Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dual purpose controller  (Read 840 times)

peterrrjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2020, 10:55:23 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Dual purpose controller
« on: February 23, 2020, 10:55:23 am »
Hi, good morning.

I saw a guy selling a controller, a small one player fightstick with a raspberry inside.
His controller has a usb jack in the back, with the option that when it is plugged to a pc it is recognized as an usb controller.
He does not need to to anything, it is plug and play. He claims that there is a kind of code to enable this on the raspbeerry. Here is the video, skip to 7 minutes and you will get the idea. I found others doing that, but I wish more info about what to buy. I want to be able to do it myself, as I have tons of buttons laying around and some mdf leftovers. Here is the video:

Thanks!

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 04:00:11 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
Re: Dual purpose controller
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 03:14:07 pm »
The automated switching part is clever - but the simple breakdown of it is this: He has all of his input devices (the ipac, the spinner, whatever else) connected to a USB hub. That hub is connected to the Raspberry Pi. when he wants to use it as a giant controller instead, you unplug that hub from the pi and plug it into a computer instead. The computer detects all the devices and away you go.

Sounds like he automated that a bit so he doesn't have to move cables around is all.

GeoMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:17:57 pm
Re: Dual purpose controller
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 05:47:41 pm »
I did the same with my X-Arcade Tankstick: removed everything from inside and installed two programmable Ultrasticks (USB), a trackball (USB), a spinner (USB) and a USB hub. All devices connect on the USB hub and a single USB cable comes out from the hub to connect to my PC.