Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question about Rapid Fire Solenoid using a 555 timing setup....  (Read 2642 times)

KillerQ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2021, 09:15:18 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Question about Rapid Fire Solenoid using a 555 timing setup....
« on: February 05, 2020, 01:03:19 pm »
Hey all,

I recently modded a lightgun so that when the trigger was pressed, a vibration motor would activate.  It works well, but I'd now like to use a solenoid.  I have an NE555 pulse/signal generator board that i am testing with a smaller solenoid just to get the feel for things and to learn - the board is this one https://www.amazon.com/Anmbest-Frequency-Adjustable-Generator-Rectangular/dp/B07FBZLD3W/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ne555+%27+anmbest&qid=1580925312&sr=8-1

I have adjusted the pots so that i am getting rapid fire action when i press a switch - that is good.

However, I was reading another person's post here who mentioned that they like to use a USB-powered relay board in addition to the NE55 board.  That board is https://www.amazon.com/DZS-Elec-Adjustable-Internal-Conduction/dp/B0721M35KH/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=usb+timing+board+relay&qid=1580925565&sr=8-2  I guess I am confused as to why one would need to use two boards in conjunction with each other.

The only issue i can imagine is if I want to use a 24V solenoid - the NE555 board only supports up to 15V max.  The USB relay supports up to 30V.  So, is that USB relay board somehow being used to help regulate a larger voltage load where the NE is simply acting as a switch for the USB relay board to pass power through?

Here’s a video of what I currently have going.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 02:23:17 pm by KillerQ »

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 06:00:54 pm
  • I am no Jedi
Re: Question about Rapid Fire Solenoid using a 555 timing setup....
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 01:27:38 pm »
I don't know the answer but the relay on the USB will click like a woodpecker pecking in that application.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 02:28:49 pm »
I use a USB powered 555 relay trigger board in conjunction with an Ne555 signal generator. It serves two purposes:

First, it provides a reliable way to trigger the ne555 signal generator. You don't usually get enough power from a light gun's trigger micro-switch alone. You can also use a larger power supply for the signal generator. I use a 9v 1a psu.

Second, it gives you a 3rd pot to control how long the signal generator stays energized. With some careful adjustment, I am able to make it trigger once when I tap the trigger and full auto if I hold it down. This works well for 99% of games, there is no switch needed when you change weapons in Time Crisis 3, for example. Like this:

You don't necessarily need to use a relay trigger board though. You just need a reliable way to trigger the signal generator. Other people use a mosfet or a Pac drive controlled with mame hooker. In your case, you can use the output from the Aimtrak recoil board but with a smaller 5-9v psu.

I also use a DC DC  solid state relay between the signal generator and the solenoid. I recommend that you do the same. I've had great results from ones like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SSR-100-DD-Solid-State-Module-Solid-state-Relay-DC-DC-100A-3-32V-DC-5-60V-DC/312100885769?epid=2245902400&hash=item48aaa99509:g:c1MAAOSwwBNawaBS

I discovered recently that those little signal generators are only good for 30w or less. I managed to melt 3 of them trying to power a 12v solenoid directly. The last time, the ne555 chip literally snapped in two with an unnerving bang. Do not power the solenoid directly, even for short testing....

If you have problems with those little red signal generators, I suggest the larger blue ones I posted links to. The two red ones I started with didn't last long. That doesn't mean yours won't but if you have issues, don't assume it was something you did wrong.

BTW, the Aimtrak solenoid that comes with their kit is not rated (or suitable for) full auto. You need one rated for continuous duty. The Aimtrak one is only for momentary use. Mine lasted one game before melting all the wires and breaking. You can use it for short test runs but keep the voltage less than 24v and keep the duty cycle low.

KillerQ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 02:41:10 pm »
Are all of your solenoids 12v? I only ask because that’s the most a lot of the pulse generator boards can handle. So I’m not sure how you’d power a 24v solenoid (or anything) with it.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 04:30:10 pm »
I use a mix of 12v and 24v solenoids.

Those signal generators do state up to 12v but only at 30w. You should use a solid state relay between the signal generator and the solenoid even if you are using a 12v psu (for the solenoid).

KillerQ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 04:47:01 pm »
Progress!! This is without the additional USB trigger board.

I use a mix of 12v and 24v solenoids.

Those signal generators do state up to 12v but only at 30w. You should use a solid state relay between the signal generator and the solenoid even if you are using a 12v psu (for the solenoid).

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 05:22:03 pm »
You shouldn't need the USB trigger board if you're using the Aimtrak recoil pcb as that has a mosfet switch triggered by a separate recoil signal from the main Aimtrak PCB.

Instead of taking power to trigger the ne555 signal generator from the USB relay board, you would connect that 5v power source to the Aimtrak recoil board instead of the 24v or 36v PSU. I.e. Instead of triggering the solenoid directly with a high voltage psu, you are using it to trigger the ne555 board with a low voltage psu.

Most regular light guns do not have a recoil output signal. You only have the trigger and ground wires which isn't enough to activate a relay (or ne555 board). The USB powered trigger board relay can be activated with just the trigger switch on a Guncon 2 as it has it's own power source. If the Guncon 2 had  a separate recoil signal plus a mosfet switch like the Aimtrak, the USB trigger board would not be needed.

Your circuit should go Aimtrak recoil pcb (with 5v connected) - ne555 signal generator - solid state relay - solenoid.

I checked out your video. It looks like you figured out the ne555 signal generator and did a nice job of setting the frequency and duty cycle just right. Which solenoid is that? It doesn't look like the one that came with my old Aimtrak (which is good as it's not suitable for full auto). Is it a Terminator salvation solenoid or did you track down another continuous duty one?

If it's the Terminator salvation one, you need to order the brass knocker to screw on the end to stop the shaft falling out.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 05:27:47 pm by Zebra »