Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Unusual behaviour with Logitech G27  (Read 2027 times)

Hyperspinner5000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2020, 07:26:19 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Unusual behaviour with Logitech G27
« on: February 02, 2020, 03:47:00 am »
Hi, i am currently experiencing a few issues using a logitech g27 on certain games that MAME emulates. I will start with 'Hard Drivin'. I understand there is a certain technique to making sure the gears work properly and i have followed this to a 'T' (there is a very good youtube video on how to map each what gear to which analogue X and Y inc and dec). However when in game i notice it sometimes wants to bounce into second gear for no reason when it is in neutral. Almost like its default is second instead of neutral. This can sometimes but not always be rectified by putting it in fourth gear and waiting for a bit, but it is so very random i am not sure what i am doing wrong. I have tested the hardware and all seems to be in full working order as expected.

My second issue with this game in particular is when i start it is like the brake is stuck permanantly on. This means you crawl too slow in first and then when switching to second the car stalls out. Now there a re a good few options that MAME offers in regards to fine tuning your setup and in particular the brakes. Reversing the brakes does not seem to make a difference. If this were the case then stamping on the brakes while driving would cure the problem as the opposite effect would be in action. I have also tried many sensitvity settings to see what is wrong but just cant seem to make this work properly as it should. Also sometimes reversing the brakes or not reversing them has the added bonus of all of a sudden making the clutch rev the car when pressed while at the same time acting as the clutch. So it sort of swaps the accellerator for the clutch but only when pressed and the accellerator still works as intended. It is most confusing.

In non MAME related games (project cars, euro truck sim etc etc) and the windows controller tool everything works exactly as it should so i am convinced it is not a hardware or even windows software setup like the logitech profiler. So if this is a MAME issue, what am i doing wrong and how can i set this up correctly?

TLDR:
Can anyone who has a Logitech G27 and MAME, post me their settings (both controller settings and the analogue/sensitivity section) under the MAME tab for Hard Drivin specifically so i can at least copy it to test it on mine and make sure its not a controller fault. Its the only way i will be able to diagnose this problem is if i have a few peoples settings that are already tried and tested and work as there must be something ive missed. 

Hyperspinner5000

• Offline Offline
Re: Unusual behaviour with Logitech G27
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 09:28:24 am »
Hello again. I have just tested this with another G27 and the exact same results as before with Hard Drivin. Always jumps into second gear until you select fourth then acts as normal. And always has the brake engaged making it impossible to play.

So i ask again please help. I need as many folk (though two or three would do) to post up the following for me.

Mame Version
Hard Drivin Version, (i am running the cockpit rev 7 version)
Analogue controls including sensitivity settings.

Please help so i can finally get to the bottom of why these strange occurences are happening.

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:51:56 am
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 01:37:47 pm »

Hyperspinner5000

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 10:57:25 am »
Hi, thanks for the reply. I have seen this video, its how i mapped the controls for the gear stick in particular in the firstplace. Its what inspired me to try Hard Drivin first of all in fact.  Unfortunately the "second gear" issue still remains. And of course the brake permanently on issue is still a factor.

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 05:48:41 pm »
Are your pedals set up as combined or separate?

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 05:50:21 pm »
Also, for the gear issue, can you post a screenshot of how you mapped everything?

Hyperspinner5000

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 07:26:19 am »
Hi, the pedals are set up as seperate currently. I think i did mess around with both combinations with no luck but i will post a screenshot as soon as i am at the machine later on. Hopefully someone can spot an erronous setting that seems to be messing things up or compare theirs to mine and see whats different.