Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dedicated Defender 1up  (Read 5410 times)

Rjack1219

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2020, 06:26:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Dedicated Defender 1up
« on: December 30, 2019, 11:22:32 pm »
Anyone have (and can make) the Rampage 1up into a Defender layout that’s similar to the original? Main reason I got it was for Defender. And the configuration sucks. Would like to see Defender layout on the left and another joystick and button for Joust and Gauntlet on the right for player 2.

THe game should have been Defender, Joust, Robotron 2080 and Moon Patrol. Or Sinistar. TotallyWilliams.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
Re: Dedicated Defender 1up
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 01:07:13 am »
Really, I think it should have been Defender and Stargate - that's it.

The multi-williams control panel suggest it'll play everything on the 19-n-1 board:

But that reverse button is too far away for me. I'd suggest a more drastic mod:

That's just my opinion though. I've built 3 different Defender cabinets before i settled on my latest one. forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158517. In a way you're lucky, there are some great and easy methods to play Defender with the A1ups. Just need the money and time.

Good luck!

Rjack1219

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 03:47:31 pm »
I am liking this board and setup. This would keep the same games on the a1u except Rampage down to 2 player but change configuration? Anyone near Kenosha WI can do this for me?

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 09:31:21 pm »
I am liking this board and setup. This would keep the same games on the a1u except Rampage down to 2 player but change configuration? Anyone near Kenosha WI can do this for me?

There are some dealers who specialize in this stuff and who focus on Arcade1up (like the one I put in my message). This site is usually for people who build their own cabinets.

I'd suggest giving it a shot. You might be surprised at what you can do and the crowd here can be encouraging and will help answer any questions you may have.

Rjack1219

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 07:23:36 pm »
You are correct. That site also has videos on how to replace buttons. It was simple plug n play. I thought I would need to do some soldering. I decided to get the regular Defender board, another Rampage and convert it to a dedicated Defender cabinet. Thanks for your advice

Rjack1219

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 07:27:08 pm »
With what I am going to use, I will have a couple of joysticks and a couple of buttons that I will not need. If I unplug them and set aside (for extras) will the game still function properly?

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 07:58:26 pm »
With what I am going to use, I will have a couple of joysticks and a couple of buttons that I will not need. If I unplug them and set aside (for extras) will the game still function properly?

Maybe

If the encoder is a gamepad encoder (think zero delay encoder), they may not like being unplugged and replugged. They could be identified in different order.
If the encoder is a keyboard encoder and the joystick is extended from that, that seems to be more successful

You're right to spend time on the software side of things. It can be the most time consuming. At some point, I'd suggest trying it to see if it works the way you expect.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 09:45:53 pm »

Yes - just make sure you keep the joystick/buttons that they used in their layout and reuse them with the correct connection points on the encoder board - If the defender game ( or other game you still plan to incorporate ) does not use it you will not need it hooked up ( other than the player select etc. that are used in the main menu - since you will still need to select the game from the menu if you exit.)

Rjack1219

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 10:59:27 pm »

Yes - just make sure you keep the joystick/buttons that they used in their layout and reuse them with the correct connection points on the encoder board - If the defender game ( or other game you still plan to incorporate ) does not use it you will not need it hooked up ( other than the player select etc. that are used in the main menu - since you will still need to select the game from the menu if you exit.)

That’s just the answer I needed. I’m going to label things as I go. And take my time. Seems like a simple swap of hardware. All the buttons I need are to be used. Gotta make sure I take pics and post them. Thanks for your advice. 8) 8)

Rjack1219

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 06:36:11 pm »
Worked like a charm! Drilled holes in panel for speaker as no holes in the panel I bought. I am awaiting the Defender skin for the cabinet.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 09:52:58 pm »
Much better layout than the original Rampage CP was using !!

Rjack1219

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 10:13:37 pm »
Here is he cabinet with the skin. I am juiced. I am loving the way it looks and plays. I am totally thankful I found this forum and got the advice you guys have given me, especially to LeapinLew and JD Fan. You guys are the best. THANKS AGAIN!!!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 10:15:16 pm by Rjack1219 »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 10:38:31 pm »
Very cool - good use of the original artwork.

How does the sound come out?

Rjack1219

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 11:13:02 pm »
Very cool - good use of the original artwork.

How does the sound come out?

I drilled holes on left side of the J panel and used command strips to attach. Not as loud as original but it works. Tip: drill from front of panel or destroy the laminate.