Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Replacing flyback and caps on k7000 chassis  (Read 1433 times)

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Replacing flyback and caps on k7000 chassis
« on: February 02, 2020, 03:06:22 am »
I have a K7000 in my neo geo mvs. Flyback arced out. It was cool. It was scary. It was disappointing.

Everything I own is broken in some fashion. I bought a cap kit, flyback, friend gave me a new solder sucker, then project was on hold. I am finally ready to continue.

Whats your opinion on tools and materials needed to perform this job? Soldering station? Solder? Liquid flux? Cleaner? Anything else? Will grab a junk pcb and practice removing and resoldering components first.

Is either of these a good budget soldering stating station?

X-Tronic Model #3020-XTS Digital Display Soldering Iron Station - 10 Minute Sleep Function, Auto Cool Down, C/F Switch, Ergonomic Soldering Iron, Solder Holder, Brass Tip Cleaner with Cleaning Flux https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DGZFSNE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IFQnEbNJKJ7NN

Yihua 939D+ Professional 75 Watt Digital Soldering Iron Station ESD SAFE °F /°C Switch with Extras - 3 Solder Tips, Lead-Free Solder Wire and Goot Wick https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YSCBZ4F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NCQnEb5YCAG9R

princess prin prin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:56:01 am
  • intrinsically safe
Re: Replacing flyback and caps on k7000 chassis
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 09:42:27 am »
Chassis are not multilayer PCBs with plated through holes etc. A 60W iron and a solder sucker are all you need. if you can't do it with these basic tools, it's because of poor skills.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 09:58:56 am »
Chassis are not multilayer PCBs with plated through holes etc. A 60W iron and a solder sucker are all you need. if you can't do it with these basic tools, it's because of poor skills.

Theres other projects I have planned. I have a ---smurfy--- 60w iron I could use. Trying to set up good environment. If you cant make a proper response, its because of your poor attitude.

DudeRegular

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2024, 10:50:27 pm
  • I have no idea what I am doing
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 04:51:58 pm »
I prefer braid over a sucker if you don't have a fancy desoldering gun.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 02:23:38 pm »
In a pinch, I've soldered with a nail and a propane torch before... you can certainly solder with whatever you got there.

if you must buy a station...but a name brand one... weller, hakko,  etc. ... at least if you need tips or parts, there is no questions if it will fit/work.

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 02:55:12 pm »
I've been using a hakko soldering station with an Aoyue desoldering station for several years.  They are both very good and not super expensive and I've had zero issues with either one.  If you want an all-in-one check out the Aoyue 701A++ dual function solder and desolder station for $185.

MKFan4Life

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 08:18:00 am
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 03:17:59 am »
I prefer braid over a sucker if you don't have a fancy desoldering gun.

I agree. The cheap bulbs work, but clog up often. Braid works better, but takes a bit of time. I finally bought a used pace soldering/desoldering station a few years ago, but sadly have had little time to use it (life and all!).

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 12:27:14 pm »
My concern about using solder wick vs a sucker or desoldering tool is that K7000's traces and solder pads are very delicate.  They will literally disintegrate in front of your eyes.  Whatever you use watch how much heat and how much time you dwell on a pad to remove the solder.  That's the concern with solder wick as people tend to use too much heat for too long (add a little liquid flux to help).  And do not try to just heat the pads and pull the caps out without removing solder as you will tear things up.  I only say this because I've had to re-repair a number of chassis where everything was burned to bits by the last guy.