Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Android  (Read 4879 times)

daywane

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:27:54 pm
  • GRRRR!
Re: Android
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2020, 03:16:26 pm »
i like fx file explorer
the shield has bluetooth and 2 full usb ports . usb hubs help
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 03:18:50 pm by daywane »

dgame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 06:00:54 pm
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2020, 11:28:36 am »
Does anyone have a link to instructions [that actually work] for compiling the latest MAME for Android?

Do any of those MAMEs in the Play Store use an up-to-date MAME version? Thanks

The one in the play store is an old version of Mame (unless there has been some very recent updates). Nobody is prioritizing keeping Android mame up to date. If you're just using it on your phone this shouldn't be much of an issue though.

A lot of people are still using old versions of Mame even on a Windows PC because it's a hassle finding new rom sets for the latest releases. I'm still using .197 so I'm 20 versions behind. I only "upgrade" when a new game I like becomes playable which hasn't happened in years.

As for instructions for Android mame, there are tons of YouTube videos. Watch one. It's basically the same as using it on Windows. Download the app. Connect your android device to your PC. Then drag and drop all your roms into the folder called roms.

I recommend buying a micro USB to USB adapter (or USB C to USB) if your android device doesn't have regular USB ports. Then you can use regular PC game pads which makes set-up easier.

If you are using an Nvidia Shield, download a file manager as putting roms in the mame rom folder is a pain in the ass without one.

Thanks for the response. I am familiar with both versions of MAME4droid in the Play Store.

I finally got a "flagship" Android device and wanted to see if it could handle up to date MAME.  MAME4droid 139u1 is the latest in the Play Store, so I use that one.

My favorite part of MAME on Android is playing Touch Master 7000 (tm7k) with the touch screen.

My old Android device would have some slow-downs in tm7k.  I just set this up again and it works a lot better on my new Android hardware.

I use a USB OTG adapter with a USB Flash Drive to transfer files to Android Devices.

:cheers:

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2020, 05:54:36 pm »
Touch master is my favorite too. I use it on a fire 8 and it plays fine.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2020, 09:47:19 pm »
Hm.  I’ve got some touchscreen Bartop collecting dust.  Apparently I need to shove mame into it.