Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Does Maximus Arcade not work on Windows 10?  (Read 8208 times)

CXK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2023, 10:37:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Does Maximus Arcade not work on Windows 10?
« on: February 04, 2020, 08:54:32 pm »
Ive got two cabinets running Windows 7 and MA is working great. I have a new build with Windows 10. After I set all of my settings and try to launch MA, it says it can't find MAME executable and I need to set it up. I basically get caught in a loop of verifying the settings and launching with the error. MAME works fine on it's own. It's version .175.

I understand this is a "dead" front end but after spending countless hours trying to set up and use these newer FE's I just keep wanting to go back to MA. I've tried Launchbox, it was such a clusterF*$k and kept pulling every single MAME game on the planet instead of the 8 I need for that cabinet. I tried MGalaxy, it doesn't work with arcade controls (what idiot created that?!) I tried using JoyToKey with it but escape will not quit MAME. This whole thing is insanely frustrating. I'd go back and install Win 7 but the update servers have been turned off. I'm at a real loss here. If there's some trick to make Maximus work on Windows 10, I'd love to hear it!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:57:30 pm by CXK »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Does Maximus Arcade not work on Windows 10?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 04:33:02 am »
I would keep trying new front ends.

MA is dead and buried.

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 04:39:11 am »
To try and help you rule out Windows 10, I started my old config on my current Win10 PC. I adjusted the paths to reflect my current drives and exited Preferences. It started up the frontend fine.

Some lines from my preferences\default.ini:
Code: [Select]
[MAME]
Images=G:\games\mame\snap\
ROMS=G:\games\mame_0163b_64\roms\
Emulator=G:\games\mame_0163b_64\mame64.exe

If I change mame64.exe to mame64.exx, it complains like it should and makes me enter Preferences again. When I change it back, it works, so your problem isn't necessarily with Windows 10.

Good luck with your frontend hunt.

Wzrd0803

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 11:32:38 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 09:12:34 pm »
My Maximus is working on my Windows 10 cabinet.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 06:58:00 am »
I would keep trying new front ends.

MA is dead and buried.

+1 to this. I had MA on my machine early on and found it to be buggy. Since the developer had stopped working on it, I knew they would never be fixed. I switched to GameEx and haven't looked back. It is still being regularly updated and there is a fantastic forum with seasoned folks who will help you get it set up properly. Not to mention how many more features that program has relative to MA.

Turdpeterson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2020, 07:09:33 pm
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 07:01:18 pm »
I still use MA and it has been on a windows 10 machine for over a year now, i have had no issues what so ever with MA