Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Windows XP and Jukeboxes  (Read 1024 times)

Jukeboxmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2021, 06:46:04 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Windows XP and Jukeboxes
« on: February 04, 2020, 06:04:37 am »
Hi all.
This is my first post here and I hope it is relevant and in the right place.
I am not directly involved in mame projects or indeed arcade gaming.  My particular pet is digital MP3 jukeboxes.  For a number of years I have been using and working on projects involving a software package called DWJukebox.  I am posting here because I have come to realise that my hobby has various crossed paths with your passion for arcade machines and Mame.
I use Win XP mainly to run my jukebox software on and use arcade buttons via I-Pac for controls.  At present I am steering my way around software for
lighting effects and am trying to get my head round Blinky and such like.  I use Event Ghost for some other macro style control of the program.  I also use coin mechs for my own amusement (ideal money-box)
I have in the past been using XP ( and occasionally Vista ) 'out of the box' with only a few minor mods such as removing pre-installed software.
What I would be gratefull for now is any info. on how to thin out XP to run it solely for a juke box.  The only programs it needs to run are DWJukebox, Event Ghost and whatever is required for programing of lighting ( Blinky or similar ).  Thes bits of sofware are very light on recource demand and I have run some pretty ancient P.C. hardware without any problem.
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advanced

Jukeboxmike

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 04:00:11 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
Re: Windows XP and Jukeboxes
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 10:10:24 am »
Hi, this thread might be useful to you: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,59373.0.html

I'll be honest though, I'm surprised you're wanting to use WinXP. I'd go with Windows 7 at the very least, it supports much newer processors and hardware. Even for a simple jukebox, unless you're using very old pc parts, I don't really see an advantage to using Windows XP.

Jukeboxmike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2021, 06:46:04 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Windows XP and Jukeboxes
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 04:26:36 am »
Hi and thanks for the link.  I will be looking at that shortly.
The thing about using XP rather than later Win releases is that it is readily available on older hardware.  I have at the moment got 3 complete XP PC's, half a dozen older motherboards and numerous hard drives with XP installed on them.
The sofware (DW Jukebox) is very un-demanding as far as resources go and I have not had a problem to date.
For my day to day computing needs I run a dual boot, Linux Mint/Win10 desktop PC, but when I am working on DW Jukebox modifications etc. I have an old Toshiba laptop running Vista ( no internet access ).  Everything works well.