Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gamestop PowerUp Pro changes.  (Read 4301 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Gamestop PowerUp Pro changes.
« on: January 09, 2020, 01:40:04 am »
So have you guys heard about this?  https://www.gamestop.com/poweruprewards/  Powerup pro is changing to give you a $5 coupon every month as well as a subscription to game informer.  I was amazed that video game magazines still exist to be honest.  The $5 coupon is interesting.... apparently it doesn't roll over and you can't use it on used stuff BUT if you read the fine print that is supposed to change in the spring.  Also I was reading on reddit and while Nintendo and xbox gift cards aren't working you CAN buy playstation cards with them.  So if nothing else one could bulk up their ps store credit... that'd be handy for VR games since a lot seem to be digital only.  Anyway, assuming you don't let the coupons expire that's $60 of coupons for $20 plus a magazine subscription. 

I normally hate these rewards programs but I'm thinking of biting on this one.  What do you guys think of it?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
Re: Gamestop PowerUp Pro changes.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 09:06:46 am »
Eh... it's $20 and Gamestop rarely has good deals so in the long run I don't think I'd use it.  I get that you can spend $20 to get $60 and a subscription to Game Informer but it's not worth the hassle/time to me especially if I need to find something to buy every month for $5.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 09:57:00 am »
Might be fun just to get a game magazine again for $20/year.

Back when they were FuncoLand or Babbages or whatever they gave me a subscription to that thing that probably lasted a decade.  Never paid for it.   :dunno

About once a year, usually in the middle of summer, Gamestop will do a free shipping promotion.  That's when I pick up 99 cent PS4 games for their cases.

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 10:12:28 am »
Gamestop is refusing to let me log in and the password reset emails aren't being sent.

:dunno

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 01:03:51 pm »
Might be fun just to get a game magazine again for $20/year.

That was my thought.  I held onto Nintendo Power far longer than most.... I was in the fun club before the magazine even launched and I held onto my subscription until the original xbox came out (I didn't get a gamecube until a couple years later).  As for the coupons, I'm starting to cool on that idea.  Apparently I've got one in my wallet for downloading their app.... I can't get it to apply to anything, used or new.  If it's in store only that'd be a huge pain in the ass. 

As for your login... did you have a lot of credit on it or something?  I remember having issues with it a month or so back and I can't remember how I fixed it. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 07:47:06 pm »
I was out that way today so I decided to be our Guinea pig.  I talked to the manager and he told me that only the first coupon can't be used on used games/consoles... after that they will work on anything.  Apparently people complained.  He also confirmed that yes, you can just buy game cards with them (Nintendo eshop, xbox live, ect.)  I signed up, using my $5 courtesy credit from xmas along with my $5 credit from this month of pro and got a $10 Nintendo eshop card.  So for $20 I got a magazine subscription and a $10 card... if nothing else I've just broke even.  They have pretty good used game sales in store, but even assuming I don't buy any games and just keep getting e-shop credits, I'll pay $120 a year for $240 credit.  I've never spent more than that much for digital stuff in a year so 50% off all my digital purchases is a damn good discount imho. 

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 09:12:32 pm »
Good to know, thanks for the followup.

fallacy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 10:28:08 pm »
Gamestop is going out of business… like they probably won't be around by this time next year.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 12:32:20 am »
Which is exactly why I'm trying to throw a little money their way.  Currently Walmart has the best deals on games but I guarantee you that the $10 off of any new game is going to go away the instant Gamestop goes under.  Even though I'm not a huge fan of gamestop they are nice to have around... options are good as is competition. 

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 12:38:25 am »
Gamestop is going out of business… like they probably won't be around by this time next year.

I got $5 that says they will be.

:lol

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 12:41:52 am »
To be fair they are bleeding money like nobody's business.  They don't seem to be closing stores though.... that's the beginning of the end. 

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 01:01:55 am »
$8B in revenue. They'll live.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 09:23:49 am »
Looking at their financials they've had positive cash flows for the past few years. That's a positive sign.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 09:55:25 pm »
OK they are not going to live, just like BlockBuster there business model no longer works, it is only a matter of time.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 10:51:14 pm »
Man if you don't want to sign up for the pro rewards that's cool, it might not be for you... but like I said if you buy digital currency for any of the consoles you are essentially getting it %50 off.  Even if it's as you say and they aren't around next year (unlikely) what does that have to do with signing up for THIS year?

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2020, 12:30:16 pm »
OK they are not going to live, just like BlockBuster there business model no longer works, it is only a matter of time.

If they diversify their business they could stick around. I've noticed my local EB Games has started dedicating a lot more shelf space to other merchandise (toys, board games, etc).