Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Looks like A1U is getting into the Virtual Pinball 3/4 scale machine (Star Wars)  (Read 4395 times)

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjHwZM8xmKY&feature=youtu.be

Looks like A1U plans to release their version of the 3/4 scale Pinball machine at CES with a Star Wars licensed machine.

Looks like they changed the video to Private !
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 12:27:27 pm by JDFan »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
i dunno man, Arcade1up can't seem to grasp a control panel... with their seemingly constant QC issues... i couldn't fathom them attempting a pinball that won't be an absolute train wreck.

i couldn't imagine even a half decent pinball (even at 3/4 size) costing less than 2000 with all the mechanical shindiggery that needs going on... which is going to price it out of the walmart type purchasers they aim towards. by the time the scrounge it down to sub 600, there'd be nothing left but a couple flippers a half dozen targets and maybe a pop bumper.

if they where smart, they'd consider a VP table.

negative1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
i dunno man, Arcade1up can't seem to grasp a control panel... with their seemingly constant QC issues... i couldn't fathom them attempting a pinball that won't be an absolute train wreck.

i couldn't imagine even a half decent pinball (even at 3/4 size) costing less than 2000 with all the mechanical shindiggery that needs going on... which is going to price it out of the walmart type purchasers they aim towards. by the time the scrounge it down to sub 600, there'd be nothing left but a couple flippers a half dozen targets and maybe a pop bumper.

what are you talking about, it is a virtual pinball table.
zen studios, etc.

later

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm

Seems like folks are happy with Star Wars. Haven’t heard too many complaints about the yoke. Turtles seems to be doing well too.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Well they are doing well for the demographic that buys them... namely muggles who don't know any better.  I would love to see someone that owns a star wars cab review one of these things so I could get a reasonable comparison. Better yet I wish they'd get them in my local Walmart so I can try one.  As for pinball, it's got to be a sub-par experience because it takes some decent horsepower to simulate pinball properly and those SOC's that A1up uses just ain't gonna cut it. 

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
As for pinball, it's got to be a sub-par experience because it takes some decent horsepower to simulate pinball properly and those SOC's that A1up uses just ain't gonna cut it.

I think it's a sub-par experience because vpinball is already a sub-par pinball experience. We'll have to see what they price it at and how they do with it at that price point. I'm out because I don't want a pinball machine of any kind.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
Well the thing about pinball simulators is you've got to remember they are simulators in the way goat simulator is a simulator (ie not one at all).  It's a totally different but equally fun experience.  Some of the re-creations are starting to get close though.  I saw one pimped out vpin cabinet that uses a Kinect to track your eyes and body to change the angle of the table as you move, so it has a perspective shift like it would on a real pin.  Pretty frikkin awesome. 

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes

what are you talking about, it is a virtual pinball table.
zen studios, etc.

later

I didn't get to see the video before it went private. I spoke mainly of assumptions.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
Not sure you actually want to see it or not, but here it is:

I have no interest in this, nor do I have the space. Who knows though - I may get one if I like it.  ;D

negative1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
Well they are doing well for the demographic that buys them... namely muggles who don't know any better.  I would love to see someone that owns a star wars cab review one of these things so I could get a reasonable comparison. Better yet I wish they'd get them in my local Walmart so I can try one.  As for pinball, it's got to be a sub-par experience because it takes some decent horsepower to simulate pinball properly and those SOC's that A1up uses just ain't gonna cut it.

trying it for yourself would be the best.

but people have compared it to the arcade.

for the price, its decent, but if you have an alan-1 yoke, of course, thats the best.
(but overkill)

later

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjHwZM8xmKY&feature=youtu.be

Looks like A1U plans to release their version of the 3/4 scale Pinball machine at CES with a Star Wars licensed machine.

Looks like they changed the video to Private !

The video is back up again.

This machine is 8 inches taller than the Toy Shock machine. Also has more commercial-looking legs with levelers. Be interesting to see what the cabinet build quality is like compared to the Toy Shock machine.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 12:23:34 pm by Ken Layton »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
I'm glad I never built a virtual pinball. There is no arguing that a self built unit would have a ton more features, but since virtual pinball is a post-golden-era thing, I'd be fine with a commercial product and can't justify the 2-4x cost difference.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
If you build it yourself you can still come off pretty cheap.  I think if you are thrifty and can get some of the stuff cheap or for free (as in used tvs) you could probably build one for around 1000, maybe a little less, and just for the fact that it'd be full sized it'd already be worlds better than the commercial units. 

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
If you build it yourself you can still come off pretty cheap.  I think if you are thrifty and can get some of the stuff cheap or for free (as in used tvs) you could probably build one for around 1000, maybe a little less, and just for the fact that it'd be full sized it'd already be worlds better than the commercial units.

The size of a full size virtual pinball is a turn off. Hell, the size of a real pinball is a turn off to me. Smaller scale is more reasonable. I liked the unit Malenko put together. I don't think $1,000 is impossible, but I think it would be really difficult.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
A core 2 duo machine can run most vpinball stuff just fine.  Those are around 50 bucks.  Add maybe another 50 for a decent video card.  Your backglass and dmd screens should be virtually free... most of us have smallish monitors lying around that would do the job.  So you've got to buy/find a 46 inch tv, get about $200 in wood, some pinball legs, a handful of buttons and some paint.  Table glass and a coin door would be nice, but that might blow the budget. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
Just to add.. if you want it small, hell you can make one for virtually no money.  The biggest expenses come from the wood and the monitor and all the official pinball hardware.  Get yourself two monitors off of fleabay for a few bucks, a cheap pc and you are golden.