Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: tempest spinners  (Read 2915 times)

throughascanner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2019, 10:17:25 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
tempest spinners
« on: December 28, 2019, 10:06:39 am »
I grew up playing tempest ALL THE TIME when I was a kid. I found one of those 1up arcades with tempest at WallMart and bought it, assembled it, and was terribly disappointed with the spinner. That spinner that comes with the 1up arcade is unplayable. Next I found this from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P5WJ7BC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It is a vast improvement. However it still does not work like the old analog spinner did. I know this sounds crazy but I spent years playing tempest, and I am wondering if it is even possible to reproduce the quality of the spinner. IMHO the spinner is EVERYTHING when it comes to playing tempest. This new spinner has 1024 positions and samples at 8ms. The issue I find is the tempest "claw" only jumps from lane to lane and has no inbetween states. In the old arcade game I remember being able to move the "claw" left and right, and it would lean one way or the other before jumping from one lane/cell to the next. This accuracy is important to me. The spinner from amazon only lets the claw jump from one lane to the other. Sometimes there is one position per cell/lane and sometimes there are two positions per cell/lane. This behavior is confusing and makes game play much more difficult that it should be. There is also some sampling issues with the spinner in that sometimes it just moves on its own. Does anyone know if it is possible to create a templest reproduction where the spinner has the original proper resolution? I am having fun playing the game anyway with the upgrade, but if there is a better solution I would like to try it. The spinner from GGG seems another option, but I can't find the guy. He won't e-mail back and there is no phone number or anything. How can I contact GGG? Does anyone know if the GGG spinner is any better?

negative1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
Re: tempest spinners
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 11:36:08 pm »
the main problem is not the replacment spinner.

it's the software and the emulation.

the arcade 1up emulation is based on an early version of MAME,
unless you go in there specifically and adjust the analog settings,
no spinner is going to work correctly.
(there is a USB mod that allows access to it).

best bet, use an alternate emulator, adjust the settings to proper number,
and then play the game.

settings:
Game   Effective_Tooth_Count   Counts_Per_Revolution   
Tempest                  72                                  72

video:

=================================
by the way, the leaning in the lane makes absolutely no difference in playing the game,
its purely for looks.

also, if you get better, and can get past the red, yellow, and into the blue levels, you
never need to spin quickly, you are only move left and right very slowly from lane to lane,
so the spinner speed is irrelevant.

later
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 11:40:24 pm by negative1 »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 07:06:13 am »
Yeah as -1 said above the problem lies in the emulation.

You would be better off putti g a PC in it and connecting the spinner to that then you can input the proper turn count resolution for mame.

pumaconcolor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2020, 07:06:27 am
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 06:01:22 pm »
If you look at the GGG main page you'll see the owner is taking a break from new orders until January 9, so that's probably why he's not responding.