Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Options for CRT with component for retro emulation  (Read 2223 times)

deezdrama

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 09:45:32 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146268.0.html
Options for CRT with component for retro emulation
« on: December 22, 2019, 02:58:22 am »
In 2015 i built a 4 player hyperspin cabinet with atari 2600 all the way up to ps1. It uses a 32" led panel and the machine is great but over the years ive found things i want to change and definatelly want to move away from hyperspin and use a front end thats easier to setup for the next build..... A small form factor emulation/media/streaming pc

So here was my plans... Buy used i5 2500k, a used z77 mobo and overclock to 4.5ghz. 16gb ddr3.
Gtx 1060 6gb. 500w psu. Micro case.

I wanted it all setup to use from boot with a wireless controller. I wanted streaming tv apps, youtube, steam for newer PC games, wanted nes all the way up to ps2 (allready have most roms) , with all the goodies inbetween like turbo grafx/cd, sega cd/saturn, 3DO, some wii games, maybe some switch games if possible.

So the hardware was all pretty straight forward untill i stumbled across some vids of guys running retro emulation through higher end consumer grade crt tv sets with component inputs.
240p looks good, scanlines,black blacks, low lag, and great color depth made me want to try this out.

Then I remembered the higher end crt my mom still had. After a phone call im soon killing myself carrying the 27" to the car.
Its a panasonic CT-27SX11E with component

Now im super confused which way to go with the build and what connections i need.

I would love to keep the original emulator box build idea and use my lcd monitor for newer games and systems but be able to play the older systems on the crt as a secondary monitor.
Im not sure if this is possible, even if i ran a second video card with analog output - i dont even know if windows would be able to handle the multi display setup being that id have to run the crt at 15hz.
Knowing how windows always seems to mix up multiple monitors im worried about the crt getting blasted with the wrong signal and damaging it.

So then i thought....maybe i would just sacrifice the tv streaming, steam games and just build a retro console emulator with everything running on the crt.

If thats the case i probably need an ati/amd video card as ive read crt emu-driver wont run with nvidia.

I have an old gtx 7700 2gb with analog but being nvidia i dont think ill be able to use it.
I dont want to use my main rig (7700k gtx1080) for this system so need to build a new (used parts) pc.
Ive ordered an i5 2500k, mobo, and ram but holding off on video card untill I know what to get.

I havnt followed the emulation scene in years so not sure where to start.

What vid card should i be looking for? I was going to use a gtx 1060 but if i run the crt it complicates things.

Is it possible to have a run all system and send older games to the crt? Or do i just need to make a crt retro specific system that keeps 15khz and no secondary lcd for newer games?

Theres so many cabling options im not sure exactly what i need. I know i dont want digital conversions going on so probably need passive vga to component or dvi to vga to component......
Is this the best option for best image?

Whats the preferred frontend if i dont want to spend months configuring like i had to with hyperspin on my arcade cab?

Should I just build the emulator PC for a modern monitor like I originally planned and use a wii for retro gaming on the crt?
Is it possible to run a frontend on wii or will i have to navigate the emus menus for each system/core/rom?
Will the wii output 240p with just a wii component cable?

Sorry for all the questions, im in ocd mode thinking about all the options and looking for advice

Any other options, opinions, or suggestions?
Thanks

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 02:25:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Options for CRT with component for retro emulation
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 12:12:45 pm »
I tried to do a build with a gtx750ti, but ended up ditching that and getting an AMD 6450 and using a vga to component converter. It works reall well with grooveymame and crt emudriver (that's an adventure in itself)
I have a build thread http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160370.0.html

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 01:30:40 pm »
I tried to do a build with a gtx750ti, but ended up ditching that and getting an AMD 6450 and using a vga to component converter. It works reall well with grooveymame and crt emudriver (that's an adventure in itself)
I have a build thread http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160370.0.html

Whats the more demanding emulators you can run?
I was really wanting an all in one system that could run all old stuff and newer systems like wii, and switch and wondering if I should just get a gtx 1060 6b and be able to do it all and just send a digital conversion signal to the crt as secondary monitor for older systems (will loose quality)

or

Get an older amd card and have a crt specific system

or

Just use a wii for 240p emulation and build the pc emulator box as originally planned

EDIT.... upon some reading it looks like the wii idea wont work as its not powerful enough for emulation of systems i want
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 07:37:20 pm by deezdrama »

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 10:39:46 am »
Not too sure how much power you need to do what you want, but honestly a 1060 will play nearly any modern PC game, and I’m no expert but I think is much more powerful than a consol.. I did use an Extron converter for a bit, it is great and would be fine to send a second monitor to crt via vga>component but I wanted better than the interlaced image and went with a dedicated low res system

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 11:01:36 am »
Yeah, thats the problem.
My original idea was using a 1060 on a modern lcd panel.

Now that I got the 27" crt with component and experienced 240p with emulation on it through my wii , I now want to run all older emulated consoles on the CRT.

So now Im thinking ill just get a 1060 or use a 1080 I have for modern games on the lcd, and get a secondary older AMD card with analog output to feed the CRT using CRT-emudriver.

Any recommendations on what analog, older AMD card that would handle up to sega saturn, dreamcast, wii, ps2 emulation?
I know the R9 cards were the last to have analog out but they are selling for too much on ebay and if I can get by with a cheaper card then I would like to.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 12:19:22 am »
ok, i bought a 2500k setup, 16gb ddr3, 1tb ssd, amd r9 380 ..... this will be my CRT emulation box, nes up to wii/dreamcast/psx

Then I bought a asus p8z77 micro motherboard and a i5 3570k. Ill eventually end up getting ram and a gtx 1060 6gb for this and overclock it, it will eventually replace my aged x5460/775 overclocked quadcore thats in my arcade cabinet.

So..... All I need now is a high quality db15 to component transcoder. Ive been looking for all the ones I hear recommended but hitting dead ends. Anyone have any suggestion for a transcoder?

Got the wii hooked up to the CRT for now through component and I think its looking pretty good. Cant wait untill the emubox is finished.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 12:28:34 am by deezdrama »

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 11:31:04 am »

The retrotek is one ive looked for, and looked at the rgb2comp. Couldnt find either one anywhere. rgb2comp is sold out and dont know if hes making more. Then there was a guy on one of these forums who made and sold good ones but his ebay link brings up an error now.
Just searched for the Audio Authority 9A60A-b VGA to Component Converter and there is none on ebay and discontinued/sold out on their website.

This is only thing I can find and from the reviews all the pots need adjusted
https://www.amazon.com/SPECIALTY-AV-SCA ... 662&sr=8-2

and then use one of these...
https://www.amazon.com/PRO-SIGNAL-SCART ... 737&sr=8-7

with this connected to the gpu...

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Converter ... 797&sr=8-6

Its looking like this is my only option, unless anyone knows of any online supplier who still has the audio authority transcoder

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 08:12:18 pm »
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173826211525
I don’t know if you can find these transcoders anymore, but the one I have works great