Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cocktail lid/screen lift query - Piano hinge on runners? Sliding hinge?  (Read 5540 times)

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
Hi,

Planning to make a modern cocktail with a lift up screen/top that will stay at an angle. Had been thinking of just a piano hinge with a stay to prop it up.

However realise of like to be able to slide the bottom of the screen backwards when propped up e.g like it's on a runner. The end result would be a screen that can be propped from horizontal to about 60 degrees and then slid back away from the viewer so it sits further away...

I'm sure there is a sliding hinge or similar that might do this, or even a runner system that could be used with a gas strut but not sure of best approach?

Suggestions welcome...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 12:16:19 pm by Silver »

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
Re: Cocktail lid/screen lift query - Piano hinge on runners? Sliding hinge?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 02:52:16 pm »
They say a picture speaks 1000 words... Found this mock up on a old thread here where someone made an animated version of what I 2as trying to describe in terms of 'sliding back' here:

https://youtu.be/_mcAnIhx8FY

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:55:00 pm by Silver »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 05:48:57 am »
 :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 01:01:41 pm by jennifer »

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 08:49:11 am »
Yes I have come to a similar conclusion about optimum design - but my reality is the only cab I can build and use in my house is one that doubles as table.... So cocktail it is.

I am reluctantly probably going to opt for an LCD over a CRT, mainly to enable the lifting to be easier and avoid deguassing requirements etc. (I'm aware of the trade off here - I also own an XM29 for use in a future life/house)

I'm considering a (properly 1:1) square monitor to essentially open up all control panels for specific controls instead of horizontal Vs vertical, but that may not work size wise.

One thing I've decided on is I need to be able to raise it - I can't do the neck angle of cocktails easily.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 11:44:02 am »
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 01:01:54 pm by jennifer »

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 11:48:13 am »
Thanks I'll check it out - based on other projects I suspect OND's workmanship is a cut above anything I can currently produce....

In the meantime, if anyone has any insight into the type/name of hinge that would allow the lift and slide motion I would be grateful ...

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 12:17:10 pm »
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 01:02:08 pm by jennifer »

arfink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:55:57 pm
  • Narf!
Having a CRT that moves frequently is probably a poor idea, so if you want to be able to do a Transformers design like this I would definitely stick to an LCD. Even candy cabs with easy-to-rotate CRT monitors would not be very fun to have to adjust all the time if you tilted the monitor around almost every time you wanted to play.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
Yes absolutely - I’m going for LCD so I can raise it and have a reasonable size. I’ve got a quality 27” CRT stashed away for when I get room/space/time/life to build something bigger and upright.

I’ve got a cocktail kit frame mostly built - much smaller than I realised. Trackballs etc unlikely to squeeze on so probably keep it simple with joystick and spinner.

It’s not designed to angle up so will figure out best approach...