Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi 4 - Ultrastik 360 v Servostik  (Read 3958 times)

Darug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2020, 09:26:15 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Raspberry Pi 4 - Ultrastik 360 v Servostik
« on: January 28, 2020, 02:43:11 am »
Hi All, I have a very basic control setup that currently has a Raspberry Pi 4 attached extrenally to it. It is a Perspex box, that didn't turn out as well as I though it would, but at least now it's robust (perspex does not glue well). It has  2 (I assume) Sanwa JLF style Joysticks http://www.ozstick.com.au/product/sanwa-jlf-joystick/, which plug into their own separate zero encoder boardshttps://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi-tutorials/arcade-usb-encoder-wiring-guide, with 6 buttons each. AS yet I have yet to set the second stick up properly, as my priority is getting P1 sorted. I have a trackball (USB/PS2) that works with Missile command (though not Centipede & Millipede).
I do have Robotron working using the 2nd joystick to shoot with.

I also have a Serial DB9 Spinner, that hopefully will work, using a serial to USB adapter.

One of my next purchases should be a larger USB powered hub! ;)

At the moment, I am looking at upgrading the P1 joystick to a Ultrastik/Servostik, as I love alll the 4 way games like Donkey Kong series, pacman, naughty boy, gyruss, bagman etc, but then I love Time Pilot.

Then there are games like Western Sherrif/Commando? that used a 'wheel puck', plus a few others that I would like to play.

Pretty much I am trying to work out what is best, as I haven't found any options yet here in Australia, and freight can be humungous. This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_lzq7M3Yqg][url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_lzq7M3Yqg[/url] seems to point towards the servostik. I can probably buy an upgrade kit, and buy the Sanwa locally? 

I am using a Damaso front end, which was easier to setup then RetroPie/Lakka, and easier to customise. EG I have sound , but I am using the 3.5mm instead of one of the HDMI ports.

I have been dabbling with Mame since @ 1995, and at one stage had a LAI upright machine, which did not survive my divorce. :(

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:37:59 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Raspberry Pi 4 - Ultrastik 360 v Servostik
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 04:23:58 am »
Then there are games like Western Sherrif/Commando? that used a 'wheel puck', plus a few others that I would like to play.
There are 6 games that use the "Taito Aim-n-Fire" or a similar controller made by Nintendo.
- Front Line
- The Tin Star
- Wild Western
- Sheriff (Nintendo)
- Bandido (Exidy -- licensed re-release of Sheriff)
- Western Gun Part II (Taito -- licensed re-release of Sheriff)

It works like an 8-way top-fire joystick where the stick is constantly held in the selected direction.
- Eight clicks per rotation = a detent every 45 degrees.

More details about that controller in this thread.

IIRC for the six games mentioned above you can use the 2nd stick in place of the "Taito Aim-n-Fire"-style controller by mapping all four right stick (aim) directions to the P1 Button 1 input (shoot) so the same joystick presses that aim also shoot.

Scott

Darug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2020, 09:26:15 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 03:23:55 am »
There are 6 games that use the "Taito Aim-n-Fire" or a similar controller made by Nintendo.
- Front Line
- The Tin Star
- Wild Western
- Sheriff (Nintendo)
- Bandido (Exidy -- licensed re-release of Sheriff)
- Western Gun Part II (Taito -- licensed re-release of Sheriff)

It works like an 8-way top-fire joystick where the stick is constantly held in the selected direction.
- Eight clicks per rotation = a detent every 45 degrees.

More details about that controller in this thread.

IIRC for the six games mentioned above you can use the 2nd stick in place of the "Taito Aim-n-Fire"-style controller by mapping all four right stick (aim) directions to the P1 Button 1 input (shoot) so the same joystick presses that aim also shoot.

Scott

Thank you, I thought about  setting up the second controller like I did with Robotron. I saw their was a joystick on YT that could do it? I think I will buy a ultrastik/servostik, that can switch between 4 way/8 way. It will cost a bit bringining it to Australia, however no-one here seems to stock/import it.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:37:59 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 07:10:58 am »
If you haven't already done so, you may want to go through the "What type of build meets my needs?" design process in the FAQ.
(Pay special attention to steps 2 and 4.)

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/FAQ#What_type_of_build_meets_my_needs.3F

Nailing down step 2 will help you avoid the dreaded "feature creep"  :scared  and help us give you solid advice on what you actually need for your "can't live without it" game list.

I thought about  setting up the second controller like I did with Robotron. I saw their was a joystick on YT that could do it?
Yes, either of those sticks can be configured to use in place of the Taito Aim-n-Fire -- any 8-way-capable stick will work for that.
- Be sure to configure the servo to 8-way for those games or you won't be able to shoot diagonally.

To be clear, that video talks about the 20+ Mechanical Rotary Joystick games, not the six Taito Aim-n-Fire games or the four Optical Rotary Joystick games.
- The info is outdated since he states that there is a rotary upgrade for the U360, but not for the Servostik.

The Servostik has a "clicky" Mechanical Rotary Joystick upgrade here that adds a mechanical rotary switch like the one on the SNK LS-30 used in Ikari Warriors (discontinued) or the Happ Mechanical Rotary Joystick. (still available)

The LS-30 and Mechanical Rotary sticks:
- Are normal, fully functional 8-way sticks that can return to center with no directional microswitch pressed.
- Have a 12 position rotary switch controlled by twisting the handle.
- Don't have a fifth microswitch (fire button) like the Aim-n-Fire controller.

LS-30 stick demonstration:

Happ Mechanical Rotary Joystick: (Part # 50-5618-00)

The wiki has a list of over 20 mechanical rotary games and MAME settings.
http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/Joysticks#Mechanical_Rotary_Joystick_Games_.28LS-30.2C_Happ_Mechanical_Rotary_Sticks.29

Ultimarc also offers the "non-clicky" U360 Optical Rotary Joystick upgrade here.
- I prefer having the mechanical clicks for more precise control, but YMMV.   :dunno

AFAIK there is currently no Mechanical Rotary upgrade for the U360 or Optical Rotary upgrade for the Servostik.

Scott