Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Link play on San Francisco Rush & all vegas/seattle games  (Read 38844 times)

Boomslang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Link play on San Francisco Rush & all vegas/seattle games
« on: December 28, 2019, 01:04:50 am »
Hey guys,

Has anyone achieved playing link play on MAME of these across multiple pcs?

I can get it working between 2 x mame running from 1 pc but my attempts over LAN never worked

Only games ive tried but all linked fine was San Francisco Rush, San Francisco Rush The Rock, San Francisco Rush 2049 & Vapor TRX

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Re: Link play on San Francisco Rush & all vegas/seattle games
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 12:06:10 pm »
The old PC I used as player 2 died ages ago, so no more networking fun times for me anymore. Could use the Barcade for simple stuff, but it doesn't have a GPU so don't think it'd handle complex 3D MAME games

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 01:51:14 pm »
Mame doesn't really make use of the GPU unfortunately. It emulates the arcade gpu in software via the CPU. That's why you need an absolute monster processor to run even fairly simple-looking 3d games in mame. My I7 3930K 6-core 4.2ghz processor is barely enough to run Time Crisis in mame without the extreme overclocking setting while newer PC based 3d arcade games like Mario Kart DX in Teknoparrot run fine on my 10-year-old laptop.

I've never managed to link two PC's in mame either so I'd also like to know how it's done and which games it can be done with. It's well documented in other emulators but I assumed it wasn't an option in mame.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 02:44:36 pm »
Sorry, link works fine across multiple pcs

I was trying to do it with pc and laptop (via wifi), it needs to be ethernet really as wifi was too high latency i guess
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 02:52:37 pm by Boomslang »

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:51:56 am
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 03:00:31 pm »
What is required to link the games on one PC? I can use this to unlock the last few paintjobs in Rush 2049 (on code 007007007).

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 03:35:18 pm »
credits to tedgreen for original information which ive modified slightly

For Multiple MAME on Single PC Link

1 - Install openvpn https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/
2 - Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center
3 - Go to change adapter settings
4 - See if you have any TAP-Windows-Adapter V9 installed already
5 - Browse to C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin
6 - Right click on addtap.bat and select run as administrator (This will install a new tap adapter for 2nd MAME, skip step 7 if you already have one installed when you looked in step 4)
7 - Right click on addtap.bat and select run as administrator (ONLY DO THIS IF YOU HAD NO TAP ADAPTER INSTALLED ALREADY IN STEP 4)
8 - Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center & Change adapter settings again
9 - Select both tap adapters and right click then Bridge Connections
10 - Could get an error here
11 - Right click on the Network Bridge and select properties. Make sure both tap adapters have checkboxes selected in the top window
12 - Start sfrushrk in the first directory and then exit mame after the rush the rock splash screen appears.
13 - Start sfrushrk in the second directory and then change the serial number in the dip switches to something other than 6.
14 - For the second sfrushrk enter service mode and change the car color from red to something else. Exit mame.
15 - Edit sfrushrk.cfg in the first mame cfg directory. In the network area change so that interface="0" .
16 - Edit sfrushrk.cfg in the second mame cfg directory. In the network area change so that interface="1" .
17 - Start the two instances of mame sfrushrk in the two separate directories.

For Multiple PC Link
Wouldn't work for me via wifi, please use direct ethernet connection

1 - Install openvpn https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/
2 - Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center
3 - Go to change adapter settings
4 - See if you have any TAP-Windows-Adapter V9 installed already
5 - Browse to C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin (If you already have one installed when you looked in step 4, Skip to Step 7)
6 - Right click on addtap.bat and select run as administrator (If you already have one installed when you looked in step 4, Skip to Step 7)
7 - Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center & Change adapter settings again
8 - Select tap adapter and your main ethernet adapter right click then Bridge Connections
9 - Could get an error here
10 - Right click on the Network Bridge and select properties. Make sure tap adapter & ethernet have checkboxes selected in the top window
11 - Start sfrushrk in the first PC and then exit mame after the rush the rock splash screen appears.
12 - Start sfrushrk in the second PC and then change the serial number in the dip switches to something other than 6.
13 - For the second sfrushrk PC enter service mode and change the car color from red to something else. Exit mame.
14 - Edit sfrushrk.cfg in the first PC cfg folder. In the network area change so that interface="0" .
15 - Edit sfrushrk.cfg in the second PC cfg folder. In the network area change so that interface="0" .
16 - Start the two instances of mame sfrushrk in the two separate directories.

IF UNSURE OF INTERFACE NUMBER
load mame with -listnetwork flag and see where your tap adapter comes in list. Interface only looks at the Virtual adapters installed eg if you are using
TAP-Windows Adapter V9 #3 you would generally be Interface 2. Interface 0 is first tap adapter, if you use 2nd tap adapter its interface 1 etc

You can also press tab and goto Network devices on each mame and ensure it says your Tap adapter you want to use. If it's blank, change interface number in cfg folder again

To Remove TAP Adapters

1 - Browse to C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin
2 - Right click on deltapall.bat and select run as administrator
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 04:08:11 pm by Boomslang »

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 04:32:34 pm »
I'm getting stuck on Step 9.  I can install as many TAP adapters as I want but nothing will pop up here.  When I uninstall them with deltapall.bat, it will list all the ones I installed and delete them.

The installed adapters show up in my Device Manager but with errors.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 04:51:00 pm by DarthMarino »

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 04:53:17 pm »
What do you mean? Does it not bridge your 2 adapters?

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 04:55:36 pm »
No, they don't show up at all in network connections.  Just my usual ethernet and wi-fi that were there before.  They appear in my device manager but have errors.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 05:11:58 pm »
Hm sorry I'm not sure

Gotta solve that error then

Just googled it and try this

open cmd prompt via Start Menu, 'Windows System', right click on CMD (DOS prompt), More, then select Run as Administrator
on a command line type:

bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on

This turns off integrity checking of unsigned driver - allows unsigned drivers to be installed
- run / install your software, openVPN TAP software

Test and then run the following to turn integrity checking back on

bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks off
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 05:15:17 pm by Boomslang »

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 05:57:15 pm »
Hmm. Somehow it started working.  I deleted the entries manually from the Device Manager including the drivers and then they installed correctly. Odd.  Thank you for the instructions.

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 06:53:02 pm »
I made some progress but still not dice.  The bridging worked.  When I go into MAME, I have one instance showing LAN and the other showing LAN2. I changed one instance to cabinet 2 (since there is no color option) however the 2049 games have no SN dip switch so I'm not sure if that's why they aren't communicating.  Rush The Rock doesn't have this dip switch either.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2019, 07:29:21 pm »
Are you running latest mame?

They are there for sure

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 08:03:07 pm »
Now I am! Thanks again.

Hydreigon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2023, 09:57:11 pm
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 12:46:13 pm »
Holy crap someone had guts to do this guide.

Anyway, the linking hardware on the Seattle and Vegas games aren't 100% so expect some bugs. Hyperdrive doesn't link at all (either the two instances won't talk to each other or game freezes at track select). I'm not really in the mood to have multiple MAME directories right now. An interesting test would be to link MAME to an actual machine. The procedure would be the same as linking to another pc except the second pc would be an actual Seattle/Vegas pcb.

I would like to see MAME make use of the GPU for these Voodoo games. My PC, running an i5 8600k @4.4 GHz can barely run Road Burners at full speed.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 12:54:43 pm by Hydreigon »

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2019, 02:48:05 pm »

Anyway, the linking hardware on the Seattle and Vegas games aren't 100% so expect some bugs. Hyperdrive doesn't link at all (either the two instances won't talk to each other or game freezes at track select). I'm not really in the mood to have multiple MAME directories right now. An interesting test would be to link MAME to an actual machine. The procedure would be the same as linking to another pc except the second pc would be an actual Seattle/Vegas pcb.

I would like to see MAME make use of the GPU for these Voodoo games. My PC, running an i5 8600k @4.4 GHz can barely run Road Burners at full speed.

Me too but the Mame guys seem to be more concerned with accurate hardware emulation than actually making games run well. Apparently, patching old games to use modern GPUs would be in conflict with their stated aim of "preservation"... or something...

For now, it's best to just use mame for 2d games and other emulators or consoles for 3d stuff. We'll all be long dead by the time the Mame team figures out how to make complex 3d graphics run well without a dedicated GPU.

Hydreigon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2019, 05:39:04 pm »

Me too but the Mame guys seem to be more concerned with accurate hardware emulation than actually making games run well. Apparently, patching old games to use modern GPUs would be in conflict with their stated aim of "preservation"... or something...

For now, it's best to just use mame for 2d games and other emulators or consoles for 3d stuff. We'll all be long dead by the time the Mame team figures out how to make complex 3d graphics run well without a dedicated GPU.
Mame has possible plans for their BGFX renderer to make use of the GPU sometime in the future. Preliminary support was added as of 0.215.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2019, 06:02:27 am »
If you're only interested in getting the Sega M1 comm board games linked (Virtua Racing, Outrunners et cetera) it's possible to do both multi-system and single PC link (or a combination of both) without needing to download any additional programs and just setting up MAME to run as multiple machines and adding some additional info in your MAME ini file. This is the video I used to get it all set up originally
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 06:16:48 am by MrThunderwing »

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 04:01:16 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2020, 02:48:19 pm »
If you're only interested in getting the Sega M1 comm board games linked (Virtua Racing, Outrunners et cetera) it's possible to do both multi-system and single PC link (or a combination of both) without needing to download any additional programs and just setting up MAME to run as multiple machines and adding some additional info in your MAME ini file. This is the video I used to get it all set up originally

Yes that's what Ive been doing since Sailorsat posted the VR details years ago. Are the other linked racers not the same process? I always wanted to link final lap and rush etc but never got around to it.

totoplay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2023, 04:56:04 am
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 12:08:27 pm »
Hey guys,

Has anyone achieved playing link play on MAME of these across multiple pcs?

I can get it working between 2 x mame running from 1 pc but my attempts over LAN never worked

Only games ive tried but all linked fine was San Francisco Rush, San Francisco Rush The Rock, San Francisco Rush 2049 & Vapor TRX

LAN across multiple pcs doesn't work for me following your instructions with MAME 0.217.
I've tried to change interface number from 0 to 9 manually with no luck.
Going to "Network Devices" and then trying to go left/right to check numbers crashes MAME:
Fatal error: Attempt to register save state entry after state registration is closed! Module timer tag osd_netdev::recv name m_param

Network bridge and LAN is OK (2P Virtua Racing works fine with it).

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2020, 08:04:46 am »

Yes that's what Ive been doing since Sailorsat posted the VR details years ago. Are the other linked racers not the same process? I always wanted to link final lap and rush etc but never got around to it.

I believe the method I'm talking about is specific only to a small handful of Sega System 32 and Model 1 board games. Off the top of my head, I think the complete list is:
Virtua Racing
Virtua Formula
Wing War
Outrunners
F1 Super Lap
Rad Rally
I'm not sure about any others. Sailorsat is the guru when it comes to this type of stuff (as well as it's architect).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 08:06:55 am by MrThunderwing »

totoplay

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2020, 11:00:08 am »
Link play on San Francisco Rush & all vegas/seattle games

Keep trying with sfrush and sfrushrk but LAN (2 PCs) doesn't work at all. I'm using different serial number and car color.

Network devices > Tap adapter is defined for each PC.

Again, LAN is OK with all SEGA titles using MAME 0.217 and network bridge.

Is something special required for mame.ini and vegas/seattle games?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:05:01 am by totoplay »

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2020, 02:44:02 pm »
No

Just the steps I said

Perhaps your lan isnt low enough latency or something

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2020, 07:54:53 pm »
No

Just the steps I said

Hey Boomslang. Does having the TAP adapter installed affect other link emu like m2 etc? Thanks
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 01:58:13 am by vandale »

Hydreigon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2020, 12:20:38 am »
No

Just the steps I said

I've been told the emulation of the device responsible for networking is in a buggy state. Some games won't even network even on a network bridge (Hyperdrive for example).

totoplay

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2020, 09:00:57 am »
Thanks for the info Boomslang and Hydreigon.

I was wondering what it could be as I tried everything possible and my network is very stable... I'm able to play Indy 500 (2 simultaneous players) for 15-20 minutes with no problem, finishing races and restarting.

BrownEye02

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2022, 11:00:09 pm
  • RUSH
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2020, 07:32:11 pm »
Sorry to bring this back from the grave but I for the life of me can't get MAME to find the TAP adapter.
  • I've got the TAP driver installed and listed in network adapters with no device manager faults.
  • I've tried several versions of MAME but everyone just gives "No network adapters were found" when running -listnetwork
  • I've tried running MAME as admin and even CMD
  • When setting sfrushrk.cfg interface to 0 or 1 I noticed the cfg gets reset to -1
Am I missing some MAME ini config entry that I need to enable to turn on network? Some forms noted a network menu in the main MAME screen but I don't have that.
Would love to get this working for a bit of local multiplayer fun.
]

Alright, figured out the problem. OpenVPN recently updated the TAP adapter driver which looks to have either broken it or at least made it not work with MAME. Here are the steps I took to get this working. I can confirm it worked locally on the same machine as well as over my network between two machines on the LAN (PC to switch to router to PC). Next a buddy and I will be trying a VPN to see if we can play over the internet. Would love to see about getting a group together for a session if this works!!! This was all done using Bigtymer781's 60FPS port of MAME too! But it should work on any version of MAME that supports network.

Same Computer

PC 1

PC 2

For Multiple MAME on Single PC Link

1 - Download the tap-windows-9.24.2-I601-Win10.exe file, or the one for your version of OS from OpenVPNs alternative download server (https://build.openvpn.net/downloads/releases/) Ctrl-F will be your friend in finding it!
2 - Run the installer. (I checked all options including the SDK to be safe. You only need to check TAP Virtual Ethernet Adapter & TAP Utilities. If you do not check TAP Utilities you will not have the bin folder with the add and delete .bat's referenced later on in this guide.)
3 - Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center
4 - Go to change adapter settings
5 - See if you have any TAP-Windows-Adapter V9 installed already
- optional, I renamed this adapter to MAME 1 to make things easier to identify. Mame does not care about the name as you will specify what adapter in the rush cfg file.
6 - Browse to C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin
7 - Right click on addtap.bat and select run as administrator (This will install a new tap adapter for 2nd MAME, skip step 7 if you already have one installed when you looked in step 4)
-rename the second adapter if you wish
8 - Right click on addtap.bat and select run as administrator (ONLY DO THIS IF YOU HAD NO TAP ADAPTER INSTALLED ALREADY IN STEP 4)
9 - Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center & Change adapter settings again
10 - Select both tap adapters and right click then Bridge Connections
11 - Could get an error here
12 - Right click on the Network Bridge and select properties. !!!Make sure both tap adapters have checkboxes selected in the top window!!!!
13 - If you do not have two directories of MAME then you will need to do so now.
14 - Start sfrushrk in the first directory and then exit mame after the rush the rock splash screen appears.
15 - Start sfrushrk in the second directory. After the game boots fully press tab, select dip switches and change the serial number to something other than 6.
16 - For the second sfrushrk enter service mode (hold F2 after the game has booted, unless you changed the service mode key to something else) and change the car color from red to something else. Exit mame.
17 - Edit sfrushrk.cfg in the first mame cfg directory. In the network area change so that interface="0" . Don't forget to click save.
18 - Edit sfrushrk.cfg in the second mame cfg directory. In the network area change so that interface="1" . Don't forget to click save.
19 - Start the two instances of mame sfrushrk in the two separate directories. I'd recommend letting the machines run for a bit (about 10 sec) before trying to start a game.
-You can also use the test network option in service mode to verify the two sessions can communicate to eachother.

For Multiple PC Link
Wouldn't work for me via wifi, please use direct ethernet connection

1 - Download the tap-windows-9.24.2-I601-Win10.exe file, or the one for your version of OS from OpenVPNs alternative download server (https://build.openvpn.net/downloads/releases/) Ctrl-F will be your friend in finding it!
2 - Run the installer. (I checked all options including the SDK to be safe. You only need to check TAP Virtual Ethernet Adapter & TAP Utilities. If you do not check TAP Utilities you will not have the bin folder with the add and delete .bat's referenced later on in this guide.)
3 - Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center
4 - Go to change adapter settings
5 - See if you have any TAP-Windows-Adapter V9 installed already, if so skip to step 9
- optional, I renamed this adapter to MAME 1 to make things easier to identify. Mame does not care about the name as you will specify what adapter in the rush cfg file.
6 - Browse to C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin
7 - Right click on addtap.bat and select run as administrator
8 - Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center & Change adapter settings again
9 - Select tap adapter and your main ethernet adapter right click then Bridge Connections
10 - Could get an error here
11 - Right click on the Network Bridge and select properties. !!!Make sure both network and tap adapters have checkboxes selected in the top window!!!!
12 - Start sfrushrk in the first PC and then exit mame after the rush the rock splash screen appears.
13 - Start sfrushrk in the second PC. After the game boots fully press tab, select dip switches and change the serial number to something other than 6.
14 - For the second sfrushrk PC enter service mode (hold F2 after the game has booted, unless you changed the service mode key to something else) and change the car color from red to something else. Exit mame.
15 - Edit sfrushrk.cfg in the first PC cfg folder. In the network area change so that interface="0" .
16 - Edit sfrushrk.cfg in the second PC cfg folder. In the network area change so that interface="0" .
17 - Start sfrushrk on boht PCs. I'd recommend letting the machines run for a bit (about 10 sec) before trying to start a game.
-!I had to reboot to get both PCs to see each other!
-You can also use the test network option in service mode to verify the two sessions can communicate to eachother.

IF UNSURE OF INTERFACE NUMBER
load mame with -listnetwork flag and see where your tap adapter comes in list. Interface only looks at the Virtual adapters installed eg if you are using
TAP-Windows Adapter V9 #3 you would generally be Interface 2. Interface 0 is first tap adapter, if you use 2nd tap adapter its interface 1 etc

With sfrushrk up and running you can also press tab and goto Network devices on each mame and ensure it says your Tap adapter you want to use. The name will match what you named your TAP adapter in control panel. If it's blank, change interface number in cfg folder again.

To Remove TAP Adapters

1 - Browse to C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin
2 - Right click on deltapall.bat and select run as administrator

MAD THANKS TO Boomslang and tedgreen!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 05:20:39 pm by BrownEye02 »

BrownEye02

• Offline Offline
  • RUSH
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2020, 02:12:27 am »
So I did a bit more testing and here are the results.

• I have noticed that stability is not as good in link play. The game will just close randomly. Again I'm using Bigtymer781's 60FPS port of MAME as well as FFB Plugin so this may be the main cause to this. My money is on the 60FPS port of the two but it's possible that any delay in the communication between the PCs will case the game to crash. When I get more time I'll try the latest MAME version to see if that has any effect on stability.
    I was able to get three PCs working and talking all at once. I was not able to complete a full game with them all connected due to the above; got to the last turn on the last lap though. 2 of the PCs just sat still while I drove around with the 3rd so I'm not sure if this might be a factor in the stability as well, i.e. if there was a driver for all 3 PCs.
  • WIFI is a no go. I have discovered why but till a workaround is discovered this just won't be possible, for windows that is. Can't speak for other OS's. The cause is windows prioritizing (Interface Metric) the TAP Adapter for use as its main internet connection over the WIFI adapter when they are bridged. (https://superuser.com/a/272555) The problem is you can not set the individual adapters metric number when its in a bridge. I tried setting the interface metric for both the TAP and WIFI adapters prior to bridging them but windows ignores this and looks at the bridge for all the apaters settings.
  • sf2049 works as well. Same steps as sfrush in that you need to set the adapter to 0 in cfg, change the machines SN, and set the cabinet to something other then 1 (in sfrush this is car color). I did still have the same crashing issue but will again try with the latest version of MAME and report back.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 02:20:25 am by BrownEye02 »

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2020, 02:48:33 am »
Yeah I found its unstable too  :'(

Great info though

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 04:16:28 pm
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2020, 03:14:17 pm »
Hello All,
             Any updates on this? Being able to race 2 or more players with Rush 2049 on my home network is the absolute holy grail for my new driving setup.. I will be testing this out tonight but was just curious if people were still keeping up with this.  Anyone happen to know if any members of the Mame Dev community have this on their Radar?  Also curious if people were using sf2049 or sf2049se and if one might be preferred over the other.

Thanks for this post.. Very much looking forward to trying to make this work.. that said, if it does work, I am not really looking forward to all the stuff I have to buy my son for Christmas so we can own his butt playing this..

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2020, 09:58:02 am »
Followed the instructions and was able to get 2 other PC's on my Lan to connect to my new, fast, AMD 3900x PC with GTX 1080TI video card.. The instructions are brilliant..
That said, in all cases, the slower PC's (older intel i5 and really older interl i7) crashed/locked up within seconds of the race starting, I could come up with no troubleshooting steps to
change what was happening. I did everything with San Francisco Rush 2049, both the normal and Special Edition versions.  Sure the results were
a bit of a bummer but the fact that we are this close, is very encouraging. I have a buddy who just built a PC around the new AMD 5950x and RTX
3090, I am hoping I can convince him to bring it over and see if somehow that makes a difference, if maybe you just need BEEFY PC's to let all
the magic happen.

-Zeosstud
Rodney Butler

BrownEye02

• Offline Offline
  • RUSH
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2020, 02:58:24 am »
So I was able to do a bit more testing last week and discovered a few things.
I was able to get 4 instances of Bigtymer781's 60FPS MAME port running on my laptop (7700HQ). I did not bump the frame rate to 60 though as all 4 running at once I was barely getting 12-15 FPS. BUT, with all 4 running and linked together not one crashed. I was able to slowly play through a whole race on The Rock without dropping one.
Now, using the same laptop and my desktop (3900x), just like Zeosstud I wasn't able to get a minute or two into the game before one of them crashed. Usually my laptop but there were about 2 times my desktop was the one to crash out of maybe 10 tries.
I tried both on the latest stock MAME (.226b) and saw no changes.
I thought maybe it was the network protocols interfering since RUSH broadcasts its data. (physical layer I think, never quite got the OSI model ;D) So, I tested both machines directly connected to each other and all network protocols like IPv4, v6, etc. disabled but it didn't make a difference.
Now, neither machine can emulate the game 100% of the time all the time. My desktop even when not set to run at 60FPS will dip to about 93% on go (after 3,2,1) but will only dip to 98% the rest of the time maybe ever 10 to 15 sec or so. My laptop drops to the 80s on go and bounces between 98 and 95 most of the time. Part of me is wondering if this is the issue. That one of them becoming off sync just enough for a long enough time causing it to crash. Since my laptop has the weaker CPU it was usually the one. My theory with my laptop running all 4 with no issues is even though they were not 100% sync, they all stayed together (around the same %) since the same CPU was doing the work for all of them. This would some what also explain why I was almost able to get through a full race when my MCPC was linked to my gaming desktop as the MCPC has a 7700K in it. In that case, if I remember right I noticed my gaming desktop was the one to crash more.

So, what does this all mean. Well if my theory is correct then were kind of boned. Until we can emulate RUSH 100% of the time all the time or find some back end way to allow for a machine to become off sync with out crashing this just wont be stable enough to be reliable. I have 0 programing experience so am no help in that department. :( I'd love to see GPU support to help with the emulation but lord knows MAME will never do that since they prefer 100% accurate emulation to 100% performance emulation. Which I can understand and believe should be an option for any emulation. Just wish there was an option out there, kind of like Bigtymer781's port that prioritized features and performance over emulation accuracy. I'd put up 100$ minimum for a bounty but with how special the hardware in the RUSH cabinets is vs others and the few of us that would pay/use said port it just seems like a fantasy.

Hello All,
             Any updates on this? Being able to race 2 or more players with Rush 2049 on my home network is the absolute holy grail for my new driving setup..
Love the setup!!! Don't mean to be off topic but how much do you like the shifter? When I picked up my wheel I was told its not really needed since it has paddle shifters but with me having more hours in RUSH then any other driving game I'm kind of starting to regret not having one. :D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 03:09:04 am by BrownEye02 »

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2020, 02:04:17 am »
The shifter is amazing when I am playing Forza Horizon on my Xbox.. So far for arcade games I still stink worse when I use it.. I am just getting my basement back in order after some renovations and am looking forward to using it a lot more. The new pedal set and shifter really have improved the fun factor in Horizon, if you can, treat yourself, you will not regret it.. Full disclosure, in Horizon I am using the setting where you shift but no clutch is needed ( baby steps )..

I have recently got Teknoparrot working, really enjoying Outrun 2 SP SDX and Dirty Drivin' using that emulator and Sega Rally 3, got force feedback working with that one..

Zeosstud

aevans0001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 04:50:15 pm
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2020, 12:16:32 am »
Hi all, I recently tried to work through the instructions from @BrownEye02.  I got all the way to #10 on the using 2 pcs list.  After I create the bridge link the windows enviroment gives me a BSOD. I tried multiple different solutions, but none of them worked.  It is the bridge.sys (i believe) that keeps crashing.  i tried this on at least 2 different computers but i believe i on 3 (it was over a week ago). Any suggestions?  I would really love to help test this and possibly find solutions.

Thanks

BrownEye02

• Offline Offline
  • RUSH
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2021, 09:15:45 pm »
Hi all, I recently tried to work through the instructions from @BrownEye02.  I got all the way to #10 on the using 2 pcs list.  After I create the bridge link the windows enviroment gives me a BSOD. I tried multiple different solutions, but none of them worked.  It is the bridge.sys (i believe) that keeps crashing.  i tried this on at least 2 different computers but i believe i on 3 (it was over a week ago). Any suggestions?  I would really love to help test this and possibly find solutions.
Thanks
We need more details about your setup to help. What version of windows, 64 or 32bit, PC specs, wifi or LAN, what driver are you using from openVPN, etc? With you having tried multiple machines I would put my money on the TAP adapter your getting from openVPN but I'm not 100% commited to that till we know the exact one your downloading. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the bridge.sys as thats saying the bridge adapter is causing the crashing. But that could still be failing due to the TAP adapter being bad.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 09:20:57 pm by BrownEye02 »

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 07:10:47 pm
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2021, 06:06:20 pm »
Correct me if this is not the case but doesn’t playing two emulators on one pc at least give us one solution to playing Rush link play on two separate cabinets?

In Win 10 if you right click the desktop and go to display you can see both displays if you output to two different displays at once. After doing what Browneye02 said in post reply #26, couldn’t you manually drag one mame Rush copy to your main screen in full screen and drag the second Mame Rush install to the secondary display and have it full screen on the 2nd display? You would just have a long usb extension cable to go from the 2nd cabinets g29 ( or g27 similar) steering wheel to the (single) pc that is in the primary cab. Then you would click tab on the first Mame install and setup the primary cabs g29 wheel controls and then you would open the 2nd Mame Rush install and click tab and setup the 2nd g29 controls.. any reason that would not work? If it does work, maybe we can script the opening of each mame64 exe to open on a specific display with a bat file via Launchbox/Bigbox.

The downside is that I want to say Daytona USA on Model2 M2emulator does better with seperate PCs in link mode (maybe?) but hopefully we could still do the same concept of two emulators in one pc with token ring for Daytona. The other downside for Rush is the CPU has to be really good. Maybe a Ryzen 5600 would play two Rush’s at once now that AMD is faster than Intel in gaming? I was going to get two i5/i7 4th gen boxes for rush but I wonder if I need one newer box instead?

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2021, 01:49:59 pm »
EDIT: I am going to test doing locally on my Ryzen 3600 pc. I will update if I am successful.

Apparently global_inputs can be set to 1 in the mame.ini (or <game>.ini) to allow you to have two separate controls (two g29 wheels) even if only one Mame copy has the window highlighted so that may be another requirement for 1 pc with 2 emulators. We will see.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:24:26 pm by jorgenjl2 »

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2021, 04:39:33 pm »
Success: I was able to get two player San Francisco Rush the Rock link play (mame .227) to work on my single pc using BrownEye02 directions and it is glorious being able to crash into the 2nd player  :applaud: :cheers:  This is SOOO close....

Now for the bad news: The game (usually one copy) seems to crash after a minute or so of playing (more on this later) and I could not get global_inputs to work how I expected it to even with it being set to 1 in mame.ini (or sfrushrk.ini if specific file) although I did not try for long. I am reading that global_inputs is only for raw input so I am not sure if the g29 wheel and pedals are raw input but I could only enter one set of commands at a time (whichever window, aka copy of mame, that was highlighted at the time). Since that did not yet work I did not yet look into running a powershell command (or Nirsoft advancedrun) to specify the window size and position as shortcut arguments or commands to play the 2nd copy of Mame on the 2nd monitor (I just manually dragged for now).

Note that one time I accidentally ran mame 32 bit instead of 64 bit and started a game thinking they would be linked when they were not and the game still crashed after about 30 seconds so I think the Ryzen 3600 may not be fast enough for two copies of sfrushrk at the same time. Overall CPU was only 29% but it did look like individual cores sometimes went up to 100%.

I would like to see two things:

1) A mame developer comment on San Francisco Rush the Rock networking and what they think it would take to get reliably working

2) Someone with a Ryzen 5600X (or even better a Ryzen 5950X) test out if they can get two copies of San Francisco Rush the Rock to link play on one pc without freezing

This is crazy how close this is to completely working!  :D :applaud:

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2021, 02:59:54 pm »
GREAT NEWS!  Thanks to the Mame developers, the latest version of Mame (.234) has improved performance for SF Rush/SF Rush the Rock by 30% since it includes updates to the Voodoo games (SFRush/Rock being a Voodoo game). :applaud:

I was able to do multiple linked play games (on a single pc using BrownEye02's "November 21, 2020, 07:32:11 pm" reply steps) to completion without a single disconnect. In fact I cannot get it to disconnect if I try. Hitting F11 also shows that I am running both copies of the game at 100% (0/10 skip). I also do not get any minor audio stutter like I used to (I think it used to say "Check...checkpoint" instead of just "Checkpoint" at the 1st checkpoint on the title Rock track for example... or at least it does on my i7 4th gen). This new test is using a Ryzen 3600.

Now we need someone to test multiple linked pc's to see if it is fixed... As long as the pc's are able to run a single version of the game at 100% now (F11 to show fps %) I wonder if this will work now!

Bigtymer781

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 12:21:40 pm
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2021, 04:43:46 pm »
This would be a dream come true if network play worked for Rush the Rock. I was completely unaware that it even remotely worked, this is great news!

Soon I'll compile a 60fps version for the latest MAME, and instead of having to adjust the slider to get 60fps, the game titles will just have (60fps) in them and it will automatically run at 60.

Hopefully we can play this online soon, I can't wait.

sonik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2024, 10:52:59 am
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2021, 07:37:15 pm »
Soon I'll compile a 60fps version for the latest MAME, and instead of having to adjust the slider to get 60fps, the game titles will just have (60fps) in them and it will automatically run at 60.

Looking for an updated exe with 60fps. Please reply here later when you compile it :)

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2021, 01:54:54 pm »
This would be a dream come true if network play worked for Rush the Rock. I was completely unaware that it even remotely worked, this is great news!

Hopefully we can play this online soon, I can't wait.

I am glad to see there are others as excited about this as me.

That is awesome about the 60fps version. Once you get it setup please do let us know so we can test it. I believe the only thing with the previous 60fps version was that the intro menu (before you insert coins and hit the gas) ran a little fast right? Do you expect this new version to still have that?

Note that I see Mame is now at .235 instead of .234. The only thing I can tell for this is this one line item below about minor voodoo coverity complaints (but I am not sure that it is super important). Aaron Giles is the man for the complete 3dfx Voodoo rewrite in .234+ that allows us to do this.

-voodoo: Address minor coverity complaints [Aaron Giles]

Bigtymer781

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2021, 05:07:40 pm »
That is awesome about the 60fps version. Once you get it setup please do let us know so we can test it. I believe the only thing with the previous 60fps version was that the intro menu (before you insert coins and hit the gas) ran a little fast right? Do you expect this new version to still have that?

Yeah, the car selection menu ran a little fast and the race countdown voice had a glitch if I remember right. I'll try to fix that in the next version, and the link will be posted on here for sure.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2021, 10:00:09 pm »

Yeah, the car selection menu ran a little fast and the race countdown voice had a glitch if I remember right. I'll try to fix that in the next version, and the link will be posted on here for sure.

Any luck with the build or has anyone tested link play via 2 PCs yet?

Hydreigon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2021, 11:32:29 pm »

Any luck with the build or has anyone tested link play via 2 PCs yet?
Someone got Cart Fury to link up with two PCs in mame 0.235 thanks to the additional improvements in the network emulation. In versions below 0.234, Cart Fury wouldn't talk to each other at all and in 0.234, they both will talk but only for a short time until one instance freezes.

For best stability, both instances of mame (regardless of if linking with multiple computers or just one) need to run at full speed (also do not increase the emulation speed either).

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 09:12:11 pm
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2021, 05:21:19 pm »
Any evolution?

BrownEye02

• Offline Offline
  • RUSH
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2021, 11:23:54 pm »
Alright so I did a bit more testing today with the latest version of MAME (0238b) and can confirm it seems stability wise, linked play has improved. It's not 100% but it is better. Below are the specs of each machine and their network configuration.

Desktop
CPU: 3900X
Motherboard: AsRock x570 Steel Legend
RAM: 16GB @3600MHz
GPU: 1080TI
Network: 1Gbps LAN connection, to 8pt TP-Link Gigabit Switch, to Actiontec ECB7250 2.5Gbps MoCA Adapter, to 1Gbps Router

Media Center PC
CPU: 7700K
Motherboard: MSI z270 GAMING M7
RAM: 16GB @3200MHz
GPU: 1070 8GB
Network: 1Gbps LAN connection, to 1Gbps Router

Laptop
CPU: 7700HQ
Model: Alienware 13 R3
RAM: 16GB @2400MHz
GPU: 1060 6GB
Network: 1Gbps LAN connection, to 8pt TP-Link Gigabit Switch, to Actiontec ECB7250 2.5Gbps MoCA Adapter, to 1Gbps Router

Overall it seems launching the game has become less stable in this version of MAME. Almost every time I'd have to restart the ROM (Shift+F3) once or even twice to get the game to fully boot. Now I did incorporate the FFB plugin in each of the instances. Even though only my MCP had my steering wheel connected to it. So that is a possible factor, doubt it though. Once fully booted the single player stability matched that of previous versions. I do need to play with it more to confirm that. I also noticed that about 50% of the time the non button/front panel display view (Screen 0 Standard (4:3)) would not stick even though it was set in the .cfg file. I could simply set it back to the way I want but was a bit annoying.

As for link play. Nothing has changed from my previous guide for setting up multi machine link play. Once the adapter is set in the .cfg file for the game, MAME immediately picked up my TAP network adapter. In game dip switch and service mode configuration is the same too.
Now into the meat. For each test I was starting the game on my MCP first to make it the host being that it is the highest clocked system I own. After that it was a mixed bag on who I would join second and third. I could get all 3 machines to detect each other no problem. My desktop and MCP seemed to be the most stable but my laptop dropped every time in all of my tests. This seems to confirm my theory that if your machine is too weak and can't emulate the game at 100% all the time it will get dropped. As for when it just depended. I made a video showing all 3 running on the same screen. This was probably the best run my laptop made out of all the tests I did. In the video when my laptop crashes you don't see the sync % drop from 100% but in some of my previous tests you could. The other two machines are pegged at 100% sync. Note: In the video I forgot to turn on the sync OSD on my MCP.

This is defiantly a step in the right direction. There still needs to be a bit more optimizations for this to be rock solid for most but it seems like you might actually be able to get one or two full games in without either machine crashing out. I'd like to see what performance impact or even possible improvement Bigtymer's 60FPS variant will have but will just need to sit patiently and wait. :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 11:57:37 pm by BrownEye02 »

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2021, 10:40:08 am »
WOW! Congratulations and thanks, friend. Unfortunately I don't have two powerful PCs to help with the tests, so I'm following the evolution right here. Did you also test it with version 236 of MAME? Because I think the best version to run SF Rush.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2021, 08:22:58 am »
Has anyone been able to run SF Rush on MAME 239?

BrownEye02

• Offline Offline
  • RUSH
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2022, 01:33:31 pm »
I can give it a try later tonight. Not loading at all or is it something else like link play not working?

Bigtymer781

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2022, 08:20:07 pm »
I just started testing MAME 0.239 yesterday. I haven't tried doing the link play yet though.

It was kind of a pain in the ass to get it working, since the last time I played a few things have changed. The sfrushrk.zip file has an extra file in it now "331_rush_the_rock.u96", and you need to create a folder called "sfrushrk" inside of the roms folder to put the CHD file in. Also you need another zip file called "tms32031" that has "c31boot.bin" in it, that goes in your roms folder also. I did all that, and it worked for me.

I also confirmed that the CPU usage is significantly lower than in MAME 0.209 (the last time I played) which is great. Another 60fps hack is coming soon.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 08:23:14 pm by Bigtymer781 »

BrownEye02

• Offline Offline
  • RUSH
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2022, 12:27:33 am »
I just started testing MAME 0.239 yesterday. I haven't tried doing the link play yet though.

It was kind of a pain in the ass to get it working, since the last time I played a few things have changed. The sfrushrk.zip file has an extra file in it now "331_rush_the_rock.u96", and you need to create a folder called "sfrushrk" inside of the roms folder to put the CHD file in. Also you need another zip file called "tms32031" that has "c31boot.bin" in it, that goes in your roms folder also. I did all that, and it worked for me.

I also confirmed that the CPU usage is significantly lower than in MAME 0.209 (the last time I played) which is great. Another 60fps hack is coming soon.
Yep, looks like the ROM dump has been updated to now include a new security PIC. http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/dettaglio_mame.php?game_name=sfrushrk
Same goes for 2049. http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/dettaglio_mame.php?game_name=sf2049se&search_id=
As for how to obtain said PIC files I have no clue..... besides dumping directly from the cabinets which everyone has access too....
Edit: Well, found them thanks to Bigtymer but can't post them per Mod/Rule 5. I can't even hint at the site. :/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 02:50:18 pm by BrownEye02 »

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2022, 06:48:07 am »
Thanks guys!

Bigtymer781, I still have the old "MAME 60fps", thanks and congratulations on the work. I look forward to the next version. Is it possible to leave it with the adjustable slider bar instead of fixed at 120 Hz?

BrownEye02, I couldn't find the download link for the updated roms.

I have another problem with the latest versions of MAME: In some games (not all) the emulator recognizes the accelerator pedal in the settings but during the game it doesn't work. If anyone can help I will be grateful.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:01:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2022, 01:26:04 pm »
BrownEye02, I couldn't find the download link for the updated roms.
The reason links like the adb.arcadeitalia.net ones are allowed is that sites like that tell you filenames, sizes, and other useful info, but they don't have download links for the ROMs or even hint at where to find them.  See Rule 5.   ;)

Scott

BrownEye02

• Offline Offline
  • RUSH
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2022, 02:53:54 pm »
I have another problem with the latest versions of MAME: In some games (not all) the emulator recognizes the accelerator pedal in the settings but during the game it doesn't work. If anyone can help I will be grateful.
If you see your peddles function properly in MAME's analog controls menu then you simple need to go through RUSH's calibration process again. I've experienced this issue a lot when it comes to steering. MAME shows my steering being detected correctly in the analog controls menu but the game will not respond or I'm stuck turning right all the time or something. Simply enable the calibrate on boot dip switch in the MAME menus, reboot the ROM and perform the calibration manually or boot to service mode and perform the controls test. During the calibration press the peddles all the way down. You should see the reported value's show you hitting the max values. Once this is done and the values are no longer red you can exit/complete the calibration. You don't need to through all the buttons. I do recommend doing your analog controls though so peddles and steering wheel.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 03:00:05 pm by BrownEye02 »

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2022, 06:36:42 pm »
I deleted the message I had written here. Something went wrong. lol
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 07:45:56 pm by Super-Becker »

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2022, 12:23:40 pm »

When you run Rush The Rock a message appears saying "One or more ROMs/CHD for this machine have not been correctly dumped."?

Bigtymer781

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2022, 11:34:44 pm »
Yeah it does. Maybe the rom wasn't dumped correctly? There's some textures that look a little fuzzy here and there, maybe that has something to do with it. I dont know.

Bigtymer781

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2022, 05:57:01 am »
Here are the MAME 0.239 (60fps) versions, they use the slider hack also.

There's 3 versions, each one is a little more demanding on your hardware with slightly higher overall FPS. If your emulation speed is dropping below 100%, I wouldn't even waste time downloading a more demanding one because your FPS will usually drop when the emulation speed drops.

Main CPU R5000 @300mhz and Voodoo 1 slightly overclocked
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hg1zQF7ZBZ5RE2Q1azfmEeQuyb1lRfFG/view?usp=sharing

Main CPU R5000 @400mhz and Voodoo 1 slightly overclocked
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RimUGCbuHm5qW_4QfFYusqcU4fucC2gr/view?usp=sharing

Main CPU R5000 @500mhz / Main CPU RM7000 @350mhz with Voodoo 1 AND Voodoo3 slightly overclocked (for Rush 2049)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15KWnfNTya5AGtzbeGPrdzjIgNYdog29i/view?usp=sharing

The sound glitch for the race countdown voice still happens. I don't think overclocking causes the problem, because it only happens once the FPS is boosted in the slider menu. I think it could only be fixed by hacking the rom, since it seems reliant on the frame rate.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 05:59:43 am by Bigtymer781 »

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2022, 06:44:35 am »
Man I can't believe it!!! I come here three times a day to see if you posted. Too bad I can't test it now because I'm moving these days, but I can't wait! I am very grateful! Thank you very much!

BrownEye02

• Offline Offline
  • RUSH
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2022, 02:17:09 pm »
Here are the MAME 0.239 (60fps) versions, they use the slider hack also.
Ohhhhh buddy!!! We got some gaming to do tonight!
Thanks you, thank you, thank you!!!! :woot

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2022, 09:03:52 am »
Spent some time with this last night, my son and I were able to race each other several times playing Rush 2049, all the way to the end.. His room is 2 floors and 3 switches away from me and both machines are pretty solid. We had more luck with Rush 2049 than we did with Rush 2049 Special Edition, even playing all 3 tracks one session without a crash. I am hoping tonight to try and get setup to do some more testing where both machines are plugged into the same switch, just to see if it might be even more stable. Clearly progress is being made and that is pretty amazing. I bet if we had 2 really beefed up systems and they were connected pretty close together things would be super stable but who knows, clearly as Mame versions continue to be released and tweaks made it is only going to get better. I should add that we did testing with Mame 0.239, 0.240 and the 500Mhz modded mame 0.239, more or less with the same results.

Zeosstud
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 09:09:19 am by Zeosstud »

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2022, 04:38:42 am »
Hi everyone. Ive just read through the thread and want clarification, is this only Rush the Rock or does it apply to the original Rush? Thanks

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2022, 12:31:25 pm »
Hi everyone. Ive just read through the thread and want clarification, is this only Rush the Rock or does it apply to the original Rush? Thanks

Since the Rock has the additional cars and tracks, I have not really tested any of this on the original. I guess some of the shortcuts are slightly different but overall I have always played the Rock.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2022, 12:35:20 pm »
Alright so I did a bit more testing today with the latest version of MAME (0238b) and can confirm it seems stability wise, linked play has improved. It's not 100% but it is better. Below are the specs of each machine and their network configuration.

Desktop
CPU: 3900X
Motherboard: AsRock x570 Steel Legend
RAM: 16GB @3600MHz
GPU: 1080TI

Media Center PC
CPU: 7700K
Motherboard: MSI z270 GAMING M7
RAM: 16GB @3200MHz
GPU: 1070 8GB
Network: 1Gbps LAN connection, to 1Gbps Router

Laptop
CPU: 7700HQ
Model: Alienware 13 R3
RAM: 16GB @2400MHz
GPU: 1060 6GB

Overall it seems launching the game has become less stable in this version of MAME. Almost every time I'd have to restart the ROM (Shift+F3) once or even twice to get the game to fully boot. Now I did incorporate the FFB plugin in each of the instances. Even though only my MCP had my steering wheel connected to it. So that is a possible factor, doubt it though. Once fully booted the single player stability matched that of previous versions. I do need to play with it more to confirm that. I also noticed that about 50% of the time the non button/front panel display view (Screen 0 Standard (4:3)) would not stick even though it was set in the .cfg file. I could simply set it back to the way I want but was a bit annoying.

As for link play. Nothing has changed from my previous guide for setting up multi machine link play. Once the adapter is set in the .cfg file for the game, MAME immediately picked up my TAP network adapter. In game dip switch and service mode configuration is the same too.
Now into the meat. For each test I was starting the game on my MCP first to make it the host being that it is the highest clocked system I own. After that it was a mixed bag on who I would join second and third. I could get all 3 machines to detect each other no problem. My desktop and MCP seemed to be the most stable but my laptop dropped every time in all of my tests. This seems to confirm my theory that if your machine is too weak and can't emulate the game at 100% all the time it will get dropped. As for when it just depended. I made a video showing all 3 running on the same screen. This was probably the best run my laptop made out of all the tests I did. In the video when my laptop crashes you don't see the sync % drop from 100% but in some of my previous tests you could. The other two machines are pegged at 100% sync. Note: In the video I forgot to turn on the sync OSD on my MCP.

This is defiantly a step in the right direction. There still needs to be a bit more optimizations for this to be rock solid for most but it seems like you might actually be able to get one or two full games in without either machine crashing out. I'd like to see what performance impact or even possible improvement Bigtymer's 60FPS variant will have but will just need to sit patiently and wait. :)
Have you been able to test this with just two players using the latest Mame with the new SF Rush folder system? I feel like 3 links is just too complicated for it to handle and we should start with two. Come to think of it, I didn’t even know you could do 3 together as I always only saw 2 together at most from what I recall. 

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2022, 12:36:30 pm »
Spent some time with this last night, my son and I were able to race each other several times playing Rush 2049, all the way to the end.. His room is 2 floors and 3 switches away from me and both machines are pretty solid. We had more luck with Rush 2049 than we did with Rush 2049 Special Edition, even playing all 3 tracks one session without a crash. I am hoping tonight to try and get setup to do some more testing where both machines are plugged into the same switch, just to see if it might be even more stable. Clearly progress is being made and that is pretty amazing. I bet if we had 2 really beefed up systems and they were connected pretty close together things would be super stable but who knows, clearly as Mame versions continue to be released and tweaks made it is only going to get better. I should add that we did testing with Mame 0.239, 0.240 and the 500Mhz modded mame 0.239, more or less with the same results.

Zeosstud

This is awesome! No crashes? Have you been able to test anymore?

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2022, 12:38:49 pm »
We have not played again since that post.. It was not perfect, but when it worked it sure was fun!!

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

classicjoe72

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2022, 11:23:40 am
  • I want to build a Fix-It-Felix Jr.!
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2022, 10:30:44 am »
I own two Rush The Rock cabinets. I wonder if I can link them over VPN to to other folks over the internet.

anchounio

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 04:24:10 pm
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2022, 04:05:18 am »
Has anybody tested Cruis'n' USA and Cruis'n' World with this TAP adapter method?
What about California Speed?

Which games should work with this method?

The mentioned ones in this thread are:

San Francisco Rush
San Francisco Rush: The Rock
San Francisco Rush 2049
Cart Fury
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 06:18:39 am by anchounio »

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2022, 11:13:58 pm »
Has anybody tested Cruis'n' USA and Cruis'n' World with this TAP adapter method?
What about California Speed?

Which games should work with this method?

The mentioned ones in this thread are:

San Francisco Rush
San Francisco Rush: The Rock
San Francisco Rush 2049
Cart Fury

I have not but that is a great idea. Getting Rush and Cruis’n working with link play is really the holy grail for linked racing games for a lot of people.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2022, 06:51:35 pm »
Guys, I feel happy to finally be able to join you in this experience. There are some interesting points to note:
- Although I managed to play an entire match on The Rock track, it doesn't happen often. Sometimes the weakest PC crashes at the beginning, in the middle or at the end as demonstrated in the video.
- I haven't played on all lanes but I noticed that lane 4 is a little more stable than 1, 2, and 3 (maybe it was by chance).
- SFRush Extreme Racing is way more stable than SFRush The Rock for sure! I managed to play straight through lanes 1, 2 and only crashed on the third lap of lane 3 almost at the end.
- SFRush 2049 could not link, but I did in SFRush 2049 SE.
- California Speed didn't make it either.
- MAME 60fps (300 mhz) crashed in a few seconds. I haven't tested the 400 and 500 mhz versions.

- Emulator MAME 0.244
- Force Feedback Plugin FFB
- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - 32 GB RAM
- Thrustmaster T300
- Monitor Tv Sony Bravia 43"
- Core i5 6600 - 16 GB RAM
- Logitech G29
- Monitor HDTV 29" CRT Philips Cineos 4:3

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2022, 07:13:54 pm »
Other things:
- Can the quality/speed of the ethernet cable influence it? I used CAT 5 cables.
- What are the best options to choose in MAME to collaborate with stability? Low latency, triple buffer, synchronized update and vsync, for example should they be on or off? Any other tips?

Edit: - Another thing I remembered is that every time I started the two games together there was a loss of configuration of the steering wheels and buttons. So in the video I start one at a time.

Edit: I was wrong about "Extreme Racing" being more stable than "The Rock". What I could see is that the first track is the one that crashes the most and I had played it less in "The Rock".
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 02:57:52 pm by Super-Becker »

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:00 pm
    • For Amusement Only e.V.
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2022, 05:41:24 pm »
Hm... I only get California Speed (calspeed) to link up fine.
(what an awesome game! totaly flew under my radar)

The others are either super unstable (sfrush, sfrushrk) or freeze on a black screen (sf2049).
I can only guess the i3-4150 is just a tad to slow - singleplayer stays at 100% though.

8 machines:
i3-4150
4gb ddr3
nvidia gt730
win7
gigabit ethernet

mame 0.242 and 0.245 tested, with throttle 1, no frameskip and no vsync.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 05:43:08 pm by SailorSat »
I do all that stuff even without a Joystick ;)
Soft-15kHz, cabMAME, For Amusement Only e.V.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2022, 11:20:00 pm »
Since the link play on a single pc worked flawlessly and I could not get it to disconnect if I tried, I wonder if the issue is just that the Mame networking needs just a little bit of work.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2022, 11:24:51 pm »
Hm... I only get California Speed (calspeed) to link up fine.
(what an awesome game! totaly flew under my radar)

The others are either super unstable (sfrush, sfrushrk) or freeze on a black screen (sf2049).
I can only guess the i3-4150 is just a tad to slow - singleplayer stays at 100% though.

8 machines:
i3-4150
4gb ddr3
nvidia gt730
win7
gigabit ethernet

mame 0.242 and 0.245 tested, with throttle 1, no frameskip and no vsync.

You got link play on two different PCs to work for Mame California Speed without disconnects? That is the first I am hearing of this game being linked off hand. If it does work, that is great news. I am dying to get San Francisco Rush and Cruis’n USA/World linked so I will have to look at how similar and different the link play is for those compared to California Speed.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2022, 04:49:37 pm »
You got link play on two different PCs to work for Mame California Speed without disconnects? That is the first I am hearing of this game being linked off hand. If it does work, that is great news. I am dying to get San Francisco Rush and Cruis’n USA/World linked so I will have to look at how similar and different the link play is for those compared to California Speed.
[/quote]

Edit: California Speed for me doesn't lose connection. Has anyone figured out how to fix or alleviate this issue in Rush?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 04:45:39 pm by Super-Becker »

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2022, 09:47:16 pm »

Edit: California Speed for me doesn't lose connection. Has anyone figured out how to fix or alleviate this issue in Rush?
[/quote]

That is great news that California Speed works with link play. What did you have to do to get it to work? Do you have to go into the test menu somehow? You used separate PCs?

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2022, 10:14:30 am »
Yes, I used separate PCs. To make it work I used the information provided in this topic.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2022, 11:08:34 pm »
Yes, I used separate PCs. To make it work I used the information provided in this topic.

Good to know. I will definitely have to add California Speed multiplayer then. I wonder why Mame California Speed works but not SF Rush (second pc since 1 pc multiplayer worked perfectly for me) or Cruis’n USA. Interesting.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2022, 11:39:29 am »
Man, how I wanted SF Rush to work perfectly on two PCs. With each new version of MAME I look forward to it, but nothing new happens. Maybe Boomslang doesn't add SFRush in Teknoparrot? At least there the games work very well in link. (Boomslang, read this please! lol).

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2022, 08:21:52 am »
Does anyone know if there is a Mame forum where they discuss working on things like this? I would be willing to pay a Mame developer to work on it.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2023, 03:50:06 pm »
For those who have this working, does your network settings (Control panel > Network and internet > advanced settings >  Network connections >) for the two TAP connections (and therefore bridge connections) red x’s this? My daughter clicked something when I was messing with it and I can’t remember.

I get an unspecified error when bridging and tried reinstalling the TAP adapter so not sure if this is normal. I am revisiting running two Rush’s on one pc using Nucleus Co-op (with xoutput or w360ce) which should in the theory allow me to play this on one pc with two monitors with two g29 wheels and solve the Mame input issue.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2023, 12:01:00 pm »
I removed the tap adapters using the bat file and started over and it’s working fine.

I forget if anyone tried this already but I tried using the Nvidia control panel and setting 640x480 57Hz custom resolution to see if maybe that would help but it still got a disconnect across PCs. Last I tried it one pc was working perfect but needs extra complicated setup to get 2 wheels etc.

There are a bunch of Mame vsync type settings and I tried a couple with no luck. Since California Speed is the same resolution and refresh rate according to the ADB database and network works fine, I am guessing it will unfortunately require a developer to fix the network code. I will put money down for anyone who wants to work on it. I tried messaging SailorSat to see interest but no response yet.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2023, 09:25:59 am »
With each new version of MAME I go running to check if there was a correction in the Rush link but it's always the same. California Speed in MAME 0.258 didn't work the FFB for me, I went back to version 0.257 and realized that the link disconnects (before I didn't test enough).

SailorSat, Nuexzz, can you guys fix this fault in the Rush and California Speed link, please?

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2023, 10:01:56 pm »
With each new version of MAME I go running to check if there was a correction in the Rush link but it's always the same. California Speed in MAME 0.258 didn't work the FFB for me, I went back to version 0.257 and realized that the link disconnects (before I didn't test enough).

SailorSat, Nuexzz, can you guys fix this fault in the Rush and California Speed link, please?
Ahh I didn’t realize California Speed disconnected in link mode. I wonder if they (Rush and Cali Soeed) have the same issue then. I am really hoping SailorSat or Nuexzz can get it to work since it is so close to working.

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:00 pm
    • For Amusement Only e.V.
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2023, 08:33:34 am »
Ahh I didn’t realize California Speed disconnected in link mode. I wonder if they (Rush and Cali Soeed) have the same issue then. I am really hoping SailorSat or Nuexzz can get it to work since it is so close to working.
It certainly does not disconnect for me - However, I'm running 8 identical machines so they probably run at the same speed for 99,99%.
I do all that stuff even without a Joystick ;)
Soft-15kHz, cabMAME, For Amusement Only e.V.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2023, 08:55:43 am »
SailorSat, Rush The Rock won't disconnect for you?

In Rush 2049, can you correct those oscillations in your opponent's cars?

I don't know what happened that day but I played California Speed again for hours and it didn't disconnect. SF Rush keeps disconnecting, but now a little less after I started using better quality ethernet cables.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2023, 10:26:51 pm »
It certainly does not disconnect for me - However, I'm running 8 identical machines so they probably run at the same speed for 99,99%.
Are you up to make some “donations” for working on getting Rush the Rock (or Crusn USA if that game appeals to you more) to work in link mode? I and many others are dying to get Rush working for 2p or 4p. It seems so close.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2023, 11:34:36 am »
I am also willing to contribute with donations.

If anyone is having disconnection problems in Rush 2049, I suggest you try the MAME 0249 version (similar number, right?) as it doesn't disconnect for me in that version. The same does not happen in Rush The Rock. My PC1 is a Ryzen 5 5600x with 32 GB ram and my PC2 is a 6th generation Core i5 with 16 GB ram. In the latest versions of MAME Rush 2049 it always disconnects for me.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2023, 08:26:01 pm »
I am also willing to contribute with donations.

If anyone is having disconnection problems in Rush 2049, I suggest you try the MAME 0249 version (similar number, right?) as it doesn't disconnect for me in that version. The same does not happen in Rush The Rock. My PC1 is a Ryzen 5 5600x with 32 GB ram and my PC2 is a 6th generation Core i5 with 16 GB ram. In the latest versions of MAME Rush 2049 it always disconnects for me.

Oh wow I need to try that version then! It never disconnects at all on Mame .249 or almost never? That is weird that it would have regressed since then on newer Mame versions but hopefully gives clues as to what is going on for Mame devs.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2023, 08:50:35 am »
I tested it dozens of times and it only disconnected once, but in recent versions it always disconnects. In MAME 0249 the oscillations of the opposing cars are much smaller as well. Did you take the test? Does the same happen for you?

xbrunox

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:48:30 am
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2023, 04:01:02 pm »
Hi All
someone Know if in windows7 there is a way for enable or disable a network bridge like this from command line?

thanks

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2023, 06:33:12 pm »
I was always curious to know if it was possible to link an original arcade game with an emulator, but I was too embarrassed to ask here on the forum for fear of talking nonsense. So I had the opportunity to purchase an original SFRush arcade, I tested it and to my surprise it worked. However, there are some problems that we already know about. In the video I use a Ryzen 5 5600x 32GB Ram, it doesn't disconnect but it shows instability in the cars. I also tested with a 6th generation Core i5 with 16GB Ram, it always disconnects, whether linked only with Ryzen, only with Arcade or all together. There are interesting details to note in the video, such as the loading time from one screen to another. There are also some repairs to be made to this arcade, such as getting the FFB to work, adjusting the screen geometry, etc. I tried updating to The Rock version following the steps in a YouTube video but it didn't work for me. The game had buggy sound and only had the first four racing tracks. Then I'll make a video and open a topic to see if anyone can help me with this update.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2023, 09:28:26 am »
Hi All
someone Know if in windows7 there is a way for enable or disable a network bridge like this from command line?

thanks

As far as I know, one of the steps was not built into Windows 7 or 10. If I recall, i want to say the bridging can be automated with netsh or powershell but I think it was right clicking the properties and clicking the checkbox is not possible out of the box. I think we can get a autohotkey to work if we tell it to mimic mouse clicks or possibly look into using something like SikuliX which is an automation tool that uses image recognition. Since California Speed works 100% and hopefully Rush works (100%) soon, it is probably something we all want to get automated. This assumes the vpn itself has no workaround.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2023, 09:34:05 am »
I was always curious to know if it was possible to link an original arcade game with an emulator, but I was too embarrassed to ask here on the forum for fear of talking nonsense. So I had the opportunity to purchase an original SFRush arcade, I tested it and to my surprise it worked. However, there are some problems that we already know about. In the video I use a Ryzen 5 5600x 32GB Ram, it doesn't disconnect but it shows instability in the cars. I also tested with a 6th generation Core i5 with 16GB Ram, it always disconnects, whether linked only with Ryzen, only with Arcade or all together. There are interesting details to note in the video, such as the loading time from one screen to another. There are also some repairs to be made to this arcade, such as getting the FFB to work, adjusting the screen geometry, etc. I tried updating to The Rock version following the steps in a YouTube video but it didn't work for me. The game had buggy sound and only had the first four racing tracks. Then I'll make a video and open a topic to see if anyone can help me with this update.

Oh wow! This is really great info to get to a solution to get these to work. I didn’t realize you could do this. Are you using a router/switch or directly connected network cable/crossover cable? Did you have to change ips or anything? What version of Mame and what are your vsync/throttle/frame skip settings? Before changing any of those, can you test Mame 0.249? Although I wonder if the improvements seen only apply to Rush 2049 for that version.

That is interesting that the cars oscillate like that. I don’t recall any oscillations/bouncing of the cars at all in my 1 pc 2 player testing and I don’t recall much on the 2 pc play through but the 2 pc version but I did not test long.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2023, 08:30:27 pm »
The procedure is the same for connecting two PCs. The ethernet cable from the arcade goes directly to the modem as if it were a PC, I'm sorry, I thought there was no need to show it. I'm using MAME 0.257 and the settings are:

Video Options :
Video Mode        bgfx
N.O.S.            1
Triple Buffering  ON
HLSL              OFF
GLSL              OFF
Bilinear Filt.    ON
Bitmap P.         1
Window Mode       OFF
E.A.R.            OFF
S.O.M.            ON
Sync. Refresh     ON
Wait Vert. Sync   ON

Advanced Options:
Auto frame skip:  OFF
Frame skip        0
Throttle          ON
Mute w.u.         OFF
Sleep             OFF
Speed             1
Adjust speed      ON
Low latency       ON

NOTE: I'm not sure if I'm using the best settings.

As for MAME 0.249, I wasn't interested in testing it, as with two PCs I noticed an improvement only with Rush 2049, but I'll test it with Arcade too (good idea). I never linked using just one PC, as I read that the settings for two steering wheels are very complicated and the screens are not full but windowed.

EDIT:
With an overclock on my i5 I was able to play the three tracks completely with 3 players without disconnection, using MAME 0.257. I need time to do extended testing, but it's been great and a lot of fun. I didn't have time to update to version 0.259, although it's quick, it's common to come across unpleasant configuration changes that need to be resolved immediately. MAME 0.249 definitely has no improvements for SFRush, but as I said previously it was the best version I found to play Rush 2049 linked, although I haven't tested all versions of MAME. I can't wait to update this arcade to The Rock version. I discovered that in addition to updating the HD I also need to update the chips with the correct eproms.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 08:47:22 pm by Super-Becker »

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2023, 08:05:12 am »
So with no overclock the i5 pc would always disconnect but with the overclock it ran to completion for all three tracks? That is one real arcade, one 6th gen i5 pc Mame racer, and one ryzen 5600x pc racer on Mame .257? Definitely let us know how further testing goes!

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2023, 01:40:11 am »
I played for longer and the i5 even with over clock disconnects, but much less. So I really need a better processor. But what I found interesting is that, even though we're not in the race, the linked arcade helps the PCs not disconnect. For example, without the arcade I needed to select the tracks and cars at the same time on both PCs. If there was waiting for one another, the players would start in independent races, even without opposing cars. With the linked arcade (even without being used for the race) I don't need to choose track and car at the same time on PCs, that is, even if one player chooses quickly, he can wait for the other to choose calmly and the race will start correctly. The oscillations between the cars were considerably smaller than when the arcade is in the race, which I found very strange since the arcade helps not to disconnect (in other words, it helps with synchronization, I believe).

Another curiosity is that with Bigtymer781's MAME 60fps it was the arcade that disconnected, but as it was a quick test it doesn't count as a rule.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2023, 05:26:13 pm »
Thanks for the update. Hopefully this helps get us closer to it working.

Does anyone know if the race leader light for Rush comes on in a 2+ player race when he racer is in the lead even when not in 1st place overall or do you have to be in 1st overall. I have made some custom race leader code that can be applied to any game with a simple lua script so I may update it to Rush if you have to be in 1st overall. That way when this is linkable whoever is leading will have the race leader light.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2023, 10:34:19 pm »
To answer my question, the race leader light only comes on when in 1st place overall. I may add it as an option so that it shows when you are ahead of other linked racers and not necessarily in 1st place overall if that is common.

As far as the Tap vpn adapter goes, I understand a little more about it now. This video here https://youtu.be/iAOk71M-oVs?si=d8CEPATMu_3rVi43 discussed that unlike newer games that communicate over ip address, Rush doesn’t have an ip address and instead just sends all traffic to all other Rush cabs simultaneously. So for that we need the Tap vpn to broadcast all (layer 2 osi model to get technical). He uses an old school hub/repeater that works at the layer 1 osi model (his exact one is a CentreCOM MR820TR). I wonder if using one of those would change anything instead of going over the tap vpn adapter especially if invoking at least one physical Rush machine and one Mame emulation pc. Did you say you are using a cat cable directly plugged from the pc directly to the Rush cab and not router currently? Also, he mentioned it looked like the MAC address was the same for both cabs. If this is true, we may need to check our Mame config file for Rush to make sure the same Mac is listed for each pc. I forget if that was the case already.

CentreCOM™ MR820TR
IEEE 802.3 10BASE-T / 10BASE2 / AUI
MULTIPORT MICRO HUB/REPEATER

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2023, 09:20:39 am »
jorgenjl2, I watched the video you mentioned and I didn't understand anything. From my layman's point of view, something needs to be corrected in the game's emulation and not in the linking process, considering that California Speed works perfectly. As for linking with arcade and PC, both are connected via an ethernet modem and not directly PC to the arcade. I managed to get the FFB to work in the arcade and I'm waiting for an eprom chip kit to arrive to update to The Rock version to make a new video with three players. Feel free to suggest something specific that you would like to be shown in the video. From my last post I was able to observe other interesting facts:
1) Twice there were buggy pixelated graphics in the arcade to the point where it was impossible to continue the game, requiring a restart. This problem may be related to a very old IDE HD but only occurred in link mode.
2) Sometimes disconnections on the part of the arcade (restarts alone).

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2023, 04:30:32 pm »
He is just using an old school repeater to show the network packets each Rush is sending and also setting it up so you can play Rush over a vpn remotely (by hooking a raspberry pi to each and then using wireless to connect to the vpn). You are probably right that the emulation for Rush may need to be fixed slightly but I am not sure if someone had an old school layer 1 hub that mimics the arcade to test or not. If California Speed works the exact same way as Rush then yes we probably need a Mame developer to fix it. Where is SailorSat when you need her  8)

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2024, 05:40:41 pm »
Hello,
         Been awhile since I had anything new to post here but thought I would share.. Broke down and built a new PC last week, Intel i5 13600, RTX 4060, fast m.2 ssd, Asus Tuf Gaming Wifi MB, 32gb Ram. Got Windows 11 Pro setup and fully updated then got a fully updated Mame .261 set, of which I have installed a total of 3 games of.  Rush 2049 Special Edition was one of them, got it all working pretty well using an Xbox controller. I decided it was time for my son and I to give Linked racing a shot again. the 2nd PC is a AMD 3900x, with a 1080Ti video card, Windows 11 Pro and it has my Thrustmaster TMX Wheel attached. I followed the instructions about how to set Rush games up on a Lan with 2 separate machines with the exception of I got the latest tap drivers, tap-windows-9.24.7-I601-Win10. My son and I just finished playing for a good 20 minutes or so, playing like 5 different tracks and things worked perfectly, like exactly how you would hope they would. Wanted to share, mostly because I am so excited I can hardly stand it. While this is of course not a super long test, previously we had never been able to finish 3 races without things crashing, and that was the record, it was normally much less. I was even using force feedback with the wheel, working well, as long as you do not have the game setup for Freeplay, I have NO CLUE why that makes a difference, but for me, I have to have the driving cab setup where you add coins manually and then play or the Force Feedback stuff goes crazy in game.

Quick shout out to the guys who posted the instructions many years ago, they have held up well!!

- Zeosstud

Bigtymer781

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2024, 12:19:08 pm »
Nice!

A theory that I had about the crashing/desyncing was that maybe it was caused by the emulation speed dropping below 100% (even for a second) on either game. With two powerful PC's maybe it would work fine.

I had no one to test it with offline, but it's nice to see it working for you.

There's this program called Parsec, it might be possible to play Rush over the internet with someone. I'd love to try it sometime.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2024, 10:53:35 pm »
Hello,
         Been awhile since I had anything new to post here but thought I would share.. Broke down and built a new PC last week, Intel i5 13600, RTX 4060, fast m.2 ssd, Asus Tuf Gaming Wifi MB, 32gb Ram. Got Windows 11 Pro setup and fully updated then got a fully updated Mame .261 set, of which I have installed a total of 3 games of.  Rush 2049 Special Edition was one of them, got it all working pretty well using an Xbox controller. I decided it was time for my son and I to give Linked racing a shot again. the 2nd PC is a AMD 3900x, with a 1080Ti video card, Windows 11 Pro and it has my Thrustmaster TMX Wheel attached. I followed the instructions about how to set Rush games up on a Lan with 2 separate machines with the exception of I got the latest tap drivers, tap-windows-9.24.7-I601-Win10. My son and I just finished playing for a good 20 minutes or so, playing like 5 different tracks and things worked perfectly, like exactly how you would hope they would. Wanted to share, mostly because I am so excited I can hardly stand it. While this is of course not a super long test, previously we had never been able to finish 3 races without things crashing, and that was the record, it was normally much less. I was even using force feedback with the wheel, working well, as long as you do not have the game setup for Freeplay, I have NO CLUE why that makes a difference, but for me, I have to have the driving cab setup where you add coins manually and then play or the Force Feedback stuff goes crazy in game.

Quick shout out to the guys who posted the instructions many years ago, they have held up well!!

- Zeosstud

Holy crap this is awesome. I will have to try it with the same Mame version and tap adapter version but on my older PCs (4th gen i7 and amd 3600) to see if it is the speed of the newer PCs or the Mame/Tap versions. Have you had any luck with Rush the Rock or only Rush 2049 SE?

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2024, 11:40:30 pm »
Sorry,
          Have not been on here for awhile, been knee deep in my Virtual Pinball restore. I have not tried Rush the Rock, literally only messed with Rust 2049 SE.. If I can free up a little time though, I will be happy to test and report back.

Zeosstud

bimm25e

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:28:13 pm
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2024, 02:34:37 pm »

Throwing in just a little tidbit here for people looking to troubleshoot linking arcade with real hardware. (SOOO AWESOME!!!!)

San Francisco Rush runs faster in mame than it does on actual hardware. My guess is original hardware actually lags just a little bit or its clock is just a little lower than advertised. Imperceptible but enough to add an entire second to a 5 minute race.

To qualify my opinion ill say i was the world record holder on track 2 until a couple months ago on the actual arcade cabinet and my times are faster in mame than they are on the cab consistently.