Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mario 64 split screen multiplayer hack  (Read 4059 times)

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
Mario 64 split screen multiplayer hack
« on: February 08, 2020, 12:22:04 pm »
I tried it yesterday using my ED64 flashcart and it's amazing so far. Anybody else tried it yet?

Release and instructions:

Gameplay demonstration:

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
Re: Mario 64 split screen multiplayer hack
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 10:35:09 am »
I guess nobody tried it yet.

My friend and I tried the single screen Mario 64 multiplayer hack a while back and it was pretty much broken. You couldn't aim with cannons and flying was just a mess.

I'm hoping to get to try this new split screen version with him soon and I'll report back with our results. He has done the 120 star run several times, so it should be fun to try to do it together.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 12:42:36 pm »
Sounds pretty mad!
Let us know your results!!

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 11:47:49 am »
My friend and I have gotten 60+ stars so far on the split screen hack. We haven't had a huge amount of problems. The issues we did see, such as: clipping through walls getting stuck in limbo after you die and general difficulty controlling the death bubble, as well as camera issues with the camera getting locked in a floor or failing to go into first person for the cannon, were all solved by getting the star or pausing and exiting the level.

At one point, we tried and failed about a hundred times to jump from pole to pole in the volcano before realizing that there was a platform near enough to land on and bypass the problem. We haven't had to skip any stars yet, But the next star is the one in Bowser's sub cavern with the moving poles, so we'll see how that goes.

The split screen hack might add a bit of slowdown and weirdness here and there, but it is absolutely one of the most fun ways that I've ever played Mario 64. It works on flashcarts and emulators, so give it a try if you get a chance.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 12:35:06 pm »
My friend and I have gotten 60+ stars so far on the split screen hack. We haven't had a huge amount of problems. The issues we did see, such as: clipping through walls getting stuck in limbo after you die and general difficulty controlling the death bubble, as well as camera issues with the camera getting locked in a floor or failing to go into first person for the cannon, were all solved by getting the star or pausing and exiting the level.

At one point, we tried and failed about a hundred times to jump from pole to pole in the volcano before realizing that there was a platform near enough to land on and bypass the problem. We haven't had to skip any stars yet, But the next star is the one in Bowser's sub cavern with the moving poles, so we'll see how that goes.

The split screen hack might add a bit of slowdown and weirdness here and there, but it is absolutely one of the most fun ways that I've ever played Mario 64. It works on flashcarts and emulators, so give it a try if you get a chance.

Good to hear :)

Maybe pass your findings onto the dev so they can address it in a future update?

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 10:56:49 pm »
We're over 70 stars now. As for the inability to leap pole to pole, Kaze actually explains it during the gameplay video. You have to press B in order to grab the next pole. He states that he thinks it works that way in the original game. Both my friend and I are pretty sure that you didn't have to press B to jump from pole to pole in the original game. Anyway, we're still having a good time.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 03:22:04 pm »
Kaze updated the mod, but I plan to continue with the old one, since we haven't experienced the one big bug he mentioned.