Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Rally Championship  (Read 5047 times)

isamu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Sega Rally Championship
« on: February 05, 2020, 03:41:53 pm »

Played quite a bit of it yesterday. Never really put too much time into the game but now I realize why it's so beloved. Handling is really great, especially now with Boomslangs FFB Plugin. Funnily enough, I *just* found out you can extend the race length in the test menu, adding more laps to the championship. This was a pleasant surprise and is something that will really make me sink me teeth into the game even more.

I'm gonna try and get into all the Sega Rally games this year, as it's the one racing series I never really paid much attention to. What is your favorite game in the entire series and why?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Sega Rally Championship
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 12:15:57 am »
IMO Revo would be the best were it not for the totally whacked out control scheme. It has way better terrain deformation than SR3, drive through the mud into a tyre rut from a car ahead or from last lap and you really feel it. Otherwise SR3 is best to my mind, once you expand the tracklist :)

I haven't reallyp layed much SR2 tho, i'm waiting for Supermodel networking to come good before setting it up.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:30:55 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 11:56:23 am »
IMO Revo would be the best were it not for the totally whacked out control scheme. It has way better terrain deformation than SR3, drive through the mud into a tyre rut from a car ahead or from last lap and you really feel it. Otherwise SR3 is best to my mind, once you expand the tracklist :)

A video of mine that's relevant to your interests:

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 12:09:37 pm »
In terms of favourites it's got to be the original, based purely on the sheer amount of time I put into The Saturn version. 2 and 3 are both great too though, 2 absolutely blew me away first time I saw it in the arcade. Never saw 3 in an arcade. Sega Rally Online Arcade was a budget priced delight on the PS3, really had a good time with, even if it was only 30fps. I hadn't realised back then that SROA was more-or-less the same game as SR3, so it's great to be able to play it properly now at 60fps, with proper wheel support and Boomslang's FFB mod. SR Revo definitely wins the booby prize because of it's wanky handling, which is a shame as it looks nice (slightly inconsistent frame rate notwithstanding) and has tons of cars and courses. Honourable mention must go to the PS2 version of SR2006. Only played it a few times using an emulator but it handles just right and despite some simplistic looking graphics it goes at 60fps. The PS2 port of the original SR as a bonus disc was pretty awesome. Why Sega decided to keep it Japan only is anyone's guess 🙄

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 12:14:48 pm »
In terms of favourites it's got to be the original, based purely on the sheer amount of time I put into The Saturn version. 2 and 3 are both great too though, 2 absolutely blew me away first time I saw it in the arcade. Never saw 3 in an arcade. Sega Rally Online Arcade was a budget priced delight on the PS3, really had a good time with, even if it was only 30fps. I hadn't realised back then that SROA was more-or-less the same game as SR3, so it's great to be able to play it properly now at 60fps, with proper wheel support and Boomslang's FFB mod. SR Revo definitely wins the booby prize because of it's wanky handling, which is a shame as it looks nice (slightly inconsistent frame rate notwithstanding) and has tons of cars and courses. Honourable mention must go to the PS2 version of SR2006. Only played it a few times using an emulator but it handles just right and despite some simplistic looking graphics it goes at 60fps. The PS2 port of the original SR as a bonus disc was pretty awesome. Why Sega decided to keep it Japan only is anyone's guess 🙄

Wow I didn't know there was a PS2 version(or perhaps I did and simply forgot lol). Cool. I definitely need to try SR3 though. Looks hot! Man if only these could be played in VR.

I had a dream last night were far far into the future, Howard's grand kids came up with a way to give proper VR support for every single racing game ever made! And that by then, we had full 360º VR headsets!  :burgerking: :afro:

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 06:26:58 pm »
Yes, Mr Thunderwing, i was the one who kept asking for that tutorial :)

Not all the tracks work, and the timer isn't calibrated for those that do, but it's awesome to get the content to begin with :)

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 04:07:20 pm »
Yes, Mr Thunderwing, i was the one who kept asking for that tutorial :)

Not all the tracks work, and the timer isn't calibrated for those that do, but it's awesome to get the content to begin with :)

Ha, my memory's completely shot.

Wow I didn't know there was a PS2 version(or perhaps I did and simply forgot lol). Cool. I definitely need to try SR3 though. Looks hot! Man if only these could be played in VR.

Yeah, it looks 100% faithful to the original 1995 version (haven't actually tried it myself, this is just from what I've seen on YouTube. Mark from Classic Game Room did a video on it ages back). Something I only found out about recently was that M2, the guys who've made all the recent excellent Sega AGES games, were responsible for porting it. Why oh why Sega decided not to bring Sega Rally 2006 (and the bonus disc) to Western regions is a mystery, I mean it's not like Sega Rally was some obscure racing game over here. In another nice little bit of homaging, in the main Sega Rally 2006 game, the Arcade Series 4 rally contains remade courses from the original 1995 Sega Rally. Noice!

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 04:30:16 pm by MrThunderwing »

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 06:03:05 pm »
IMO, the absolute best version of Sega Rally to play at home is the PS3 version.

It has both the original arcade mode and an HD remake option. The original mode feels more faithful to the original coin-op than any of the other ports and the model 2 emulator (again, just my opinion).

The model 2 emulator may be running the actual arcade rom but the hardware emulation is poor, buggy and glitchy. I'm not sure if anyone is still working on it but it hasn't seen an update in years. I run it on a tri-sync crt arcade in the correct native res and refresh rate and it does not look or play like the real cab.

The PS3 version feels finished. It looks great on both SD CRT and HD flat screens. It's force feedback effects are plug in n play with any PS3 ffb race wheel. The effects are very adjustable to taste. It feels great even with a cheap Logitech wheel off ebay. Plus it has extra tracks and online play which helps as the original arcade wasn't exactly meant to last as a home game.

All of the above applies to the PS3 version of Daytona too.,

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 05:24:13 am »
It has both the original arcade mode and an HD remake option. The original mode feels more faithful to the original coin-op than any of the other ports and the model 2 emulator (again, just my opinion).

What game are you referring to? The only PS3 versions of Sega Rally are Revo and Online Arcade, neither of which handle like the 1995 game or have any option (that I'm aware of) to play an original or HD version of the original game.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 08:49:22 pm »

What game are you referring to? The only PS3 versions of Sega Rally are Revo and Online Arcade, neither of which handle like the 1995 game or have any option (that I'm aware of) to play an original or HD version of the original game.

It's the one I downloaded from the Sony store a while ago. I'll post some pics tomorrow. It definitely has the original game in there. It's one of the options you can select as well as the HD remake.

I couldn't say it 100% handles exactly like the original cab with my Logitech ffb wheel but I can say it 100% plays better than the model 2 emulator. It looks a lot better too and is far less glitchy.

I like to output it in 480p and use my Ultracade UVC to down-scale it to 384p EGA mode on my crt arcade monitor. It's the closest I've been able to get to an arcade-like experience with the game.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 04:08:21 pm »
I'll post some pics tomorrow. It definitely has the original game in there. It's one of the options you can select as well as the HD remake.

Have you been able to get some pictures? I'm convinced your mistaken about this, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

negative1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 12:07:00 am »
yeah, i'd be interested if there was another HD remake of sega rally.

played that game religiously for several months, and wrote a huge FAQ on it,
at gamefaqs, detailing every single turn, race patterns, etc.

later

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 02:03:10 pm »
Nice! Have you got a link to your GameFAQ guide? I'd be interested in giving it a look-see.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 04:34:58 pm »
I'll post some pics tomorrow. It definitely has the original game in there. It's one of the options you can select as well as the HD remake.

Have you been able to get some pictures? I'm convinced your mistaken about this, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Apologies for the delay. I've been up to my eyes in house-moving this week...

I don't think it's a new version. I was talking about the "Classic mode" in the Hd remake that allows you to play the original courses with the original cars but with slightly polished graphics. I wanted to show how it looked in EGA on my CRT but my Ultracade UVC is packed away in a box somewhere. I'll upload a new vid when I'm done with the move. This is it in 480p on the CRT for now:

Aside from the graphics spit-shine, the course is 1:1 with the original. Some guy posted a YouTube vid showing a side-by-side with the PS3 version, Model 2 emulator and the Saturn version.

It's really not easy filming while playing with a joypad .... My skills are (very) slightly better usually...

And this is the Daytona HD remake on the PS3. You can barely tell it's graphics have been updated on this one when you output it in VGA or EGA and stretch the image to 4:3. It just runs smoother and less glitchy than on the model 2 emulator.

Obviously, you're still going to want to keep the model 2 emulator on a PC but the PS3 ones are my go-to versions for these two games.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 02:25:02 pm »
Some guy posted a YouTube vid showing a side-by-side with the PS3 version, Model 2 emulator and the Saturn version.

Yes... that guy was me.

I think the confusion here was I thought you meant there was a whole version of the original Sega Rally hidden in a PS3 game, but it's actually just the original 'Desert 95' course from Sega Rally Online Arcade which was recreated in the SR3 graphics engine. Sega Rally Online Arcade was a damn fine game and all the better for the fact I got it in a sale on the PSN store for about £3. If you want the better experience though, I'd suggest trying out Sega Rally 3 in Teknoparrot - as I mentioned at the start of this thread, SR3 was the arcade game that the PS3 and 360 ports of SROA were based on. Unlike the console games it runs at 60fps rather than 30 and has got a few other cosmetic improvements and differences too.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2020, 04:21:54 pm »
I have SR3 in Teknoparrot and I agree on it's awesomeness. The PS3 is only my preferred option for the original Sega Rally courses and Daytona 1 because the model 2 emulator needs work.

Teknoparrot, on the other hand, is pure joy. I like it a lot. It's definitely a both rather than an "either or" with the PS3.

BTW, that was a good Youtube vid. I like side by sides. They're so helpful when deciding which one to buy.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2020, 04:52:25 pm »
Thanks! Glad you liked it  :cheers:

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2020, 01:34:39 pm »
Thanks! Glad you liked it  :cheers:

I just saw you did a whole load including some on Star Wars Battle Pod. I can't believe there isn't more chatter on this becoming playable in Teknoparrot.

My first thought when I saw that game was "this is what I was hoping to see when I was a kid and first saw that giant Star Wars cockpit cab". I can still remember feeling disappointed and wanting my coin back when I saw those vector graphics. Their technical merit was lost on my 8-year-old self.

Now, I'm going to have to build a dome screen in my house...

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2020, 07:09:28 am »
Ha, I felt exactly the same. Call me a philistine, but I've always hated the vector graphics look of the Atari Star Wars game, regardless of how revolutionary it was back in the day. Battle Pod is very cool for a quick 20 minute thrill ride (even better now you're not paying £2 a time for each 3-4 minutes of gameplay). For the definitive Star Wars experience though, I'd highly recommend checking out Star Wars Battlefront 2. It had a shaky start, but it has so turned the corner now. Considering all the ho-hah over the loot crate controversy when it first came out, I can honestly say in the 2 years it's been out, I've never played a game that's given away so many free extra maps, characters, skins, new game modes and other bonus content.

Anyway, don't want to totally derail Isamu's Sega Rally thread with Talk of Star Wars, so here's me playing the original Sega Rally '95 tracks in PS2 Sega Rally 2006. The timer is ridiculously hard.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 08:18:42 am by MrThunderwing »

POOTERMAN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2021, 05:08:30 pm
    • My PC Desktop Icon Atwork
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2020, 05:42:41 pm »
P H I L I S T I N E!!!!

Alex take a sit on the naughty step over there, now think long and hard about what it is that you've said about the original Atari Star Wars arcade game then come back, apologise and we may, just MAY let you back in to our group in time!

Shameless attitude, honestly - I blame the parents.

:angry:

;)

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2020, 10:39:27 am »
Ah, Gaz old sausage, I was just thinking I'd not seen you around in awhile. All good with you?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2020, 01:34:03 pm »
For the record, the definitive experience is the sw trilogy arcade game.  The old vector stuff is quaint.  When you can flip a game in under 5 minutes it isn't much of a game even though I do appreciate it for what it is and built a yoke just to replay said 5 minutes. 

VirtuaIceMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:29:51 am
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2020, 08:36:46 am »
Here's some videos of all the PC versions of Sega Rally:

Sega Rally Championship:

Sega Rally Direct3D (rare version; unofficial patch for original PC version here: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=32316):

Sega Rally 2:

Sega Rally (Revo):
Check out my racing game videos, including every PC F1 and Rally game ever, over here: https://www.youtube.com/user/VirtuaIceMan/

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2020, 12:41:35 pm »
I don't suppose anyone here's got a save file (or save state) for the PS2 SR2006 game with the original Sega Rally cars unlocked they'd like to share? I really want to give the Stratos and the Celica a try, but the unlock requirement (I think you've gotta come 1st in the arcade series, 4,5 and 6 races) seems like just too much of a ballache to do.