed inside. There were no strobes, no neon, or trim lighting inside where the machines were...a majority of arcades were dark, smokey and noisey from all the clashing sounds of cabinets running.   Also keep in mind, these were the days were all lights were either incandescent bulbs, or neon.  Both of which produced a lot of heat, while inside arcades were already hot and stuffy from the machines.

But, that doesn't mean you can't make it look good. If done properly, anything could be made to go with the overall theme and look of your projects.

Use your lighting tastefully, and sparingly.  If you're going for recreating your childhood experience, then keep in mind that arcade cabinets did not have many lights installed on the actual machines. Of course every machine had marquee and coin door button lighting, very few had backlights on monitor bezels artwork (Universal cabinets like Lady Bug, Magical Spot), and even fewer had lit buttons (Atari cones and Williams start buttons are the ones that come to mind).

If I were you, I'd use those LED strips for some kind of additional wall sign, or foliage for your the room you're putting your cabinet into.
Or perhaps for a topper piece. Underlighting/Backwall lighting always looked so tacky, like when you see it on a car. It holds no real purpose other than to try to look cool.

I'll go check that Facebook group out... probably more helpful and friendly.
Honestly, those FB groups are trash.  You think we're catty? FB is worse and a majority of them don't know what the heck they're talking about.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2020, 10:51:51 pm »

Welcome back Pud.   ;D

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2020, 11:07:27 pm »

Welcome back Pud.   ;D

STILL funny!

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2020, 09:06:35 am »

Welcome back Pud.   ;D
Good to be back.  Quick question.  Four player cab so I want to angle the joys for players 3 and 4 right?  More elbow room!

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2020, 09:56:30 am »

Welcome back Pud.   ;D
Good to be back.  Quick question.  Four player cab so I want to angle the joys for players 3 and 4 right?  More elbow room!

Actually you want to angle all 4.  How are you going to play 4-player Smash Q*Bert if you don't?

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2020, 09:56:23 pm »
Lets be real - if we had access to inexpensive and readily available LED's in the 80's, we would've put them on everything. The 80's were all about flash and pizzazz. Proof is in the arcades of today - extra lights, accessories and everything is over the top. You may have been to arcades without a lot of sizzle back in the day, but I definitely went to a few arcades that had lots of extra lights, sounds, etc.

The 90's were all about being cool and look like you're not trying (wrinkly clothes, unwashed, etc.) Terrible decade.

Gilrock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 05:15:46 pm
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2020, 06:55:03 pm »
I'm all for some cool leds as long as the quality of the control doesn't suffer.  My led buttons on my Mame panel just don't feel as good as the old school leaf buttons I've used elsewhere.  Maybe those Electric ICE buttons with true leaf switches would be good but they were out of stock forever when I was building so I don't know how they perform.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2020, 08:08:12 pm »
For a modern feel the ice buttons are pretty good.  They feel a bit cheaper than the happ stuff, but they don't make 'em like they used to and that's nobodies fault.  The thing is, light design is tricky.....  anybody can add lights to a cab, but only a few can add them and have it look tasteful.  I don't think it's something you should be adding if you are a beginner. 

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2020, 08:27:16 pm »
For a modern feel the ice buttons are pretty good.  They feel a bit cheaper than the happ stuff, but they don't make 'em like they used to and that's nobodies fault.

True.

These buttons are awful.

So bad.

My personal preference is a concave button, so I don't like to compromise on anything else. I don't light my playing buttons, but it's no big deal if someone does. It just doesn't have the wow factor it did when I first saw it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2020, 09:14:36 pm »
Well the problem there is Randy created a monster.  His stuff is quality product, but since his lit buttons became fashionable, Chinese companies pulled any lighted button they ever produced to the forefront.  I don't believe those were even for arcade machines originally, but they are marketed that way because they are cheap to make. 

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2020, 12:56:16 pm »
Here's another couple pics of the back lighting on my cabinets:

I lifted PBJ's idea and put a couple of those projection globe things that rotate and are sold around Christmas time onto the back of the arcade. It makes a pretty cool effect. These scream "I'm trying to be cool" because.... well, I want it to be cool looking.