Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Creating Wreck-It Ralph Arcade Software  (Read 6826 times)

meyer980

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 04:54:50 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
Creating Wreck-It Ralph Arcade Software
« on: February 06, 2020, 03:01:07 pm »
Have you seen UnclearHermit's Nintendo cab build? http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160477.0.html
He's giving it a somewhat original theme - making it a Wreck-It Ralph Cabinet (instead of the "normal" Fix-It Felix). I get that, in some ways it lines up better with Nintendo's own original Donkey Kong.

As a fan of those movies myself (see some of my builds in signature, including a full-sized Felix) I was super intrigued by his build! I've also been trying my hand at writing games from time-to-time.

Seems to me his cabinet needs it's own "Wreck-It Ralph Arcade Game". Mostly for fun, I'm making one.

Project Goals and Specs
  • I want this game to be visually almost identical to the Fix-It Felix arcade game - it should look like it was made by the same company.
  • I think it should be a "reverse" Felix game - similar game but from Ralph's perspective
  • I'd be lying if I said I'm not also inspired by Sjaak's Felix software, which is amazing and will be superior to mine in almost every way: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,129479.0.html

The game is being made in Gamemaker Studio 2 - primarily with their Drag N Drop tools but using straight code to accomplish things the DnD can't. It will use standard MAME controls and run on practically any Windows computer. UnclearHermit is helping me test it and will get a copy of the final game to use in his cab (if he wants - completely up to him). If others have experience in Gamemaker Studio 2, I'd definitely be open to help/input...creating the enemy AI seems daunting.
Or, if you have suggestions on how to make gameplay more fun, chime in!

You can see what I have so far in the video below; game launches, takes coins, starts a game, Ralph moves/attacks, windows can break, and highscores can be entered/saved.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
Re: Creating Wreck-It Ralph Arcade Software
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 07:11:24 pm »
I've made a lot of progress. There are now enemies and multiple floors to the building. Ralph can move in 4 directions and smash windows for points. Video of gameplay below. My capture setup is speeding things up a bit, it actually plays a slower than shown - I think it's doubling the framerate or something during capture.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 07:44:24 pm »
Nice job, be interested to see where this goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 03:07:06 pm »
That looks hard as hell, keep it up!

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 05:29:39 pm »
Thanks for the encouraging words Arroyo and Yotsuya!

Another version out, much closer to a final game already. Ralph can go up and down, crane enemies and nicelander enemies spawn in different places. For my second button, I have ralph throw bricks left/right, a good way to take out nicelanders who might be attacking him. It's quite playable at this point. Lots of fine adjusting left to do though.

processedmeat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 06:49:22 pm
  • Ikeakade Here I come!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 04:17:06 pm »
Would be cool if the 2nd player played as Felix!

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 05:15:03 pm »
Would be cool if the 2nd player played as Felix!

Haha not a bad idea...but, currently Felix appears at the bottom of the tower and starts fixing windows. You have to beat him to win the level! I figure that's a lot like reversing the game. In Felix's game, you start at the bottom and end at top - beating Ralph. In Ralph's game, you start on top and end at bottom - beating Felix.

2P in general is really confusing to me...I'm sort of saving it for last because figuring out how to store all the player 1 data temporarily while using similar data for a second player - seems daunting.

Some newish gameplay below. If there are Felix cabinet owners who'd like to help me test, send a PM. I'll have a Beta release soon I'm open to sharing with a few people.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 09:21:34 pm »
I installed the beta on my FiF cabinet.  This is a fun game---in some ways more fun that the original.  Looking forward to more updates.

Thanks for doing this.   :cheers:

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 08:52:44 am »
Haha!  This looks savage.  I'll play the link meyer and let you know if I see any issues. 

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 09:53:41 am »
Thanks Wp34 and JDbailey for joining in the fun! JD - I just sent you the download link and a key-code to play.

It'd be cool to have a pic of the game running in a cabinet. Could show my wife that all the hours I've spend making the thing aren't going to waste  :D

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 09:53:40 pm »
Thanks Wp34 and JDbailey for joining in the fun! JD - I just sent you the download link and a key-code to play.

It'd be cool to have a pic of the game running in a cabinet. Could show my wife that all the hours I've spend making the thing aren't going to waste  :D

Here you go.  I downloaded the latest version tonight and my daughter and I played a few games.  She's a programmer and wondered what language you wrote this in.   

We both had a good time playing it BTW.   :cheers:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 09:59:00 pm »
I should also note that I made it to the bottom of the building this time and was able to pummel Felix a few times.  That was surprisingly satisfying.    ;D

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 10:21:12 pm »
Thank you for taking those pics, that's so cool to see!

Tell your daughter the game is made in Gamemaker Studio 2, they have a free and paid for version. They have their own language called Gamemaker Language but I'm told it's similar to C# or JavaScript. I actually prefer using their "drag n drop" tools where possible, makes coding much easier for scrubs like me with zero backgeound in coding. I recommend it for anyone looking to try and make their own 2D games. I'm very impressed she likes programming, a great skill to have at a young age.

Thanks again for taking the pic, love seeing it being enjoyed.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 10:34:55 pm by meyer980 »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 02:00:33 pm »
Tell your daughter the game is made in Gamemaker Studio 2, they have a free and paid for version. They have their own language called Gamemaker Language but I'm told it's similar to C# or JavaScript. I actually prefer using their "drag n drop" tools where possible, makes coding much easier for scrubs like me with zero backgeound in coding. I recommend it for anyone looking to try and make their own 2D games. I'm very impressed she likes programming, a great skill to have at a young age.

Thanks!  We are going to take a look at Gamemaker.  She and I have talked for years about building a Turbo cabinet and designing a racing game like is shown in the first Ralph movie.  I tried learning Unity a few years ago when there were a bunch of BYOAC'ers learning it together but it felt too much like work (I'm also in IT) and I didn't get very far.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 02:16:28 pm »

Thanks!  We are going to take a look at Gamemaker.  She and I have talked for years about building a Turbo cabinet and designing a racing game like is shown in the first Ralph movie.  I tried learning Unity a few years ago when there were a bunch of BYOAC'ers learning it together but it felt too much like work (I'm also in IT) and I didn't get very far.

Try looking for Multimedia Fusion. I used it to make ZapCon The Game a few years ago. It’s a good starter program with plenty of resources online.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2020, 02:23:11 pm »

Try looking for Multimedia Fusion. I used it to make ZapCon The Game a few years ago. It’s a good starter program with plenty of resources online.

Thanks!

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2020, 02:34:38 pm »
Turbo was a top-down racing in a circle game, right? I'm sure you could make something like that with Gamemaker Studio 2. I can't speak to it, but I bet Yotsuya's Multimedia Fusion would work well too.

I've learned to really like Gamemaker's interface, personally, but it could be a matter of loving what you know!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2020, 03:08:19 pm »

When do you think Zapcon : The Game 2 Arcade Boogaloo will be released?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Creating Wreck-It Ralph Arcade Software
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2020, 03:27:04 pm »

When do you think Zapcon : The Game 2 Arcade Boogaloo will be released?

Actually, I had three new levels planned for a sequel and even did some developing. One was an Elevator Action level where Opt2Not has to make his way down, fighting the characters from Burger Time (Opt even made his own sprites for me!). The second was a vector line version of the Galaga ship fighting Asteroids and Centipedes (also vectored). Finally, there was a bonus round where you had to hit button combos to make Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker character do random moves for points. So the framework is there, I just need the time.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 03:42:32 pm by yotsuya »

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2020, 10:10:57 am »
I think I have this to a stable point. It's feature complete I think, so from here on out, I'll probably just fix bugs that pop up. Thanks a lot to those who have helped me test! If you have more ideas or spot problems, let me know. Anyone with a Felix cabinet, send me a PM if you're interested in running a copy on your cabinet.

I did a summary write up on my website http://sergiostuff.com/2020/02/18/creating-a-wreck-it-ralph-arcade-game/

And a video of near final gameplay below

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2020, 11:21:50 am »
I downloaded the final version and added it to the game menu.  Thanks again for creating this!

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2020, 08:43:44 pm »
Ok, couldn't stop myself :)

Added a freeplay option and custom controls

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:21:35 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2020, 12:45:36 pm »
Waiting for the pure DOS version :)

Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2020, 05:43:14 pm »
Waiting for the pure DOS version :)

Yup, plan on working on that when I travel to 1989 next :)