Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Link play on San Francisco Rush & all vegas/seattle games  (Read 40864 times)

jorgenjl2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 07:10:47 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Link play on San Francisco Rush & all vegas/seattle games
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2022, 08:21:52 am »
Does anyone know if there is a Mame forum where they discuss working on things like this? I would be willing to pay a Mame developer to work on it.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2023, 03:50:06 pm »
For those who have this working, does your network settings (Control panel > Network and internet > advanced settings >  Network connections >) for the two TAP connections (and therefore bridge connections) red x’s this? My daughter clicked something when I was messing with it and I can’t remember.

I get an unspecified error when bridging and tried reinstalling the TAP adapter so not sure if this is normal. I am revisiting running two Rush’s on one pc using Nucleus Co-op (with xoutput or w360ce) which should in the theory allow me to play this on one pc with two monitors with two g29 wheels and solve the Mame input issue.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2023, 12:01:00 pm »
I removed the tap adapters using the bat file and started over and it’s working fine.

I forget if anyone tried this already but I tried using the Nvidia control panel and setting 640x480 57Hz custom resolution to see if maybe that would help but it still got a disconnect across PCs. Last I tried it one pc was working perfect but needs extra complicated setup to get 2 wheels etc.

There are a bunch of Mame vsync type settings and I tried a couple with no luck. Since California Speed is the same resolution and refresh rate according to the ADB database and network works fine, I am guessing it will unfortunately require a developer to fix the network code. I will put money down for anyone who wants to work on it. I tried messaging SailorSat to see interest but no response yet.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:49:05 am
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2023, 09:25:59 am »
With each new version of MAME I go running to check if there was a correction in the Rush link but it's always the same. California Speed in MAME 0.258 didn't work the FFB for me, I went back to version 0.257 and realized that the link disconnects (before I didn't test enough).

SailorSat, Nuexzz, can you guys fix this fault in the Rush and California Speed link, please?

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2023, 10:01:56 pm »
With each new version of MAME I go running to check if there was a correction in the Rush link but it's always the same. California Speed in MAME 0.258 didn't work the FFB for me, I went back to version 0.257 and realized that the link disconnects (before I didn't test enough).

SailorSat, Nuexzz, can you guys fix this fault in the Rush and California Speed link, please?
Ahh I didn’t realize California Speed disconnected in link mode. I wonder if they (Rush and Cali Soeed) have the same issue then. I am really hoping SailorSat or Nuexzz can get it to work since it is so close to working.

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:52:53 am
    • For Amusement Only e.V.
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2023, 08:33:34 am »
Ahh I didn’t realize California Speed disconnected in link mode. I wonder if they (Rush and Cali Soeed) have the same issue then. I am really hoping SailorSat or Nuexzz can get it to work since it is so close to working.
It certainly does not disconnect for me - However, I'm running 8 identical machines so they probably run at the same speed for 99,99%.
I do all that stuff even without a Joystick ;)
Soft-15kHz, cabMAME, For Amusement Only e.V.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2023, 08:55:43 am »
SailorSat, Rush The Rock won't disconnect for you?

In Rush 2049, can you correct those oscillations in your opponent's cars?

I don't know what happened that day but I played California Speed again for hours and it didn't disconnect. SF Rush keeps disconnecting, but now a little less after I started using better quality ethernet cables.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2023, 10:26:51 pm »
It certainly does not disconnect for me - However, I'm running 8 identical machines so they probably run at the same speed for 99,99%.
Are you up to make some “donations” for working on getting Rush the Rock (or Crusn USA if that game appeals to you more) to work in link mode? I and many others are dying to get Rush working for 2p or 4p. It seems so close.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2023, 11:34:36 am »
I am also willing to contribute with donations.

If anyone is having disconnection problems in Rush 2049, I suggest you try the MAME 0249 version (similar number, right?) as it doesn't disconnect for me in that version. The same does not happen in Rush The Rock. My PC1 is a Ryzen 5 5600x with 32 GB ram and my PC2 is a 6th generation Core i5 with 16 GB ram. In the latest versions of MAME Rush 2049 it always disconnects for me.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2023, 08:26:01 pm »
I am also willing to contribute with donations.

If anyone is having disconnection problems in Rush 2049, I suggest you try the MAME 0249 version (similar number, right?) as it doesn't disconnect for me in that version. The same does not happen in Rush The Rock. My PC1 is a Ryzen 5 5600x with 32 GB ram and my PC2 is a 6th generation Core i5 with 16 GB ram. In the latest versions of MAME Rush 2049 it always disconnects for me.

Oh wow I need to try that version then! It never disconnects at all on Mame .249 or almost never? That is weird that it would have regressed since then on newer Mame versions but hopefully gives clues as to what is going on for Mame devs.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2023, 08:50:35 am »
I tested it dozens of times and it only disconnected once, but in recent versions it always disconnects. In MAME 0249 the oscillations of the opposing cars are much smaller as well. Did you take the test? Does the same happen for you?

xbrunox

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:45:26 pm
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2023, 04:01:02 pm »
Hi All
someone Know if in windows7 there is a way for enable or disable a network bridge like this from command line?

thanks

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2023, 06:33:12 pm »
I was always curious to know if it was possible to link an original arcade game with an emulator, but I was too embarrassed to ask here on the forum for fear of talking nonsense. So I had the opportunity to purchase an original SFRush arcade, I tested it and to my surprise it worked. However, there are some problems that we already know about. In the video I use a Ryzen 5 5600x 32GB Ram, it doesn't disconnect but it shows instability in the cars. I also tested with a 6th generation Core i5 with 16GB Ram, it always disconnects, whether linked only with Ryzen, only with Arcade or all together. There are interesting details to note in the video, such as the loading time from one screen to another. There are also some repairs to be made to this arcade, such as getting the FFB to work, adjusting the screen geometry, etc. I tried updating to The Rock version following the steps in a YouTube video but it didn't work for me. The game had buggy sound and only had the first four racing tracks. Then I'll make a video and open a topic to see if anyone can help me with this update.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2023, 09:28:26 am »
Hi All
someone Know if in windows7 there is a way for enable or disable a network bridge like this from command line?

thanks

As far as I know, one of the steps was not built into Windows 7 or 10. If I recall, i want to say the bridging can be automated with netsh or powershell but I think it was right clicking the properties and clicking the checkbox is not possible out of the box. I think we can get a autohotkey to work if we tell it to mimic mouse clicks or possibly look into using something like SikuliX which is an automation tool that uses image recognition. Since California Speed works 100% and hopefully Rush works (100%) soon, it is probably something we all want to get automated. This assumes the vpn itself has no workaround.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2023, 09:34:05 am »
I was always curious to know if it was possible to link an original arcade game with an emulator, but I was too embarrassed to ask here on the forum for fear of talking nonsense. So I had the opportunity to purchase an original SFRush arcade, I tested it and to my surprise it worked. However, there are some problems that we already know about. In the video I use a Ryzen 5 5600x 32GB Ram, it doesn't disconnect but it shows instability in the cars. I also tested with a 6th generation Core i5 with 16GB Ram, it always disconnects, whether linked only with Ryzen, only with Arcade or all together. There are interesting details to note in the video, such as the loading time from one screen to another. There are also some repairs to be made to this arcade, such as getting the FFB to work, adjusting the screen geometry, etc. I tried updating to The Rock version following the steps in a YouTube video but it didn't work for me. The game had buggy sound and only had the first four racing tracks. Then I'll make a video and open a topic to see if anyone can help me with this update.

Oh wow! This is really great info to get to a solution to get these to work. I didn’t realize you could do this. Are you using a router/switch or directly connected network cable/crossover cable? Did you have to change ips or anything? What version of Mame and what are your vsync/throttle/frame skip settings? Before changing any of those, can you test Mame 0.249? Although I wonder if the improvements seen only apply to Rush 2049 for that version.

That is interesting that the cars oscillate like that. I don’t recall any oscillations/bouncing of the cars at all in my 1 pc 2 player testing and I don’t recall much on the 2 pc play through but the 2 pc version but I did not test long.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2023, 08:30:27 pm »
The procedure is the same for connecting two PCs. The ethernet cable from the arcade goes directly to the modem as if it were a PC, I'm sorry, I thought there was no need to show it. I'm using MAME 0.257 and the settings are:

Video Options :
Video Mode        bgfx
N.O.S.            1
Triple Buffering  ON
HLSL              OFF
GLSL              OFF
Bilinear Filt.    ON
Bitmap P.         1
Window Mode       OFF
E.A.R.            OFF
S.O.M.            ON
Sync. Refresh     ON
Wait Vert. Sync   ON

Advanced Options:
Auto frame skip:  OFF
Frame skip        0
Throttle          ON
Mute w.u.         OFF
Sleep             OFF
Speed             1
Adjust speed      ON
Low latency       ON

NOTE: I'm not sure if I'm using the best settings.

As for MAME 0.249, I wasn't interested in testing it, as with two PCs I noticed an improvement only with Rush 2049, but I'll test it with Arcade too (good idea). I never linked using just one PC, as I read that the settings for two steering wheels are very complicated and the screens are not full but windowed.

EDIT:
With an overclock on my i5 I was able to play the three tracks completely with 3 players without disconnection, using MAME 0.257. I need time to do extended testing, but it's been great and a lot of fun. I didn't have time to update to version 0.259, although it's quick, it's common to come across unpleasant configuration changes that need to be resolved immediately. MAME 0.249 definitely has no improvements for SFRush, but as I said previously it was the best version I found to play Rush 2049 linked, although I haven't tested all versions of MAME. I can't wait to update this arcade to The Rock version. I discovered that in addition to updating the HD I also need to update the chips with the correct eproms.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 08:47:22 pm by Super-Becker »

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2023, 08:05:12 am »
So with no overclock the i5 pc would always disconnect but with the overclock it ran to completion for all three tracks? That is one real arcade, one 6th gen i5 pc Mame racer, and one ryzen 5600x pc racer on Mame .257? Definitely let us know how further testing goes!

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2023, 01:40:11 am »
I played for longer and the i5 even with over clock disconnects, but much less. So I really need a better processor. But what I found interesting is that, even though we're not in the race, the linked arcade helps the PCs not disconnect. For example, without the arcade I needed to select the tracks and cars at the same time on both PCs. If there was waiting for one another, the players would start in independent races, even without opposing cars. With the linked arcade (even without being used for the race) I don't need to choose track and car at the same time on PCs, that is, even if one player chooses quickly, he can wait for the other to choose calmly and the race will start correctly. The oscillations between the cars were considerably smaller than when the arcade is in the race, which I found very strange since the arcade helps not to disconnect (in other words, it helps with synchronization, I believe).

Another curiosity is that with Bigtymer781's MAME 60fps it was the arcade that disconnected, but as it was a quick test it doesn't count as a rule.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2023, 05:26:13 pm »
Thanks for the update. Hopefully this helps get us closer to it working.

Does anyone know if the race leader light for Rush comes on in a 2+ player race when he racer is in the lead even when not in 1st place overall or do you have to be in 1st overall. I have made some custom race leader code that can be applied to any game with a simple lua script so I may update it to Rush if you have to be in 1st overall. That way when this is linkable whoever is leading will have the race leader light.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2023, 10:34:19 pm »
To answer my question, the race leader light only comes on when in 1st place overall. I may add it as an option so that it shows when you are ahead of other linked racers and not necessarily in 1st place overall if that is common.

As far as the Tap vpn adapter goes, I understand a little more about it now. This video here https://youtu.be/iAOk71M-oVs?si=d8CEPATMu_3rVi43 discussed that unlike newer games that communicate over ip address, Rush doesn’t have an ip address and instead just sends all traffic to all other Rush cabs simultaneously. So for that we need the Tap vpn to broadcast all (layer 2 osi model to get technical). He uses an old school hub/repeater that works at the layer 1 osi model (his exact one is a CentreCOM MR820TR). I wonder if using one of those would change anything instead of going over the tap vpn adapter especially if invoking at least one physical Rush machine and one Mame emulation pc. Did you say you are using a cat cable directly plugged from the pc directly to the Rush cab and not router currently? Also, he mentioned it looked like the MAC address was the same for both cabs. If this is true, we may need to check our Mame config file for Rush to make sure the same Mac is listed for each pc. I forget if that was the case already.

CentreCOM™ MR820TR
IEEE 802.3 10BASE-T / 10BASE2 / AUI
MULTIPORT MICRO HUB/REPEATER

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2023, 09:20:39 am »
jorgenjl2, I watched the video you mentioned and I didn't understand anything. From my layman's point of view, something needs to be corrected in the game's emulation and not in the linking process, considering that California Speed works perfectly. As for linking with arcade and PC, both are connected via an ethernet modem and not directly PC to the arcade. I managed to get the FFB to work in the arcade and I'm waiting for an eprom chip kit to arrive to update to The Rock version to make a new video with three players. Feel free to suggest something specific that you would like to be shown in the video. From my last post I was able to observe other interesting facts:
1) Twice there were buggy pixelated graphics in the arcade to the point where it was impossible to continue the game, requiring a restart. This problem may be related to a very old IDE HD but only occurred in link mode.
2) Sometimes disconnections on the part of the arcade (restarts alone).

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2023, 04:30:32 pm »
He is just using an old school repeater to show the network packets each Rush is sending and also setting it up so you can play Rush over a vpn remotely (by hooking a raspberry pi to each and then using wireless to connect to the vpn). You are probably right that the emulation for Rush may need to be fixed slightly but I am not sure if someone had an old school layer 1 hub that mimics the arcade to test or not. If California Speed works the exact same way as Rush then yes we probably need a Mame developer to fix it. Where is SailorSat when you need her  8)

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 03:12:48 pm
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2024, 05:40:41 pm »
Hello,
         Been awhile since I had anything new to post here but thought I would share.. Broke down and built a new PC last week, Intel i5 13600, RTX 4060, fast m.2 ssd, Asus Tuf Gaming Wifi MB, 32gb Ram. Got Windows 11 Pro setup and fully updated then got a fully updated Mame .261 set, of which I have installed a total of 3 games of.  Rush 2049 Special Edition was one of them, got it all working pretty well using an Xbox controller. I decided it was time for my son and I to give Linked racing a shot again. the 2nd PC is a AMD 3900x, with a 1080Ti video card, Windows 11 Pro and it has my Thrustmaster TMX Wheel attached. I followed the instructions about how to set Rush games up on a Lan with 2 separate machines with the exception of I got the latest tap drivers, tap-windows-9.24.7-I601-Win10. My son and I just finished playing for a good 20 minutes or so, playing like 5 different tracks and things worked perfectly, like exactly how you would hope they would. Wanted to share, mostly because I am so excited I can hardly stand it. While this is of course not a super long test, previously we had never been able to finish 3 races without things crashing, and that was the record, it was normally much less. I was even using force feedback with the wheel, working well, as long as you do not have the game setup for Freeplay, I have NO CLUE why that makes a difference, but for me, I have to have the driving cab setup where you add coins manually and then play or the Force Feedback stuff goes crazy in game.

Quick shout out to the guys who posted the instructions many years ago, they have held up well!!

- Zeosstud

Bigtymer781

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 12:21:40 pm
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2024, 12:19:08 pm »
Nice!

A theory that I had about the crashing/desyncing was that maybe it was caused by the emulation speed dropping below 100% (even for a second) on either game. With two powerful PC's maybe it would work fine.

I had no one to test it with offline, but it's nice to see it working for you.

There's this program called Parsec, it might be possible to play Rush over the internet with someone. I'd love to try it sometime.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2024, 10:53:35 pm »
Hello,
         Been awhile since I had anything new to post here but thought I would share.. Broke down and built a new PC last week, Intel i5 13600, RTX 4060, fast m.2 ssd, Asus Tuf Gaming Wifi MB, 32gb Ram. Got Windows 11 Pro setup and fully updated then got a fully updated Mame .261 set, of which I have installed a total of 3 games of.  Rush 2049 Special Edition was one of them, got it all working pretty well using an Xbox controller. I decided it was time for my son and I to give Linked racing a shot again. the 2nd PC is a AMD 3900x, with a 1080Ti video card, Windows 11 Pro and it has my Thrustmaster TMX Wheel attached. I followed the instructions about how to set Rush games up on a Lan with 2 separate machines with the exception of I got the latest tap drivers, tap-windows-9.24.7-I601-Win10. My son and I just finished playing for a good 20 minutes or so, playing like 5 different tracks and things worked perfectly, like exactly how you would hope they would. Wanted to share, mostly because I am so excited I can hardly stand it. While this is of course not a super long test, previously we had never been able to finish 3 races without things crashing, and that was the record, it was normally much less. I was even using force feedback with the wheel, working well, as long as you do not have the game setup for Freeplay, I have NO CLUE why that makes a difference, but for me, I have to have the driving cab setup where you add coins manually and then play or the Force Feedback stuff goes crazy in game.

Quick shout out to the guys who posted the instructions many years ago, they have held up well!!

- Zeosstud

Holy crap this is awesome. I will have to try it with the same Mame version and tap adapter version but on my older PCs (4th gen i7 and amd 3600) to see if it is the speed of the newer PCs or the Mame/Tap versions. Have you had any luck with Rush the Rock or only Rush 2049 SE?

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 03:12:48 pm
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2024, 11:40:30 pm »
Sorry,
          Have not been on here for awhile, been knee deep in my Virtual Pinball restore. I have not tried Rush the Rock, literally only messed with Rust 2049 SE.. If I can free up a little time though, I will be happy to test and report back.

Zeosstud

bimm25e

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 09:56:44 pm
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2024, 02:34:37 pm »

Throwing in just a little tidbit here for people looking to troubleshoot linking arcade with real hardware. (SOOO AWESOME!!!!)

San Francisco Rush runs faster in mame than it does on actual hardware. My guess is original hardware actually lags just a little bit or its clock is just a little lower than advertised. Imperceptible but enough to add an entire second to a 5 minute race.

To qualify my opinion ill say i was the world record holder on track 2 until a couple months ago on the actual arcade cabinet and my times are faster in mame than they are on the cab consistently.

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 06:15:03 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2024, 06:15:03 am »
Maybe try syncing the game to monitor refresh in mame, or vice versa. Turn off frame skipping etc.