Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How do I connect 6+ controllers at once to the RPI 3b+?  (Read 2974 times)

Landspyker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2020, 09:02:37 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
How do I connect 6+ controllers at once to the RPI 3b+?
« on: July 23, 2020, 09:43:41 pm »
G'day, was just wondering how I connect more than 4 controllers via usb to the Raspberry pi 3b+? I wanna have 2 sets of joysticks/buttons, 2 snes controllers and 2 gun controllers.

Is there a way I can plug them all in at once via one of those usb things that allows multiple usb inputs with 1 output or would I just have to plug in the controller i wanna use as I play?

I'm interested in adding a trackball and a flight joystick too.

Landspyker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2020, 09:02:37 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: How do I connect 6+ controllers at once to the RPI 3b+?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 09:48:54 pm »
Also thought, would it maybe be possible to add the two traditional arcade controllers to the same usb encoder?

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
Re: How do I connect 6+ controllers at once to the RPI 3b+?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 11:31:19 pm »
You can use a USB hub of course. The problem has to do with making one of each set of controllers attached to player 1, and the other work for player 2. By default linux will see each USB port as 1 player.  In your case for instance, player 1 & 2 might have joysticks and buttons and player 3 and 4 would have the SNES controllers, and I'm guessing the gun controllers would be ignored in most emulators since they don't support more than 4 players. MAME is easy enough to configure to use both joysticks as well as the gamepads, but other emulators aren't configurable in the same way.

Anyway, that said, if your goal is to use joysticks and buttons for MAME and SNES controllers for other systems like NES, SNES, Genesis, etc, you could use this:
https://github.com/meleu/RetroPie-joystick-selection

It allows you to set a default controller for the whole system, and override that selection on a per-emulator basis.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.