Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Build - Recommend Hardware  (Read 854 times)

martin1b

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2020, 03:09:32 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
New Build - Recommend Hardware
« on: January 23, 2020, 10:26:05 pm »
I'm building my first arcade, using a Pi4 and flat panel display. After researching, there are a lot of opinions on joysticks, buttons, and encoder boards. Sounds like it depends on what you play.

I plan on playing fighting games like Street Figher 2, Mortal Kombat and a few others. I'd also like to play the classics, like Galaga, 1942, Pacman, etc. Most of what i play is classics but I want SF2 to be pretty accurate.  I don't know if this is possible but I'd love to have the option (if not too expensive), to plug in a wheel and play some drivers like RoadBlasters, Outrun, and Spyhunter (would need to plug in a pedal too). This part is totally optional though.

Is this possible? What joysticks, buttons and encoders are best for the fighters, but still work well for classics. Is there an encoder board that supports plugging in a steering wheel? Is there a vendor you recommend?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: New Build - Recommend Hardware
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 01:49:41 am »
Regarding the encoder I always recommend Ipacs regardless of what you play.

As for buttons and sticks there is no “best” totally depends on your personal preference.
Just dont buy the cheap kits or you will end up buying and installing twice.

Personally I use either Sanwa, Seimitsu or happ sticks & buttons depending on the application.

As for the wheel, Get a USB one and not a problem just make sure you have a good powered hub for your pi or you will have low voltage probs.

Seob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 01:40:33 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: New Build - Recommend Hardware
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 12:00:50 pm »
I would go for ultimarc servostik joysticks. I’m thinking about upgrading my setup to because if u want to play classic games like pac-man you Need a 4 way joystick. I play with a 8 way and have a lot of cheap deaths in pac-man and burger time because I don’t press the joystick into the right direction.